The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Its good to know that the Professionals have blarges as well!!!! All year, I have been working on no prelims...and it has kept me out of trouble several times.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

I wish they would just get rid of that arc because the NBA referees should be good enough to call it correctly without the line there.

Also, I think the line is a defensive disadvantage because it is like having a virtual screen set if you want to get a legal guarding position.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Completely agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

The same should happen in our Fed games if a player taking a charge was standing on the OOB line and two conflicting signals happen. If one officials shares with the other that B was OOB, then by rule you have a block. Now, if the PC official's judgment remains that B was IB, then I think you have to go with the DF.

This is an old topic that I hesitate to raise...but....not necessarily. B1 only gives up LGP by being OOB. They don't get automatically pegged with a foul. If they were moving, jumping, etc., they get the foul. If they were there in a manner where LGP was not a factor, they don't necessarily get the foul. The rule ONLY says that a player can't have LGP while OOB...nothing more.

All the case plays addressing the issue make one important implication...that the defender was acvtively guarding the opponent. And by actively guarding, I mean moving in an attempt to maintain position but stepping OOB in the process. The defender gets the foul because the were OOB since the actions they were engaged in required LGP to be legal.

Much like a player stationary in the lane with their back to a dribble/drive who doesn't have LGP, the player who is OOB can still be fouled in the right circumstances; the offensive player can commit a foul that is not a charge, but a push, hold, illegal use of hands, etc. None of those are impacted by LGP and, as a result, have no dependancy on being inbounds or OOB.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 05:02pm.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliref
I wish they would just get rid of that arc because the NBA referees should be good enough to call it correctly without the line there.

Also, I think the line is a defensive disadvantage because it is like having a virtual screen set if you want to get a legal guarding position.
This is the reason that the restricted area was implemented! The NBA wanted more drives to the basket. The secondary defender would jump over and take away those drives to the basket.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 08:56am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliref

The arc has nothing at all to do with the ability of the referees. The referees are good enough to call it correctly whether the arc is there or not.

As All Heart mentioned, the purpose of the arc is to prevent "cheap" charges being picked up by secondary defenders. The NBA philosophy is that if you are that close to the basket, you're not really playing defense; you're only there to try and draw a charge. They don't mind having offensive fouls, but they don't want people taking a position with the sole purpose of drawing the offensive foul.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 09:14am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
They don't mind having offensive fouls, but they don't want people taking a position with the sole purpose of drawing the offensive foul.
Yup, that would be called "playing help defense". And "help defense" is frowned on in the NBA because it would cut down scoring. And besides cutting down scoring, you wouldn't see all of those awesome dunks from players who otherwise usually can't dribble, pass or shoot a 15 footer. And you also wouldn't get to see those players who just made that awesome dunk pound his chest, point at the defender he dunked on, dance, and perform all of those other little post-dunk acts that we've grown to know and love....all while the other team is going 5 on 4 the other way.

The NBA......fantaaaaastic......
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
The NBA rules have made it to the stands of high school gyms all around us. I was working my last game of the season two weeks ago, when we had a charge about where the semi-cirlce would be on a NBA court.

Same fan, in the same seat, every year I've been there, yells out "How is that a charge, he was too far under the basket?!"

We have a load of subs coming in and he asks
"Isn't therea rule about that?"
"only in the NBA" i say.
he replies "kind of like traveling isn't in there rule book but its in the HS one?"
"yeah, kind of like that." I smile and we go on.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
You know what? That's right. I forgot about that. I think there's a ruling about a difference of opinion NOT involving the Restricted Area. I had forgotten about that. Excellent point.
Yeah in block/charge plays that don't involve the RA it is a double foul and resume from the POI.

Jurassic,

There is help defense. All our RA plays involve secondary defenders. Primary defenders don't have to be outside the RA to take a charge. We just don't want guys running in there and undercuting guys like they do in college. Its a safety thing and an opening up the lane thing like you said. What's wrong with opening up the lane for more scoring? What would you rather watch and referee, a game in the 50s or in the 90s?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
1) All our RA plays involve secondary defenders. Primary defenders don't have to be outside the RA to take a charge. We just don't want guys running in there and undercuting guys like they do in college.

2) What would you rather watch and referee, a game in the 50s or in the 90s?
1) Our? We? Did you skip high school ball before you got a chance to do a varsity game and move straight into the NBA? If so, congratulations.

2) I'd rather watch any game at any level from any time period than the current doo-doo that they're playing (supposedly) in to-day's NBA. The NBA is unwatchable imo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 12:46pm.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Our? We? Did you skip high school ball before you got a chance to do avarsity game and move right into the NBA? If so, congratulations.

2) I'd rather watch any game at any level from any time period than the current doo-doo that they're playing (supposedly) in to-day's NBA. The NBA is unwatchable.
But the pay is out of this world, not to meantion the respect!!!!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Our? We? Did you skip high school ball before you got a chance to do a varsity game and move straight into the NBA? If so, congratulations.
Quite possible that he works somewhere that utilizes the same rules.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

I love help side defense. Nothing is better than seeing a defensive player stop somebody from going into the lane for an easy layup by getting pounded by the guy driving to the basket and then seeing the ref wave off the basket and point the other way.

Back in the day when I was playing HS ball, I took a charge and prevented this guy from dunking and he was so pissed he wanted to fight me and he got ejected.