The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

T on the crowd

The crowd at San Diego was just assessed a technical foul for throwing objects onto the floor with about 8 minutes left in the 2nd half of their game versus Gonzaga.
About one minute earlier a warning announcement was made over the PA system by the home coach.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

really? for the refs? I've seen a couple of their games and their crowds aren't crazy at all. thats a bit of a shock. Must have been hyped about the game being on tv and got out of control.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:42am
Official Forum Member

Some people gotta learn the hard way.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 07:03am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Anyone that reads Nevada's post can now no longer say that they've never heard of "that call".
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

I never will forget that SEC game involving Florida (don't remember who the home team was) where fans rained tennis balls down on the floor in the closing seconds after a foul was call on some guy named Dwayne somebody (actually, a nobody). This POS (Dwayne) had done something that amounted to assault that involved either a tennis racket, a tennis player, or both -- I don't recall. Anyway, Florida was down by only a couple and after a T, ended up winning.

It was hilarious, though.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I never will forget that SEC game involving Florida (don't remember who the home team was) where fans rained tennis balls down on the floor in the closing seconds after a foul was call on some guy named Dwayne somebody (actually, a nobody). This POS (Dwayne) had done something that amounted to assault that involved either a tennis racket, a tennis player, or both -- I don't recall. Anyway, Florida was down by only a couple and after a T, ended up winning.

Haha, seems like you already forgot most of it!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Back in 2000 or 2001, IIRC, a T was assessed against Notre Dame for fans throwing coins on the court at the end of a close game. Visiting team goes on to win, ND didn't make the NCAA tourny, and there were definitely some who thought that they may have gotten an at-large bid had they won that game.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

ucsb tops em all
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

For a very brief time (thankfully), some fans at Oregon stole the Central Michigan ritual of throwing toilet tissue onto the floor to celebrate the Chippewas first goal of the game. [Back when Dan Marjerle played there.]

Sure enough, a Duck missed a bunny and one lone roll sailed over my head, landing at mid-court near Richie Ballesteros, who promptly assessed a T.

That was a dumb "tradition."
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Not a fan of throwing things on the court or coachs ripping officials, but around here the most fondly remembered incident of throwing items on the court is capsulized in Billy Tubbs announcing to the crowd, "The referees request that regardless of how terrible the officiating is, do not throw stuff on the floor."
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Not a fan of throwing things on the court or coachs ripping officials, but around here the most fondly remembered incident of throwing items on the court is capsulized in Billy Tubbs announcing to the crowd, "The referees request that regardless of how terrible the officiating is, do not throw stuff on the floor."
LOL!!! I spent many good years at OU. Class of 96 and 98.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
really? for the refs? I've seen a couple of their games and their crowds aren't crazy at all. thats a bit of a shock. Must have been hyped about the game being on tv and got out of control.
Couple of possibilities........
1) All WCC crowds get jacked up when Gonzaga comes to town. Gonzaga has dominated the conference for quite a few years now.
2) San Diego's coach is in his 1st year there and came from Gonzaga as a long-time assistant of Mark Few.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official
Class of 96 and 98.
So you had a split schedule?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:54pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

That was Dwayne Schintzus (sp.?) who I believe went on to the NBA for a number of years. During the summer before his junior year, he assaulted somebody with a tennis racquet. He was truly a POS. Best story I ever heard about him was when someone off campus marveled at how tall he was (I think 6'10") and asked him " How's the weather up there?". He proceeded to spit on them and said "It's raining".

(edited for spelling)