The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T on the crowd (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42016-t-crowd.html)

Nevadaref Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:42am

T on the crowd

The crowd at San Diego was just assessed a technical foul for throwing objects onto the floor with about 8 minutes left in the 2nd half of their game versus Gonzaga.
About one minute earlier a warning announcement was made over the PA system by the home coach.

lpbreeze Tue Feb 19, 2008 02:11am

really? for the refs? I've seen a couple of their games and their crowds aren't crazy at all. thats a bit of a shock. Must have been hyped about the game being on tv and got out of control.

canuckrefguy Tue Feb 19, 2008 02:42am

Some people gotta learn the hard way. :confused:

JugglingReferee Tue Feb 19, 2008 07:03am

Anyone that reads Nevada's post can now no longer say that they've never heard of "that call". ;)

Texas Aggie Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:44pm

I never will forget that SEC game involving Florida (don't remember who the home team was) where fans rained tennis balls down on the floor in the closing seconds after a foul was call on some guy named Dwayne somebody (actually, a nobody). This POS (Dwayne) had done something that amounted to assault that involved either a tennis racket, a tennis player, or both -- I don't recall. Anyway, Florida was down by only a couple and after a T, ended up winning.

It was hilarious, though.

grunewar Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I never will forget that SEC game involving Florida (don't remember who the home team was) where fans rained tennis balls down on the floor in the closing seconds after a foul was call on some guy named Dwayne somebody (actually, a nobody). This POS (Dwayne) had done something that amounted to assault that involved either a tennis racket, a tennis player, or both -- I don't recall. Anyway, Florida was down by only a couple and after a T, ended up winning.

Haha, seems like you already forgot most of it! :D

Mark Dexter Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55pm

Back in 2000 or 2001, IIRC, a T was assessed against Notre Dame for fans throwing coins on the court at the end of a close game. Visiting team goes on to win, ND didn't make the NCAA tourny, and there were definitely some who thought that they may have gotten an at-large bid had they won that game.

lpbreeze Wed Feb 20, 2008 01:35am

ucsb tops em all

MadCityRef Wed Feb 20, 2008 01:40am

For a very brief time (thankfully), some fans at Oregon stole the Central Michigan ritual of throwing toilet tissue onto the floor to celebrate the Chippewas first goal of the game. [Back when Dan Marjerle played there.]

Sure enough, a Duck missed a bunny and one lone roll sailed over my head, landing at mid-court near Richie Ballesteros, who promptly assessed a T.

That was a dumb "tradition."

BoomerSooner Wed Feb 20, 2008 01:44am

Not a fan of throwing things on the court or coachs ripping officials, but around here the most fondly remembered incident of throwing items on the court is capsulized in Billy Tubbs announcing to the crowd, "The referees request that regardless of how terrible the officiating is, do not throw stuff on the floor."

Da Official Wed Feb 20, 2008 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Not a fan of throwing things on the court or coachs ripping officials, but around here the most fondly remembered incident of throwing items on the court is capsulized in Billy Tubbs announcing to the crowd, "The referees request that regardless of how terrible the officiating is, do not throw stuff on the floor."

LOL!!! I spent many good years at OU. Class of 96 and 98.

IUgrad92 Wed Feb 20, 2008 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpbreeze
really? for the refs? I've seen a couple of their games and their crowds aren't crazy at all. thats a bit of a shock. Must have been hyped about the game being on tv and got out of control.

Couple of possibilities........
1) All WCC crowds get jacked up when Gonzaga comes to town. Gonzaga has dominated the conference for quite a few years now.
2) San Diego's coach is in his 1st year there and came from Gonzaga as a long-time assistant of Mark Few.

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 20, 2008 07:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official
Class of 96 and 98.

So you had a split schedule? :confused:

Bad Zebra Wed Feb 20, 2008 08:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

That was Dwayne Schintzus (sp.?) who I believe went on to the NBA for a number of years. During the summer before his junior year, he assaulted somebody with a tennis racquet. He was truly a POS. Best story I ever heard about him was when someone off campus marveled at how tall he was (I think 6'10") and asked him " How's the weather up there?". He proceeded to spit on them and said "It's raining".

(edited for spelling)