Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

It does! Thanks
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 01:27am
In Memoriam

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Martin on 02-29-2000 11:27 AM
First, I would like to say that I am a second year offical, and I am learning alot about the game just by reading the disscussion board and following the advice of my fellow officals. I was working a 7th grade CYO contest,when I made a shooting foul call, when I realized after the fact, that there was no foul. I was caught out of position on the play and anticipated the contact. Needless to say, the crowd went nuts,obviously seeing no contact. At that point, the players mother stood up, to protest tha call by shouting curses my way. Now, I was never when to let insults affect me,but officiating ia a catholic basketball league, with young kids participating, I felt she stept way over the line. Any advice on how to handle this situation.

Martin, don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
After you have blown that whistle that you wished you had swallowed (Sounds like my brand. That's another reason I use the Fox Mini)and finding no place to hide...
You can immediately call an inadvertant whistle and just apologize (which is what I usually do), ... or...
You can bend over and pick something imaginary off the floor in the interest of player safety, maybe it was your contact lens , which I am trying to put into my game.
mick
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Wow, cursing at a CYO 7 grade game (and not by the Coach). I hope the priest was there to take Confession from these MOTHERS right away!!!. Kidding aside, if you do say Inadvertant whistle, which at that level, I as a referee and also as a Coach have no problem with, what to do with possession. You go to AP because the ball left the shooters hand. Now the fun part, the majority of the time the defense rebounds. Now if the offense had the AP going their way, you know the coach of the defense will be more upset by losing the ball (Unless that was his best players 5th foul!!!). I don't think I would do that past 8th grade or doing any tournament play. At that point, just sell it and move on. Otherwise, the coaches will be on you every whistle!!!
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

The home team is expected to control their fans. They can make an announcement that unsportsmanlike conduct from the fans will not be tolerated. If this continues to such a point that it "makes a travesty of the game" the officials can call the game over and a forfeit. The final score is 2-0. I've seen it done in upstate NY CYO game. My son's team was on the winning team.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree with the idea that you need to get the game administrator and let them handle. I used to have trouble with anticipating calls too. Try this. When you are officiating, with your arms at your side grab your pants just below the pockets. You don't have to make it too obvious. It will help you slow down your call just that fraction of a second that you need. If you do it discretely no one will even notice.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

First, I would like to say that I am a second year offical, and I am learning alot about the game just by reading the disscussion board and following the advice of my fellow officals. I was working a 7th grade CYO contest,when I made a shooting foul call, when I realized after the fact, that there was no foul. I was caught out of position on the play and anticipated the contact. Needless to say, the crowd went nuts,obviously seeing no contact. At that point, the players mother stood up, to protest tha call by shouting curses my way. Now, I was never when to let insults affect me,but officiating ia a catholic basketball league, with young kids participating, I felt she stept way over the line. Any advice on how to handle this situation.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Hey. Not much you can really do in that situation. best thing for you to do is to get the game administrator and inform them of the situation. I had kids throwing candy on the floor at me durign one game. I would have loved to have doen soemthign, but by federation rules you are restricted in your actions. Hope this helps.
Old Tue Feb 29, 2000, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Martin, we all have a call we wish we had back or wish we had made. I think the best thing is to just report the foul and get the game going again. learn from it. don't worry about the fans, that will take care of itself. Try putting your tongue in your whistle, this will help you slow down. All coaches would rather have a late whistle than a phantom foul. good luck, do yourself a faver and go to camps.