Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Point taken.......thanks everyone......
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
Suppose the kid was a rule book junkie and he knew he was within the rules to stand behind the shooter and refused to move. What would be your course of action then?
As stated in my earlier response, I would have not told the player he had to move. But seeing as I am very familiar with the environment in which IREFU2 was officiating this game I can understand why he did what he did.

It may have been the wrong decision but it was for the right reasons.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I had the same thing once and t'd him

The difference is I did hear what he said, something like, "you know you can't make that shot." Tech foul, unsporting conduct, taunting.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
As stated in my earlier response, I would have not told the player he had to move. But seeing as I am very familiar with the environment in which IREFU2 was officiating this game I can understand why he did what he did.

It may have been the wrong decision but it was for the right reasons.
Two questions.

What are the right reasons?

What do you do if he doesn't move?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
Suppose the kid was a rule book junkie and he knew he was within the rules to stand behind the shooter and refused to move. What would be your course of action then?
Call a Technical foul on the player. Even though the officials directive to move was not founded by rule, the player should still follow the official's instruction. Failure to obey an official's instruction can be construed as unsportsmanlike conduct and thus worthy of a T. I know this ruling will probably not be met with alot of support, but I've seen it upheld.

The following example happened to a buddy of mine. During a 1-1 situation, he thought they were shooting two and as such he told A6 that he had to wait until after the first shot. A6 then turned to his coach who told him to go ahead and sub in. This was met with a T from my friend. Team A ended up losing by 1 point (B made both of the technical FT's). Although the FT's were in the 2nd quarter, Coach A made stink about how that cost his team the game. He took his case to the OSSAA and they informed him that while the official had made a mistake in not allowing the substitution, the resulting T was still correct as the player had not been properly beckoned onto the court. As such the comparison can be made to this situation that while the official was wrong, so was the player for disobeying the order to move.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 06:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Call a Technical foul on the player. Even though the officials directive to move was not founded by rule, the player should still follow the official's instruction. Failure to obey an official's instruction can be construed as unsportsmanlike conduct and thus worthy of a T. I know this ruling will probably not be met with a lot of support, but I've seen it upheld.
Whoever upheld it hasn't got a clue when it comes to the rules.

You're advocating calling a technical foul on a player for doing something that is perfectly legal by rule? What's wrong with that picture?

Good luck with that.....

Terrible advice imo.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
The following example happened to a buddy of mine. During a 1-1 situation, he thought they were shooting two and as such he told A6 that he had to wait until after the first shot. A6 then turned to his coach who told him to go ahead and sub in. This was met with a T from my friend. Team A ended up losing by 1 point (B made both of the technical FT's). Although the FT's were in the 2nd quarter, Coach A made stink about how that cost his team the game. He took his case to the OSSAA and they informed him that while the official had made a mistake in not allowing the substitution, the resulting T was still correct as the player had not been properly beckoned onto the court. As such the comparison can be made to this situation that while the official was wrong, so was the player for disobeying the order to move.
A player can't enter unless beckoned. It's a T to do so. It has nothing to do with the official's mistake. That's why the OSSAA backed the official, not because he told the player to do something that was legal to do. But according to you, it's a T because he did something unsporting. Simply not true.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
I'm not suggesting this is the route that I would take by any means. I'm just making the point that in essense the ruling was that even though the official is in error, a resulting call that is correct (such as a the T) is upheld. I'm humble enough to realize that I'm going to make a mistake or two on the court, and when I do I still have to enforce the rest of the rules as required. If an official is in error about a rule the players don't get the authority to just defy an official even if what they are doing is legal.

Like I said, I'm not going to get into this situation because I wouldn't be moving the player in the OP, but an incorrect ruling doesn't suspend an officials authority.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 06:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Two questions.

What are the right reasons?

What do you do if he doesn't move?
He was legitmately concerned that the player was saying something that would instigate a fight.

As I said, I would not have told the player to move. I would have given a very stern reminder about disconcertion prior to the 2nd free throw.