The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Disconcertion or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41936-disconcertion-not.html)

IREFU2 Fri Feb 15, 2008 09:47am

Disconcertion or not?

I had a play at the free throw line. I was the trail and the defender was standing directly behind the free thrower during a two shot free throw. I could see his lips moving, but really couldnt hear him say anything. After the first attempt, I made him back off and move from behind the thrower. Is there any kind of rule about this? I know about the disconcertion rule, but what about being directly behind the thrower???

Da Official Fri Feb 15, 2008 09:57am

As long as the non shooting player is behind the 3pt line and above the FT line the player can legally stand anywhere on the floor for the most part. As the official you are however allowed to tell the player to move if you think the player is attempting to distract the shooter. I wouldn't call disconcertion unless I know for certain the player is distracting the shooter.

IREFU2 Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:13am

Yeah, that was my point. So I made him move and didnt call the disconcertion on the first try. I couldnt verify that we was actually saying anything.

Raymond Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Yeah, that was my point. So I made him move and didnt call the disconcertion on the first try. I couldnt verify that we was actually saying anything.

I would have given a warning and then listened very carefully during next free throw. I would not have moved the defender though.

-----------------------------------------
Rob, give me a holla at my work number.

IREFU2 Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:55am

It was a heated game and I didnt want anything stupid to happen....preventive officiating!!!

ref2coach Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:58am

What was your "rules" basis for moving the player from his legal location outside the 3 point line and above the free throw line extended?

IREFU2 Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:02am

If you look at Rule #2, Section 3 - The referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules......I made a decision that I felt was warrented due to the nature of the game......

BktBallRef Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:08am

Quote:

It was a heated game and I didnt want anything stupid to happen....preventive officiating!!!

Preventive officiating is not telling a player that he can't do something that's legal. Your 2-3 reference is BS, since the rules state that he can stand there. You can't use 2-3 to justify everything you don't like.

If he's disconcerting, call it.

If you don't know, then you either move closer so you can make the call or you preventive officiating by warning him not to disconcert the shooter.

But you have no authority to tell him he can't stand there.

Sorry, you can be defensive if you want to but there's no rule basis for what you did. It was wrong.

ref2coach Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:13am

Quote:

points not specifically covered in the rules.

But it is specifically "covered". The "location" is defined in the rules and "disconcerting" is defined. The player was in a legal location and you stated that you were unable to determine if he "disconcerted" the free thrower.

You could warn him and closely observe him but you had no authority to move him.

IREFU2 Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:18am

Thats your opinion....In the game we had it was warrented. I just asked him politely to move from behind that shooter and I am not using 2-3 to justify everything. It was my call and I will stand by it. Thanks for your input.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If he's disconcerting, call it.

If you don't know, then you either move closer so you can make the call or you preventive officiating by warning him not to disconcert the shooter.

But you have no authority to tell him he can't stand there.

..... there's no rule basis for what you did. It was wrong.

Agree. Those are your only choices, by rule. Warn/call.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

I just asked him politely to move from behind that shooter and I am not using 2-3 to justify everything. It was my call and I will stand by it. Thanks for your input.

What rule <b>did</b> you use to justify it?:confused:

IREFU2 Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
What rule did you use to justify it?:confused:

I used 2-3, but i guess I was wrong according to everyone here. Its evident that I dont have the "authority" to tell the players to do anything......thanks for everyones responses and input.

Dan_ref Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:00pm

Quote:

I used 2-3, but i guess I was wrong according to everyone here. Its evident that I dont have the "authority" to tell the players to do anything......thanks for everyones responses and input.

You obviously can tell a player whatever you like.

Just as obviously you do not have the authority to make them obey you on matters outside of the rules.

Red_Killian Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27pm

Then what?

Suppose the kid was a rule book junkie and he knew he was within the rules to stand behind the shooter and refused to move. What would be your course of action then?