View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 16, 2008, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
Suppose the kid was a rule book junkie and he knew he was within the rules to stand behind the shooter and refused to move. What would be your course of action then?
Call a Technical foul on the player. Even though the officials directive to move was not founded by rule, the player should still follow the official's instruction. Failure to obey an official's instruction can be construed as unsportsmanlike conduct and thus worthy of a T. I know this ruling will probably not be met with alot of support, but I've seen it upheld.

The following example happened to a buddy of mine. During a 1-1 situation, he thought they were shooting two and as such he told A6 that he had to wait until after the first shot. A6 then turned to his coach who told him to go ahead and sub in. This was met with a T from my friend. Team A ended up losing by 1 point (B made both of the technical FT's). Although the FT's were in the 2nd quarter, Coach A made stink about how that cost his team the game. He took his case to the OSSAA and they informed him that while the official had made a mistake in not allowing the substitution, the resulting T was still correct as the player had not been properly beckoned onto the court. As such the comparison can be made to this situation that while the official was wrong, so was the player for disobeying the order to move.