The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure you can be too quick on the trigger in an 8th grade game. I have no problem with him whacking a coach for that statement at that level. In a V game that coach would be finished complaining for the night and I would alert my partners to that fact.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bgleason@neonin
It was to quick. I might use that occasion to make a suggestion to the inexperienced partner. Never ask for something to be repeated; you invited that comment. It is easy when they give you a You Suck comment, that is an automatic T. I like to have the whole gym see a coach earn a Technical.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80
Last week, I had a JV coach scream to his players "next time they touch you, knock them the hell out!". He was telling one of my partners about how we were missing some moving screens. None of the 3 of us really saw anything but, that type of comment deserves a T every time, wouldn't you guys say?

I don't think so. Maybe it was his way of telling the players to be strong with the ball? He isn't directly commenting on your officiating, I would ignore it. Just call the fouls when his players "knock them the hell out."
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I don't think so. Maybe it was his way of telling the players to be strong with the ball? He isn't directly commenting on your officiating, I would ignore it. Just call the fouls when his players "knock them the hell out."
Interesting. I keep replaying this in my mind - but I do stand by the T. If he says it during a TO or something I'm going to ignore it. But when he said it during a dead ball, for the whole gym to hear, I felt I had to get it.

I could be wrong, that's just how I see it.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

In a JV game I have no problem with that T at all. In a varsity game, I'm ignoring it. Just my opinion of course.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Good point. I like to hear opposing opinions. It's good to hear other sides or other solutions to a situation.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I'm a first year guy. I've done about 60 games.

Not one T. Yes.. coaches complain, but I've yet to hear a magic word, or have them read a decible level that wasn't quelmed with a simple "thats enough coach".

Thats just me. I've come close... but they all seem to know that look that I give them... and they shut it.

I'm SURE I'll have to eventually, but havn't had to yet.
60 games in a row is a lot of games to go without a technical foul. Every game is different, and perhaps you're just on a streak of good luck. I write here just to remind you that, as a first year official, you may not have a real good sense of when to/when not to issue the T. (Then again, if you've been "around the game" even while not officiating, you might have this good sense.) Ask experienced officials in your area whether they would issue Ts given various circumstances you've faced. In the end, be glad when you go through the good streaks and be ready to call the foul when and where it is warranted. Thanks for joining the ranks.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

I think most officials, at least the ones that last, go through phases. The first year is spent taking too much. The second year is spent not taking anything. In the third year we start to figure out how and when to use T's and/or talking to manage the game. Sounds to me like this partner is in phase 2. That's a hopeful sign for the future.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I think most officials, at least the ones that last, go through phases. The first year is spent taking too much. The second year is spent not taking anything. In the third year we start to figure out how and when to use T's and/or talking to manage the game. Sounds to me like this partner is in phase 2. That's a hopeful sign for the future.
I think this is a very true statement. I know I had my season when I threw a few unwarranted ones.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Math Equation:

AC + "YOU" = T

Assistant Coaches should never be addressing the officials about calls. If its not too beligerent, I will politely tell the Head Coach that if HE has as question about an incident, I will be glad to discuss it with him, but he better get control of his bench before it comes back to haunt him.