The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Warning for delay?

Team B makes a basket, as it comes through the net, A1 strikes it with her hand causing it to kick away. There's probably 20 feet or more of room at that end of the court. Weird setup. Anyway, she hits the ball, it goes toward the back of the gym. I hit the whistle, go to the table and report a warning for delay on team A. Keep in mind it was going to be team A's ball. Coach says "we were going to be on offense". At that point i just told the coach that a delay is a delay and left it at that.

I'm interested in if this was correct more than if it's "acceptable" or not. My rationale after the fact is what if Team A is up by 2 w/ time running down and they do this so more time can run off the clock. I guess you could start your 5 count while they run to get the ball since their player is the one who knocked it away? Help!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

I see two options in the scenario if you deem it intentional: technical foul if they are trying to "run clock" like you say by delaying making the ball available, or if they hit it intentionally, but it accidentally gets away from them (they contacted the ball but didn't do it to send it far away in your judgement), I start the 5 second count.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

the team i warned was down like 25 points at the time
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
Then I either call a T or start the 5 second count.

The way I'm envisioning this play, I just start the 5 second count and see if she can get the ball and get it in before that 5 is up. That will send the message loud and clear and is perfectly within the rules.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
tick; tick; tick. It's their time wasting away. Start five second count
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 06:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Geeze, tell her to take her time getting it.

I know that you didn't want to hear whether it's acceptable, but....it's not acceptable. It's.... well....being an OOO. Yes, there are situations where you should stop the clock and issuer a formal warning. This isn't one of them though imo.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Feb 12, 2008 at 06:32am.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

I know that you didn't want to hear whether it's acceptable, but....it's not acceptable. It's.... well....being an OOO. Yes, there are situations where you should stop the clock and issuer a formal warning. This isn't one of them though imo.
I agree. I got all excited about giving out a warning I guess. I think they just wanted the game to get over quicker so they didn't get beat by 50.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Possibly A1 wasn't really thinking about how far the ball was going to go when she hit it?

At this point in this game (as it has been described), that's one I'm going to let go. If they wasted a lot of time, I might start a 5 count. But not until they have secured the ball and were in a position to make a throw-in. That way the 5 count would send a message to keep the game moving, but isn't likely to cause a turnover.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

One has to use some reasonable judgment here. There is NO WAY that I'm penalizing a team which is down by 25 for this. I would either just allow the clock to run while they fetch the ball or I might sound the whistle to stop the clock and then allow the team to retrieve it. Either way, I'm not starting the 5-second count due to the blow out situation and I'm certainly not issuing a delay warning on the throwing team EVER!!!
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Nevada Ref

Hey free some PM space.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

One has to use some reasonable judgment here. There is NO WAY that I'm penalizing a team which is down by 25 for this. I would either just allow the clock to run while they fetch the ball or I might sound the whistle to stop the clock and then allow the team to retrieve it. Either way, I'm not starting the 5-second count due to the blow out situation and I'm certainly not issuing a delay warning on the throwing team EVER!!!
simmer down w/ the red and bold fonts. Just wanted to share my goof w/ the rest of you. I learned from it and I'll have a more patient whistle next time to avoid this in the future.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

That wasn't directed at you. I was merely trying to stress how crazy it is for any official to make that call. It doesn't meet the intent and purpose of the rule. An official must always keep that in mind.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Hey free some PM space.
Ha, speak for yourself! I just tried to send you a reply and got informed that your account is full.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Ha, speak for yourself! I just tried to send you a reply and got informed that your account is full.
Crap okay I opened up some space....
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Would this be a situation where you would hit the whistle and administer the baseline throw-in? If Team A didn't mean to hit it (bounced off a head, for instance), the game was close and time was running off...could you stop the clock for an official's time out and then administer? I know that if the net gets stuck on the rim...we sound our whistle, fix the problem and then administer. I don't know that there's a rule reference here...but would it be good game management? (Since the team was down 25...not a huge deal here, of course.)