The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Would this be a situation where you would hit the whistle and administer the baseline throw-in? If Team A didn't mean to hit it (bounced off a head, for instance), the game was close and time was running off...could you stop the clock for an official's time out and then administer? I know that if the net gets stuck on the rim...we sound our whistle, fix the problem and then administer. I don't know that there's a rule reference here...but would it be good game management?
Yes, there is a rule that will allow you to stop the game in a situation like this. NFHS rule 5-8-2(c) says we can stop play if there's a unusual delay in getting a dead ball live. That works in this situation if you want to go that route.

Note though that there is NO rule authorizing you to stop the game for a net hung-up on a ring. It's not covered in the rules. Some people do. Some don't. Personally, I don't. If nobody on the floor grabs it, I'll wait for a break in play.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stuck Net ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Note though that there is NO rule authorizing you to stop the game for a net hung-up on a ring. It's not covered in the rules.
Didn't the NFHS come out with a Point of Emphasis, or an interpretation of this situatioin several years ago? Does anyone remember this, and if so, any details?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Didn't the NFHS come out with a Point of Emphasis, or an interpretation of this situatioin several years ago? Does anyone remember this, and if so, any details?
I can vaguely remember something being sent out many moons ago, a lot longer than 7 years, saying that play shouldn't be interrupted just because a net was hung up. I also could be wrong though, so I wouldn't bet Lark's left one on it. Then again, maybe I would. What do I care if I lose? Anyway, I'm sure though that there's been nothing issued this century because I still have all the books.