The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

What call if any?

Boys JV. A1 is going in for a layup. One and a half steps and he's airborne. The shot is blocked and he lands with both feet still in possession of the ball.

[Edit: I'm thinking I used incorrect terminology. I should have said, "He was unable to get the shot off due to the defense." The defense never had hands on the ball.]

[Blocked shot must mean something else.]

Our crew had a discussion on this yesterday.

Rita

Last edited by Rita C; Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 09:03pm.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 08:43pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I got case book 4.25.2 - Held ball. Go to AP arrow.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 08:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
Boys JV. A1 is going in for a layup. One and a half steps and he's airborne. The shot is blocked and he lands with both feet still in possession of the ball.

Rita
Sounds like the shot was prevented from being released. Textbook held ball.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
I got case book 4.25.2 - Held ball. Go to AP arrow.
Maybe I need to be more clear. I may be using incorrect terminology.

I will edit my post.

Rita
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:10pm

Quote:

[Edit: I'm thinking I used incorrect terminology. I should have said, "He was unable to get the shot off due to the defense." The defense never had hands on the ball.]

[Blocked shot must mean something else.]

Rita
It sounds as though the defense had good pressure on the shooter causing the shooter to delay the release of the ball, until such time that the shooter already came back down with the ball.

So if the defense never had their hands on the ball, then it is a travel when the shooter comes back to the ground with the ball in his/her grasp.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
It sounds as though the defense had good pressure on the shooter causing the shooter to delay the release of the ball, until such time that the shooter already came back down with the ball.

So if the defense never had their hands on the ball, then it is a travel when the shooter comes back to the ground with the ball in his/her grasp.
...Or in basic terms, his lifted pivot foot returned to the floor.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
...Or in basic terms, his lifted pivot foot returned to the floor.
YU.P.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

Thank you. I instinctively blew my whistle on this one. It just looked wrong. (First time I've seen it.) But I had travel right away.

The bench right behind me disagreed. And my partners weren't so sure. (Fairly new officials.) There was no casebook with an identical situation. Of course, the fact that the player made a basket after he came down didn't help matters.

Thanks again.

Rita
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 10:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
There was no casebook with an identical situation.
There's no need for a case book play when you have a very explicit rule covering the play.

See rule 4-44-3(b)--"After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot, if a player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal."

That's a rule with an identical situation.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 10:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
There's no need for a case book play when you have a very explicit rule covering the play.

See rule 4-44-3(b)--"After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot, if a player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal."
...Or?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

That's a rule with an identical situation.
But he hadn't come to a stop. He was dribbling and moving in for a layup. I suppose that if it could be considered a stop when he stops dribbling and goes up?......

Rita
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

This isn't a classic case of the ole "Up and Down" violation?
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
This isn't a classic case of the ole "Up and Down" violation?
That's how I could rationalize it. It just isn't as clear cut because one can't really say a pivot foot has been established?

I could explain it to a coach easily enough that way but to fellow refs?

Rita
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:56pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
That's how I could rationalize it. It just isn't as clear cut because one can't really say a pivot foot has been established?

I could explain it to a coach easily enough that way but to fellow refs?

Rita
Boys JV. A1 is going in for a layup. One and a half steps and he's airborne. The shot is blocked and he lands with both feet still in possession of the ball. - Rita C [from OP]

When your JV player gathered the ball for his 1-1/2 steps, the last foot on the floor was his pivot foot. He then took a step with his free foot and elevated with both the free foot and the pivot foot in the air.

When the feet landed, the pivot foot retouched.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Boys JV. A1 is going in for a layup. One and a half steps and he's airborne. The shot is blocked and he lands with both feet still in possession of the ball. - Rita C [from OP]

When your JV player gathered the ball for his 1-1/2 steps, the last foot on the floor was his pivot foot. He then took a step with his free foot and elevated with both the free foot and the pivot foot in the air.

When the feet landed, the pivot foot retouched.
So what if he didn't gather the ball until he's already got both feet off the floor?

ball bounces, feet push straight up and body heads forbasket, then both hands on ball and pull it up toward the basket? Now, if he never shoots, is it legal to land? He never had a pivot foot, did he?