The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

shin splint??

This is the time of year when everyone seems to break down, and I've never had to get off a game due to injury or illness............but, I've developed what I think is a shin splint and have switched shoes. Very painful and I'm limping. State tournament starts next week and thankfully, a few dates here have been cancelled to rest up for tourney games.

The pain is (no, not there) on the outside of my shin, lower near ankle. Any recommendations? Doe I tape it? Ice? Heat? Someone suggested a stretching exercise which I can't remember. Anyone? Heath Ledger's medicine chest?

---Too cheap to see a Doc---
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Bad timing, I feel for you. Check the bottom of page for similar threads on shin splints.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
Bad timing, I feel for you. Check the bottom of page for similar threads on shin splints.

Thanks...............some good advice on those threads.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 12:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Are yours transparent like this guy's?

Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Are yours transparent like this guy's?

You............funny guy..........you are.

Someone told me the last time they saw legs like mine, they fell out of a birds nest.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

For now, ice just became your new best friend. Ice heavily after every game and pop motrin or other anti-inflammatories. When you get to your game site, find the trainer and tell him or her you will need ice after the game.

I would get this treated so it doesn't become a lingering condition, but for now, I've told you (at least the first part of) what the doctor would likely tell you for the short term if you don't want to miss games. Changing shoes might help as well. Read my post under the current shoe post.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
For now, ice just became your new best friend. Ice heavily after every game and pop motrin or other anti-inflammatories. When you get to your game site, find the trainer and tell him or her you will need ice after the game.

I would get this treated so it doesn't become a lingering condition, but for now, I've told you (at least the first part of) what the doctor would likely tell you for the short term if you don't want to miss games. Changing shoes might help as well. Read my post under the current shoe post.

Thanks............
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Shin splint? You can only get one? Mine usually come in pairs.....

I get them more towards the beginning of the season when I'm (more) out of shape.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
Shin splint? You can only get one? Mine usually come in pairs.....

I get them more towards the beginning of the season when I'm (more) out of shape.

I haven't had shin splints since I was in my late twenties, running alot, many moons ago.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
I haven't had shin splints since I was in my late twenties, running alot, many moons ago.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271
Old Thu Feb 07, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
You............funny guy..........you are.

Someone told me the last time they saw legs like mine, they fell out of a birds nest.
What was he doing in a bird's nest? Did he hurt himself?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the time of year when everyone seems to break down, and I've never had to get off a game due to injury or illness............but, I've developed what I think is a shin splint and have switched shoes. Very painful and I'm limping. State tournament starts next week and thankfully, a few dates here have been cancelled to rest up for tourney games.

The pain is (no, not there) on the outside of my shin, lower near ankle. Any recommendations? Doe I tape it? Ice? Heat? Someone suggested a stretching exercise which I can't remember. Anyone? Heath Ledger's medicine chest?

---Too cheap to see a Doc---
TruFit makes an excellent velcro and elastic support that fits aroung your entire lower leg. It has removable inserts that run the length of either side of the tibia. It's the best thing I've found for shin splints. You might also consider filling several styrofoam cups with water and freezing them. After the game, take a knife and cut away the top 2/3 of the cup (leaving the bottom on the ice as an insulator). Rub your shin length-wise along both sides of the tibia in a deep massaging motion with the ice. Do this for about 10 minutes. You might also consider taking 200 mg of ibuprofen every four hours for a few days. This is about the best you can do and still work. Rest is about the best way to get over shin splints. Prevention is better -- get the best shoes you can find (New Balance 610) and keep your weight under control. Been there myself. Only gout is worse. Good luck