The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Shut Up!!

VB last week about the first 2 minutes of the game. I'm lead and just as I get across the endline with players quickly advancing, I hear a very loud "traveling" ring out from the table that I just passed. I immediately recognize the voice and it is from the score keeper. (The gym only has bleachers on the side opposite the table and the teams.) The next thing I notice is the Trail, he's about 6'4" with arms extremely long for his size who is jogging to catch up with the players from the semi fast break. As he goes by the score keeper I see him stretch out his arm full length and then point with one long finger right at the scorekeeper's chest. Trail says something I can't make out since the gym is very loud. The score keeper kind of hunkered down then and we never heard another peep the rest of the night. At half time I asked the trail what he said. "SHUT UP" is what he replied! I now know how to quiet the table in the future!! I guess since I heard it first it should have been my call???? Ever have one of those reffing situations like that that crack you up and it keeps popping into your head? I've been giggling about it all week, looking forward to this weekends games to get some more laughs! I hope at least one person reading this gets a laugh too! Thanks for all the good advice and humurous comments from Mark and others.

Loudwhistle
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

While it maybe funny, it's not a very smart way to handle the situation.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:46pm
We don't rent pigs

First and only time I ever had this was this year. Visitors' bookkeeper, seated at the table, was protesting vigorously as I reported a foul. As I finished with the foul, I strolled up directly in front of her and calmly said, "Ma'am, you are not going to sit at this table and call the game. It just ain't gonna happen." Never have I seen an adult have the "I wish I could disappear" look to the degree that this lady got it. She began to apologize, more profusely that her earlier complaints. I dismissed it with a wave of the hand. She continued to apologize between quarters and between games, so maybe she got the message and it will stick with her for a while.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

I got no problem with my partner telling the scorekeeper to shut up. Its all in how you go about it. Of course you don't want yell at this person from across the gym, but a quick shut up can solve the problem. Not to mention the score keeper knows they are not allowed to yell at the refs.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker27
I got no problem with my partner telling the scorekeeper to shut up. Its all in how you go about it. Of course you don't want yell at this person from across the gym, but a quick shut up can solve the problem. Not to mention the score keeper knows they are not allowed to yell at the refs.
Then why not tell him that politely during the next stoppage in play?
Quality officials aren't rude to anyone while on the court.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 06:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
While it may be funny, it's not a very smart way to handle the situation.
Amen. It's the wrong way to handle the situation.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 06:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Amen. It's the wrong way to handle the situation.
Concur. I was always brought up to treat people the way I would want them to treat me - or my family. Rudeness doesn't cut it.

Some situations do get heated, we get sarcastic, failed humor, coach gets out of control, etc. Hey, it happens.

I would wait until the next stoppage and go to the table and politely, so only they or a few close could hear, let them know this type of behavior will not be tolerated and if kept up they will be replaced. I believe we need to take the high road wherever possible.....JMO.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Quality officials aren't rude to anyone while on the court.
Amen, that. Professional behavior requires us to treat other people respectfully, even if and when we are not afforded the same courtesy. Now, if only we could figure out how to transfer that concept to this message board....
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Shut Up

I was told of a situation in a BV game. Home book was animated and very vocal of calls made by the officials against the home team. Official warned him to stop this because he is part of the officiating crew and must be unbiased. Official calls a foul right in front of the table. Quess what happened next? You got it-the home book gets really animated and vocal. So the official calls a T on the home team for unsporting conduct. When asked to explain the T, the official tells HC the homebook was told to stop but didn't AND he was part of home team bench personnel and HC was responsible for his actions.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaref0812
So the official calls a T on the home team for unsporting conduct. When asked to explain the T, the official tells HC the homebook was told to stop but didn't AND he was part of home team bench personnel and HC was responsible for his actions.
Wow. How bad is that? Let me count the ways...
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
First and only time I ever had this was this year. Visitors' bookkeeper, seated at the table, was protesting vigorously as I reported a foul. As I finished with the foul, I strolled up directly in front of her and calmly said, "Ma'am, you are not going to sit at this table and call the game. It just ain't gonna happen." Never have I seen an adult have the "I wish I could disappear" look to the degree that this lady got it. She began to apologize, more profusely that her earlier complaints. I dismissed it with a wave of the hand. She continued to apologize between quarters and between games, so maybe she got the message and it will stick with her for a while.
I had a very similar situation a few years ago. GV game, neither team very good, players tripping over themselves and each other all game, all in all, just very ugly.

Late in the third quarter, ball goes out of bounds on the sideline near the table after several players fell down trying to get the ball. I'm preparing to administer the throw in when the visiting team scorekeeper, an old lady sitting at the table, starts making comments about the officiating. I took a step or two toward the table and very sternly told her that if she was going to sit at the table, she would keep her opinions on the officiating to herself. Everybody in the place saw it and she looked like she was trying to crawl into the scorebook. Never got an apology, just a dirty look every time I reported anything to the table. I just smiled at her......
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
A) I would never say "Shut up" to anyone during a game, unless it was someone with whom I had a relationship outside, such as a friend or family member and they were just teasing me. In the OP, that doesn't sound like the sitch, but at least the partner said it quietly so as not to humiliate the person. Even so, it seems risky.

B) The best way to handle the table is to remind the folks there before the game that they are now officials and may not comment on the calling of the game. If you say this before the game, then if there's any "opinion", you can remind the table person quickly, without having to explain.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Would you tell your partner to shut up?
The table is part of the officiating team, they should not be told to shut up...
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:13pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Concur. I was always brought up to treat people the way I would want them to treat me - or my family. Rudeness doesn't cut it.

Some situations do get heated, we get sarcastic, failed humor, coach gets out of control, etc. Hey, it happens.

I would wait until the next stoppage and go to the table and politely, so only they or a few close could hear, let them know this type of behavior will not be tolerated and if kept up they will be replaced. I believe we need to take the high road wherever possible.....JMO.
I had a game about two weeks ago where the visiting team's HC & AC are both standing together and screening my view of action from the table.

At the next time out, I beckoned the calling official and asked if he could determine who the HC was and remind them only the HC can stand since i couldn't see through both of them. I didn't have a problem for the rest of the game.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaref0812
I was told of a situation in a BV game. Home book was animated and very vocal of calls made by the officials against the home team. Official warned him to stop this because he is part of the officiating crew and must be unbiased. Official calls a foul right in front of the table. Quess what happened next? You got it-the home book gets really animated and vocal. So the official calls a T on the home team for unsporting conduct. When asked to explain the T, the official tells HC the homebook was told to stop but didn't AND he was part of home team bench personnel and HC was responsible for his actions.
Unfortunately, the official was completely and totally wrong.

A scorer at the table is NOT part of the bench, under any circumstances.

I've stopped talking to problem scorers. Instead, I go to the coach and explain that he/she needs to have a word with their scorer. If I have an issue after that, I will have the scorer removed from the gymnasium. I've yet to have to take that final step.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Thu Jan 31, 2008 at 11:12pm.