The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
most of us have had those games where the field gets so bad because of weather we cannot continue. I have my guidelines on when to call off a game. Like lighting thats an automatic suspension of play, and get everyone to safety. But what are some of the guidelines you guys use to suspend or call off a game. What factors do you take into consideration age talent level.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Cool Stop that game

Slick bases. Home especially because it is flat and without roughness.

Sloppy mud that clings to your feet. No sense tearing up the field just to get another inning or so. Somebody is going to have to correct all those pot holes and mud clumps your feet are making.

If you can skate in the mud... it's too wet.

Partner can't tell how many fingers you have up, it's too dark.

Never stopped one for wind but I sure would have liked to.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Well,

In Oregon we have one rule:

If you start in the rain you play in the rain.

Simple way to tell if it is to dark to play:

As soon as the defense is ready to play, call time and have F8 turn with his back to you. If you can't read his number it is too dark.

Tee
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

1) The field is wet enough that it is slippery, especially around the mound area. A pitcher could be injured by slippery mound, and if he can't get a good footing a batter could also be injured by a pitch.
2) If you push your foot down, pick it up and water fills the imprint, it's wet.
3) All the baseballs at my disposal are wet.
4) Any of above and it's still raining.

Had a double header on Saturday. Just before starting the game a light rain turned harder, so we did not start the game (we had already had pre-game meeting and pitcher was taking warmup pitches). We took a delay and the rain stopped in about 30 minutes. The plate and mound area were covered during the delay. Upon inspection of the field we decided the mound area needed work, because it was slick. A bag of "kitty litter" and some raking around the mound and home plate and we were ready to go. The home team was designated as the ball rubdown team, a towel was found, and all balls that rolled in the outfield grass were returned to them after play had ended. The second game was much drier, with less need for ball rubdown and the field in better shape.

I was not there, but I heard the next game was stopped in the 4th when the rains returned.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I use the pitching mound, home plate area, and the base area as my main guides as to whether or not to call off a game. I also try to have my cell phone with me to call the local television station(or the nearest one) and talk to the weather man if he or she is available to get weather updates before making a final decision.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
no im not a cub or a cardinal fan, but what do you think about larry youngs decision to continue play in the game the other night. I wasnt their but from tv and from what friends told me sounded like they should have called it.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
I use the pitching mound, home plate area, and the base area as my main guides as to whether or not to call off a game. I also try to have my cell phone with me to call the local television station(or the nearest one) and talk to the weather man if he or she is available to get weather updates before making a final decision.
I didn't know you could do that. All this time I've been stuck watching the TV to get the weather. You serioulsy are able to talk with tv weather men? Can I call up WGN and ask for Tom Skilling and actually talk to him? (You all get WGN right?)
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Sure, why not. I once called up the sports reporter for a local television station because I didn't like the way he protrayed the local hockey team. We got into a long, drawn out argument over why he should show bad footage of the team and why I felt it was wrong and detrimental to the team and their fans.

The long and the short of it is that TV reporters are still people and they've got information that you may want. What good is a news service if they don't do their best to provide the news? And why would they try to avoid talking with somebody who's a customer (as far as they know...).

-Craig