The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2008, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyc8037
OK comrades, I have given this issue some long and hard thought relative to the "pros and cons". Quite frankly, unless you find yourself in a game that has proven to be with an inordinate amount of controversy or high level of competitive rivalry, I can see no real issue in participating with a gesture of good sportsmanship. In most games that I have ref'd, coached, assisted or worked at, generally speaking, as soon as the buzzer sounds, the game is over and the student athletes have already "turned-off" the competitiveness and returned to being kids again congratulating their opponents for a good game. Again, I stress the point that the MIAA has already factored in that occasionally a game situation may entirely require a swift departure from the officials in order to alleviate any further disdain that may have been present during the game. Of course I am NOT steadfast in my opinion and welcome remarks or comments from Mark or others that would solicit a different opinion. Rut, Jurassic?
So aren't you really saying that the vast majority of games don't need us there to monitor the post-game ceremonials, and on the rare occassion when our presense would be required are those same situations when the officials should take the option to not be there. If that's the case, what's the point?