The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Massachusetts and Post-Game Handshake/Round 2

At the start of this season, the MIAA asked officials to stay on the court after the game and observe the post-game handshake. (Observing the Handshake)

Now, just a month before the state tournament begins, the problem is back. None of the 13 Massachusetts IAABO boards (who represent the vast majority of officials working in Mass.) would pay the fee to enroll officials with the MIAA. Only enrolled officials may work the state tournament. Without enough officials, the MIAA was rumored to be looking to nearby states for officials and is considering using 2-person crews instead of 3-person crews. It also has asked officials to enroll individually (and to agree to stay on the court for the handshake) and extended the enrollment deadline. MIAA view.

Most IAABO boards are now telling officials to do what they feel is right and they will be supported no matter what they do.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Wow.

And to think I get annoyed when my partner stops to corral the ball on the way off the court.

I hope the MA officials hold their ground. You may lose a few playoff games, but better that then do something you know is wrong.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

During the regular season I receive games from my local board. Post season, I get games from the state if "IF" I register and send a $6 fee to do post season games without liability insurance just to observe a post game handshake. Nah, I pass.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

My cynical nature leads me to suspect that some will register individually simply to get a shot at a playoff game. And that bit of self-service may undermine the entire effort.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
My cynical nature leads me to suspect that some will register individually simply to get a shot at a playoff game. And that bit of self-service may undermine the entire effort.

I have officiated with IAABO officials from Mass. and I don't think anybody will be crossing the "picket line" so to speak.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I have officiated with IAABO officials from Mass. and I don't think anybody will be crossing the "picket line" so to speak.

MTD, Sr.
I hope you are right.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 03:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I hope you are right.
I hope I am right too. The officials I know would not officiate. And the IAABO officials that I know in Conn. wouldn't go to Mass. to officiate either.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have made a lot of good friends in my short time in officiating, and I can't imagine undermining my friends and colleagues simply for a playoff assignment. Unfortunately, I also worry that some young hotshot might sign in, just for a shot at a playoff assignment. They may not be ready, but they know that, with the MIAA being short, they have a good chance of getting a assignment.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Wanna bet a game fee that there will be IAABO officials who will sign-up and work?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think that is accurate. This is a complicated situation and way too political. Individual IAABO boards did not make this decision. It was done by a "state board" to which all IAABO boards have representation and which has the sole authority to negotiate with the MIAA over fees, enrollment and related state-wide matters.

The state board met in emergency session last night and adopted the following: The MSBOA voted unanimously at its November 25, 2007 meeting that its members will not remain to observe the post game handshake. This position has not changed. With regard to the state tournament, individual members may choose to enroll with the MIAA.

I know a lot of officials from my board are not happy with the situation...in part because they had no say in it. I expect many officials will enroll as individual members...with the full blessing of their IAABO boards. Last year there were 1,412 basketball officials enrolled with the MIAA. Of those, 91% enrolled through their IAABO boards; the rest through six smaller independent associations that the MIAA recognizes.

Several members of the Executive Committee of my board have expressed frustration about the situation. They thought the issue was resolved and were quite surprised to learn it had not been.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 06:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef

I know a lot of officials from my board are not happy with the situation...in part because they had no say in it. I expect many officials will enroll as individual members...with the full blessing of their IAABO boards.
I had heard that the some IAABO boards had already directed their members NOT to wait around for post-game handshakes either. Is that correct?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 08:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

State Flower: Mountain Laurel

Quote:
I hope I am right too. The officials I know would not officiate. And the IAABO officials that I know in Conn. wouldn't go to Mass. to officiate either.MTD, Sr.
I'm IAABO from Connecticut, and I wouldn't cross this "picket line". No good can come from hanging around the gym after a game.

Do officials in other sports generally stay for the post game handshakes? All three of my children played soccer, and it seems that some officials watched the post game rituals, but I can be mistaken. How about all the other sports officials giving us basketvball guys their views. I know that we have many multisport officials here on the Forum.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 28, 2008 at 08:50pm.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I had heard that the some IAABO boards had already directed their members NOT to wait around for post-game handshakes either. Is that correct?
Yes. All had...in some fashion. My board recommended we not stay, but said the decision was up to each of us.

But officials do not work for the board. The boards only provide training, rules interpretation and regular meetings. They do not assign games. We are independent contractors, who work for the schools and are paid by the schools. Our assignments come from commissioners who are hired by the leagues. Some assignors told their officials they had to stay for the handshake. If they did not want to, they would have their games removed. My assignors told me I could do whatever I wanted. I had one athletic director personally ask me and my partner to stay. Most said nothing. For most games, I stayed; for a few, I left as soon as the final horn sounded. I heard no complaints or compliments (except for the one AD who thanked me for staying.)

The biggest problem, to me, was that IAABO boards did not make the decision. Rather, the Mass. State Basketball Officials Assn., did. That board has no members. Instead, it has representatives from all 13 IAABO boards, in some proportion to the number of officials on each board. That board, according to its bylaws, is the sole representative of all IAABO boards with the MIAA on state-side issues, including fees and game enrollment. The individual boards were told if they did not follow the state board, they risked sanction from IAABO, including possible revocation of their IAABO charters. I know of officials that are talking about joining one of the non-IAABO boards or even trying to have their board withdraw from IAABO and request independent status from the MIAA.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Do officials in other sports generally stay for the post game handshakes? All three of my children played soccer, and it seems that some officials watched the post game rituals, but I can be mistaken. How about all the other sports officials giving us basketvball guys their views. I know that we have many multisport officials here on the Forum.
They do in soccer and hockey in Massachusetts. The MIAA felt that the post-game handshake was an important sportsmanship gesture in those sports, and in November, made it required for all team sports starting next year. This year was supposed to be a "test run," with the handshake a "recommendation," not a requirement. The MIAA policy allowed officials to leave the gym immediately if there were "unusual circumstances."
Old Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
Yes. All had...in some fashion. My board recommended we not stay, but said the decision was up to each of us.

But officials do not work for the board. The boards only provide training, rules interpretation and regular meetings. They do not assign games. We are independent contractors, who work for the schools and are paid by the schools. Our assignments come from commissioners who are hired by the leagues. Some assignors told their officials they had to stay for the handshake. If they did not want to, they would have their games removed. My assignors told me I could do whatever I wanted. I had one athletic director personally ask me and my partner to stay. Most said nothing. For most games, I stayed; for a few, I left as soon as the final horn sounded. I heard no complaints or compliments (except for the one AD who thanked me for staying.)

The biggest problem, to me, was that IAABO boards did not make the decision. Rather, the Mass. State Basketball Officials Assn., did. That board has no members. Instead, it has representatives from all 13 IAABO boards, in some proportion to the number of officials on each board. That board, according to its bylaws, is the sole representative of all IAABO boards with the MIAA on state-side issues, including fees and game enrollment. The individual boards were told if they did not follow the state board, they risked sanction from IAABO, including possible revocation of their IAABO charters. I know of officials that are talking about joining one of the non-IAABO boards or even trying to have their board withdraw from IAABO and request independent status from the MIAA.

While IAABO is not a union (it is a professional organization) it appears that the State IAABO Board was protecting all of its members when it told the MIAA that its members would not supervise the post-game handshake. If Local IAABO boards decide to leave IAABO, that is the worst thing that could happen and what the MIAA wants. There is strength in numbers and that is the only way that the officials can protect themselves by stupid rules by brainless twits that have no clue about officiating.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio