The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck
This team has committed 5 fouls in the second half and had ALL of their players foul out of the game?

Link to media account of the story, please?
Perhaps this team only started with five or six. When the OP wrote A12, I believe that he was indicating that 12 was the player's number, not that he was one of twelve individuals on that team.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
This is a good question and I don't know the rule. Is Team A assessed a technical foul for not having players occupy both lower lane spaces? I don't see any other option according to the rules but admit that I'm not sure if there is an exception somewhere.
I have both good news and bad news for you. I'll leave it up to you to determine which is which.

The question that you pose has already been thought of and posted on this very forum by yours truly, and then it was subsequently answered by the NFHS in one of the interpretations it issues at the start of each season. (So when it comes to HS basketball you think as I do. See told you that I had both good and bad news!)
If I recall the thread I created (perhaps someone can find it with the search function) involved the phrase "never-ending game" as I posited that a team which found itself trailing an opponent with only one player left, but not enough time to score sufficient points to catch-up could repeatedly miss a FT attempt as long as it struck the ring because the defending team would have to be charged with a violation for not occupying both of the first marked lane spaces.
The NFHS quickly issued a ruling, which stated not to penalize the team with only one player left for doing all that is possible.

Here's the ruling:

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 2: Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foul out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space. RULING: By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can only put one player in the required free-throw marked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Further, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)
> >
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Hey -- there's no need for that kind of insult.
Oops. My bad. Sorry JR, and Rut.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Went to see a Varsity contest. Competitive game until the end.

Situation: Team-A is up by three 62-59 with 6.3 seconds remaining. With only two players left to finish the game. Team B's ball. As time is winding down A-12 fouls B-10. To prevent team b from getting a 3 point shot off. The foul count is H-5 V-6.

This is where it gets crazy as the official reports the foul on A-12 the table notifies the official(s) that it’s A-12 fifth foul which DQ's A-12. So now team A is left with one player. The officials realize team A has one player left decides to end the game.

Coach says to the officials loud enough for the entire gym to hear. You can’t call the game we are winning by 3.

Referee replies: Yes, I can by rule when you have only one player left to play. The game can be called and the officials leave the visual confines of the court.

Looking at the NOTE under rule 3-1-1. With team A up by three the game should have been finished giving A the opportunity to win the game.

Thoughts?
I call BS on this story. A varsity team with either 5 or 6 team fouls in the second half is down to two players? Either they committed about 30 fouls in the first half or there was some six-way collision where they all banged heads and got knocked out. Neither is too plausible.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I have both good news and bad news for you. I'll leave it up to you to determine which is which.

The question that you pose has already been thought of and posted on this very forum by yours truly, and then it was subsequently answered by the NFHS in one of the interpretations it issues at the start of each season. (So when it comes to HS basketball you think as I do. See told you that I had both good and bad news!)
If I recall the thread I created (perhaps someone can find it with the search function) involved the phrase "never-ending game" as I posited that a team which found itself trailing an opponent with only one player left, but not enough time to score sufficient points to catch-up could repeatedly miss a FT attempt as long as it struck the ring because the defending team would have to be charged with a violation for not occupying both of the first marked lane spaces.
The NFHS quickly issued a ruling, which stated not to penalize the team with only one player left for doing all that is possible.

Here's the ruling:

SITUATION 2: Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foul out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space. RULING: By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can only put one player in the required free-throw marked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Further, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)
> >
Thanks, Nevada, and I'll look at it as good news.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

> >
Now - about the throw-ins .............................
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Now - about the throw-ins .............................
Another player on the court, in this case one on the opposing team, must touch or be touched by the ball before the thrower can touch the ball. Otherwise it is a throw-in violation. The NFHS has not waived that requirement of game play.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Another player on the court, in this case one on the opposing team, must touch or be touched by the ball before the thrower can touch the ball. Otherwise it is a throw-in violation.
...And the clock may be running out.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

My first thought is... YOU ACTUALLY SAW THIS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Went to see a Varsity contest. Competitive game until the end.

Situation: Team-A is up by three 62-59 with 6.3 seconds remaining. With only two players left to finish the game. Team B's ball. As time is winding down A-12 fouls B-10. To prevent team b from getting a 3 point shot off. The foul count is H-5 V-6.

This is where it gets crazy as the official reports the foul on A-12 the table notifies the official(s) that it’s A-12 fifth foul which DQ's A-12. So now team A is left with one player. The officials realize team A has one player left decides to end the game.

Coach says to the officials loud enough for the entire gym to hear. You can’t call the game we are winning by 3.

Referee replies: Yes, I can by rule when you have only one player left to play. The game can be called and the officials leave the visual confines of the court.

Looking at the NOTE under rule 3-1-1. With team A up by three the game should have been finished giving A the opportunity to win the game.

Thoughts?
sounds like a one in a million happening.

Play should continue if Team A is believed to have a chance to win.
I would assume that having a 3 point lead with 6.3 seconds to play would constitute having a chance.

Scenario A
So, if Team B inbounds ( hey they aren't in the bonus after the other team has fouled out a bunch of guys??) and hits a 2, Team (Player) A inbounds and tosses ball to mid-court. Team B grabs and tries a last second try that misses. Game over Team A wins.

Scenario B
Team B inbounds, hits a 3 pointer. Game tied. I'll give A the benefit of the doubt and let them try to throw inbounds pass off of Team B leg, and maybe get fouled...
But if clock expires while tied, this game is over.

Whacky scenario C
Team B inbounds, hits a 2. Coach from B calls a time out. Team B coach tells his players "don't touch the inbounds pass!!!" "force a violation, we'll get it back and win" Team A player gently tosses the ball in the backcourt with say, 2.0 seconds left on the clock. Ball bounces about 12 times and finally comes to rest in the backcourt. Both coaches yell "don't touch it"....
How long do you wait before doing WHAT?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Whacky scenario C
Team B inbounds, hits a 2. Coach from B calls a time out. Team B coach tells his players "don't touch the inbounds pass!!!" "force a violation, we'll get it back and win" Team A player gently tosses the ball in the backcourt with say, 2.0 seconds left on the clock. Ball bounces about 12 times and finally comes to rest in the backcourt. Both coaches yell "don't touch it"....
Warn Team B for delay?
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
I call BS on this story. A varsity team with either 5 or 6 team fouls in the second half is down to two players? Either they committed about 30 fouls in the first half or there was some six-way collision where they all banged heads and got knocked out. Neither is too plausible.
..or a flagrant or two.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Fouls are not the only thing that causes a team to play with less than 5 players. I had a game a week ago Tue. that at half time a player had a breathing problem resulting in the EMTs being called. Early in the third quarter a player twisted and ankle resulting in an inability to play. In 4th quarter 2nd player with breathing problems. There was also 1 player who did foul out. So they came with 7 players, 1 fouled out, 3 with "physical" problems so we completed the game with 5 playing 3.

Just saying the possibility does exist.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
Fouls are not the only thing that causes a team to play with less than 5 players. I had a game a week ago Tue. that at half time a player had a breathing problem resulting in the EMTs being called. Early in the third quarter a player twisted and ankle resulting in an inability to play. In 4th quarter 2nd player with breathing problems. There was also 1 player who did foul out. So they came with 7 players, 1 fouled out, 3 with "physical" problems so we completed the game with 5 playing 3.

Just saying the possibility does exist.
How about several players get ejected for fighting.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
How about several players get ejected for fighting.
Granted. But the fact that the OP hasn't provided a link to an article confirms my doubt of this story.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Whacky scenario C
If it's obvious that they won't touch it, blow the whistle, explain the consequences of 5-4-1 and readminister the throw-in.