The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I couldn't believe it!!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41334-i-couldnt-believe.html)

truerookie Fri Jan 25, 2008 02:17am

I couldn't believe it!!!!

Went to see a Varsity contest. Competitive game until the end.

Situation: Team-A is up by three 62-59 with 6.3 seconds remaining. With only two players left to finish the game. Team B's ball. As time is winding down A-12 fouls B-10. To prevent team b from getting a 3 point shot off. The foul count is H-5 V-6.

This is where it gets crazy as the official reports the foul on A-12 the table notifies the official(s) that it’s A-12 fifth foul which DQ's A-12. So now team A is left with one player. The officials realize team A has one player left decides to end the game.

Coach says to the officials loud enough for the entire gym to hear. You can’t call the game we are winning by 3.

Referee replies: Yes, I can by rule when you have only one player left to play. The game can be called and the officials leave the visual confines of the court.

Looking at the NOTE under rule 3-1-1. With team A up by three the game should have been finished giving A the opportunity to win the game.

Thoughts?

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 25, 2008 02:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Went to see a Varsity contest. Competitive game until the end.

Situation: Team-A is up by three 62-59 with 6.3 seconds remaining. With only two players left to finish the game. Team B's ball. As time is winding down A-12 fouls B-10. To prevent team b from getting a 3 point shot off. The foul count is H-5 V-6.

This is where it gets crazy as the official reports the foul on A-12 the table notifies the official(s) that it’s A-12 fifth foul which DQ's A-12. So now team A is left with one player. The officials realize team A has one player left decides to end the game.

Coach says to the officials loud enough for the entire gym to hear. You can’t call the game we are winning by 3.

Referee replies: Yes, I can by rule when you have only one player left to play. The game can be called and the officials leave the visual confines of the court.

Looking at the NOTE under rule 3-1-1. With team A up by three the game should have been finished giving A the opportunity to win the game.

Thoughts?

Did the officials award B the win?

My opinion is that the officials should have played out the entire regulation time.

JRutledge Fri Jan 25, 2008 02:24am

If he feels the team does not have a chance to win, then he can call the game at that point. I would have tried to see if they could win with one player. But that is a judgment call, but it does not sound like a good one by this particular official.

Peace

truerookie Fri Jan 25, 2008 02:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Did the officials award B the win?
My opinion is that the officials should have played out the entire regulation time.

Yes, team b was awarded the win

johnnyrao Fri Jan 25, 2008 06:41am

I have never actually seen this happen, but what if Team B is in the bonus and gets a 1 and 1? At this point in the game Team A is down to one player. How do you administer the free throw? Do you make A1 take one of the first positions for the free throw? Can I assume that this is one instance where Team A does not have to occupy both spots because they only have one player remaining? If not, I guess you could just award Team B two points since you would have continuous free throw violations and keep re-shooting until the player makes it. By the way I agree with everyone else here. They should have played it out. I'm not a coach but I with that little time left I have some thoughts on what I would do as a coach to win this game still if I was Team A's coach. I also assume that when the OP says A12 fouled out, that means that Team A had 12 players. Has anyone ever had a game where 11 players on a team fouled out? That's 55 fouls, at least, plus whatever the last player left has. Wow!:eek:

JugglingReferee Fri Jan 25, 2008 06:51am

Quote:

Yes, team b was awarded the win

Then the officials did not know how to properly the rule and imho, cost A a real shot shot at being the game's winners.

Nevadaref Fri Jan 25, 2008 07:27am

The decision made was totally wrong by rule. Team A definitely had a chance to win as they were leading the game! Team B could have missed the rest of its shots and failed to score. There is NO WAY that a reasonable person can contend that Team A doesn't have a chance to win that game.

I would expect the state association to overturn that decision and order the game to be finished from the point that the officials left.

jdw3018 Fri Jan 25, 2008 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrao
I have never actually seen this happen, but what if Team B is in the bonus and gets a 1 and 1? At this point in the game Team A is down to one player. How do you administer the free throw? Do you make A1 take one of the first positions for the free throw? Can I assume that this is one instance where Team A does not have to occupy both spots because they only have one player remaining? If not, I guess you could just award Team B two points since you would have continuous free throw violations and keep re-shooting until the player makes it. By the way I agree with everyone else here. They should have played it out. I'm not a coach but I with that little time left I have some thoughts on what I would do as a coach to win this game still if I was Team A's coach. I also assume that when the OP says A12 fouled out, that means that Team A had 12 players. Has anyone ever had a game where 11 players on a team fouled out? That's 55 fouls, at least, plus whatever the last player left has. Wow!:eek:

This is a good question and I don't know the rule. Is Team A assessed a technical foul for not having players occupy both lower lane spaces? I don't see any other option according to the rules but admit that I'm not sure if there is an exception somewhere.

Jurassic Referee Fri Jan 25, 2008 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
This is a good question and I don't know the rule. Is Team A assessed a technical foul for not having players occupy both lower lane spaces? I don't see any other option according to the rules but admit that I'm not sure if there is an exception somewhere.

No technical foul if only one defensive player is available. I'll hunt around and find the backing citation.

jdw3018 Fri Jan 25, 2008 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
No technical foul if only one defensive player is available. I'll hunt around and find the backing citation.

Great, thanks Rut.

chartrusepengui Fri Jan 25, 2008 08:29am

the timing is what is wrong here. A is ahead. So official shouldn't call the game until and if team B shoots and makes the 3 free throws to tie. If they tie the game - how is A supposed to inbound the ball? I know this is a risk to say - but any SMART coach in this situation is going to pull all their players to the far end of the court and after B1 shoots he should be going to at least division line. A can make throw in pass - but it's doubtful anyone would legally touch it. Violation, B's ball at spot. Call the game at this point if you are going to call it. But if all this happened with only 6.3 left - I'd have let it play out. I just think it looks better - especially if A had been playing hard with only 2 players and was still ahead in the game.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 25, 2008 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Great, thanks Rut.

Hey -- there's no need for that kind of insult. ;)

Scrapper1 Fri Jan 25, 2008 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Hey -- there's no need for that kind of insult. ;)

Insult to Rut?

Back In The Saddle Fri Jan 25, 2008 08:59am

While the rules discussion is useful, the situation presented smells like a load of complete doo doo. A has only 2 players left at the end of the game...and the foul count in the second half is only 5-6? What was the foul count at the end of the first half...128-6? :D

lpneck Fri Jan 25, 2008 09:03am

Quote:

The foul count is H-5 V-6.

This team has committed 5 fouls in the second half and had ALL of their players foul out of the game?

Link to media account of the story, please?