The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Partner called Travel OOB?

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the threads for a few months, and enjoy seeing the new topics/conversations every day. I have a situation and wanted to know how you handle it.

JH game last week. Partner is an older gentleman, out of shape, walks up and down the court, but does a lot of games at this particular school. We barely spoke before the game. He sat, reading the newspaper next to the scorer's table until after the teams were on the court for tipoff. I tried to initiate at least some conversation, but he didn't want to talk and just brushed it off.

Anyways.

Game is going...OK.

I am lead as A1 (White) makes a basket, and before B1 (Red) steps OOB, HC-B requests timeout. Partner grants, and I remain at the spot. B1 returns after the timeout. I verbally tell her that she may run the baseline, and also make a visual sweeping motion with my hand. B1 takes one step left, and then runs 3-4 steps right, staying OOB. Partner, from across halfcourt, calls "traveling." I am confused, and jog out to conference with him.

Me: What did you call?
Him: Traveling
Me: There's no traveling on throw-in. It was after a made basket. She can run the baseline.
Him: They called timeout. That means they can't anymore.

He then loudly says "White ball" and turns away from me. I say "Billy Bob," but he ignores/doesn't hear me, and walks away.

Rather than yell at him to come back, and look silly at midcourt having a pissing contest about who was right/wrong, I walk back to the baseline and say "White ball." B1 looks at me funny, but says nothing. HC-B makes no complaints that I can hear, and play resumes.

1. How do you handle this situation when you know your partner is mis-interpreting the rules. I tried to give him information to correct his call, but he didn't want to hear it. I can't overturn his call, merely give him information to make it correct? Let him live/die because it's wrong?
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young IN Ref
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the threads for a few months, and enjoy seeing the new topics/conversations every day. I have a situation and wanted to know how you handle it.

JH game last week. Partner is an older gentleman, out of shape, walks up and down the court, but does a lot of games at this particular school. We barely spoke before the game. He sat, reading the newspaper next to the scorer's table until after the teams were on the court for tipoff. I tried to initiate at least some conversation, but he didn't want to talk and just brushed it off.

Anyways.

Game is going...OK.

I am lead as A1 (White) makes a basket, and before B1 (Red) steps OOB, HC-B requests timeout. Partner grants, and I remain at the spot. B1 returns after the timeout. I verbally tell her that she may run the baseline, and also make a visual sweeping motion with my hand. B1 takes one step left, and then runs 3-4 steps right, staying OOB. Partner, from across halfcourt, calls "traveling." I am confused, and jog out to conference with him.

Me: There's no traveling on throw-in. It was after a made basket. She can run the baseline.

He then loudly says "White ball" and turns away from me. I say "Billy Bob," but he ignores/doesn't hear me, and walks away.

Rather than yell at him to come back, and look silly at midcourt having a pissing contest about who was right/wrong, I walk back to the baseline and say "White ball." B1 looks at me funny, but says nothing. HC-B makes no complaints that I can hear, and play resumes.

1. How do you handle this situation when you know your partner is mis-interpreting the rules. I tried to give him information to correct his call, but he didn't want to hear it. I can't overturn his call, merely give him information to make it correct? Let him live/die because it's wrong?
Since you're administering the throw-in, give it to red. Let him phone the assignor and make plans to have the egg removed from this face.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds Like a little bit of heaven!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young IN Ref
Hi everyone!

Anyways.

Game is going...OK.

You have to love the 60 feet away 'traveling' call on inbounds. Hey, you will be telling this story to your grandkids!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

It's my call I will not allow another official misapply the rules intentionally especially when I know they are not correct. Yours must not have dropped yet.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I definitely would have given the ball to red in this situation and hope that he just lets it go...
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 11:00pm
This IS My Social Life

One Option

One option: having concluded that this is a person who won't accept constructive critique, change, or conform to the norm, you can politely request to your assignor not to be matched with him again. When asked why, tactfully explain. If and when enough of your fellow officials do the same, the assignor will no doubt put this fine over-the-hill veteran gentleman out to pasture. Bet he had some good years. Sounds like his good years are over.
This is only one option. I'm sure there are others.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
It's my call I will not allow another official misapply the rules intentionally especially when I know they are not correct. Yours must not have dropped yet.
Is there an English translation of this? What "must not have dropped yet?" ???
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 12:32am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsecut
Is there an English translation of this? What "must not have dropped yet?" ???
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:11am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Yours must not have dropped yet.
I think this is over the line, in this case. The poster is admittedly young -- probably relatively new -- and dealing with a much older, more established (although perhaps less qualified) official. It's not easy at all to go against the forceful ruling of a more advanced official when you're just starting out.

The original poster knows the rule but doesn't know how to deal with a difficult situation. Insulting him/her for being a little intimidated in a very intimidating situation is not helpful at all.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I think this is over the line, in this case. The poster is admittedly young -- probably relatively new -- and dealing with a much older, more established (although perhaps less qualified) official. It's not easy at all to go against the forceful ruling of a more advanced official when you're just starting out.

The original poster knows the rule but doesn't know how to deal with a difficult situation. Insulting him/her for being a little intimidated in a very intimidating situation is not helpful at all.
Added to the fact that this is his very first post and he's asking a question most officials have had at one time or another (how to deal with a difficult, more experienced partner), I agree completely.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Good point Scrappy. I too had a situation this year where my veteran co-official blew my OOB admin dead. The thrower-in dribbled while OOB on the throw-in. I continued my 5-sec count but partner blew whistle, ran over and said violation for dribbling OOB. I leaned over and told him it was legal. He said no, it isnt. I turned and headed down court so that we do not look worse; most people do not know that rule anyway. After the game I emailed him the rule. Never got a response back, tho.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Hey Splute, quick question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Good point Scrappy. I too had a situation this year where my veteran co-official blew my OOB admin dead. The thrower-in dribbled while OOB on the throw-in. I continued my 5-sec count but partner blew whistle, ran over and said violation for dribbling OOB. I leaned over and told him it was legal. He said no, it isnt. I turned and headed down court so that we do not look worse; most people do not know that rule anyway. After the game I emailed him the rule. Never got a response back, tho.
I had a kid dribble very close to the endline on an inbounds play. If any part of the ball contacts inbounds during that dribble, then we have a violation, yes?

vert.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Since you're administering the throw-in, give it to red. Let him phone the assignor and make plans to have the egg removed from this face.
This is exactly what I would have done.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:51am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
This is exactly what I would have done.
I agree, btw. Simply give it to the correct team and let him holler about it after the game.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Scrapper1]I think this is over the line, in this case. The poster is admittedly young -- probably relatively new -- and dealing with a much older, more established (although perhaps less qualified) official. It's not easy at all to go against the forceful ruling of a more advanced official when you're just starting out.

Ok, and this means what. It is obvious that the poster can identify that the older gentlemen is lazy and out of shape from his initial observation of him. He should be able to identify that he allowed this older lazy gentlemen encourage him to kick a rule. When he stated himself that it was wrong. So how is that over the line Scrapper.