View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 21, 2008, 09:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young IN Ref
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on the threads for a few months, and enjoy seeing the new topics/conversations every day. I have a situation and wanted to know how you handle it.

JH game last week. Partner is an older gentleman, out of shape, walks up and down the court, but does a lot of games at this particular school. We barely spoke before the game. He sat, reading the newspaper next to the scorer's table until after the teams were on the court for tipoff. I tried to initiate at least some conversation, but he didn't want to talk and just brushed it off.

Anyways.

Game is going...OK.

I am lead as A1 (White) makes a basket, and before B1 (Red) steps OOB, HC-B requests timeout. Partner grants, and I remain at the spot. B1 returns after the timeout. I verbally tell her that she may run the baseline, and also make a visual sweeping motion with my hand. B1 takes one step left, and then runs 3-4 steps right, staying OOB. Partner, from across halfcourt, calls "traveling." I am confused, and jog out to conference with him.

Me: What did you call?
Him: Traveling
Me: There's no traveling on throw-in. It was after a made basket. She can run the baseline.
Him: They called timeout. That means they can't anymore.

He then loudly says "White ball" and turns away from me. I say "Billy Bob," but he ignores/doesn't hear me, and walks away.

Rather than yell at him to come back, and look silly at midcourt having a pissing contest about who was right/wrong, I walk back to the baseline and say "White ball." B1 looks at me funny, but says nothing. HC-B makes no complaints that I can hear, and play resumes.

1. How do you handle this situation when you know your partner is mis-interpreting the rules. I tried to give him information to correct his call, but he didn't want to hear it. I can't overturn his call, merely give him information to make it correct? Let him live/die because it's wrong?
Since you're administering the throw-in, give it to red. Let him phone the assignor and make plans to have the egg removed from this face.