The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Slapping backboard on shot

Team A player makes layup, then slaps backboard with both hands. Coach of Team B yells for technical foul. My referee tells the coach the slapping of backboard was incidental. We discussed it at halftime, and he said offensive slapping of backboard is not a technical. He said it can be called only if the defensive player slaps backboard trying to bring attention to himself. The rule book does not specify offense or defense. My referee also advised for us to not "put something in the game". I've heard this so many times. It seems some of our veteran officials want to enforce certain rules, and let other rules go, just to get the game over.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck
Team A player makes layup, then slaps backboard with both hands. Coach of Team B yells for technical foul. My referee tells the coach the slapping of backboard was incidental. We discussed it at halftime, and he said offensive slapping of backboard is not a technical. He said it can be called only if the defensive player slaps backboard trying to bring attention to himself. The rule book does not specify offense or defense. My referee also advised for us to not "put something in the game". I've heard this so many times. It seems some of our veteran officials want to enforce certain rules, and let other rules go, just to get the game over.
Your partner is wrong. Coach was right about the rule, although not right about yelling. You're right about not picking and choosing which rules to enforce. One question: Why didn't you call it?
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodibuck
This is a judgement call, the way you describe it, it appears to be intentional.

Section 3

A player shall not

ART. 5 . . . Illegally contact the backboard/ring by:

b. Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I agree it's a judgement call. However, I would treat it as if a defensive player is making an attempt to block a shot and slap the backboard. I have nothing in my judgement. I agree with the referee on this one why put somehing in the game. Play on!!
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I agree it's a judgement call. However, I would treat it as if a defensive player is making an attempt to block a shot and slap the backboard. I have nothing in my judgement. I agree with the referee on this one why put somehing in the game. Play on!!
Let me ask you.. "why would a Player making a lay-up be slapping the backboard?" Is he trying to block his own shot? NO!
Sure, this is one of those 'You have to see it to call it'. But if he is celebrating his lay-up by slapping the backboard, then he gets slapped with a Technical.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I generally disagree with truerookie, and this is no exception. There's no reason to slap the backboard on a lay-up, dunk, set shot or any other shot! It's a T, pure and simple.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

It also could be a strong layup. Back when I played Sometimes in a drive and layup i would hit the backboard so fast and had to power the ball in that ineveitably I slapped the backboard. It was never intentional and i never wanted to do it as it hurt the @#$@# out of my hands. However it beat the alternative, a block or a missed shot.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
It also could be a strong layup. Back when I played Sometimes in a drive and layup i would hit the backboard so fast and had to power the ball in that ineveitably I slapped the backboard. It was never intentional and i never wanted to do it as it hurt the @#$@# out of my hands. However it beat the alternative, a block or a missed shot.
Both hands, though? The OP is a both hands slap.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Both hands, though? The OP is a both hands slap.
Could be. Deecee's logic is correct imo. The shooter could just be following through with his shooting motion.

That's why it's a judgment call. If you think that it's a follow-through, ignore it. If you think that it was jusy meant to draw attention, call it. Any doubts, fuggedaboutit.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Could be. Deecee's logic is correct imo. The shooter could just be following through with his shooting motion.

That's why it's a judgment call. If you think that it's a follow-through, ignore it. If you think that it was jusy meant to draw attention, call it. Any doubts, fuggedaboutit.
RIght. I was figgurin it was the attention type.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 02:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Then figgur on calling a "T".
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I have a solution to this I was warming up for a game, going for a strong lay-up. My hand came in contact with the backboard, and the backboard gave me an electrical shock! I hardly made anymore lay-ups
It wasn't that strong but still it's not nice when the backboard hits back
I prefer warnings when it comes to calling the T for a slap of the backboard, I think NFHS and NCAA have much much more strict rules on this though so I can't really answer your question
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I generally disagree with truerookie, and this is no exception. There's no reason to slap the backboard on a lay-up, dunk, set shot or any other shot! It's a T, pure and simple.

I don't look for anyone to agree with me. However, if you look at the first six words in my reply. You will see that I said it's a judgement call. I further stated that in my judgement I would not make the call of giving a technical.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
Let me ask you.. "why would a Player making a lay-up be slapping the backboard?" Is he trying to block his own shot? NO!
Sure, this is one of those 'You have to see it to call it'. But if he is celebrating his lay-up by slapping the backboard, then he gets slapped with a Technical.
To answer your question: It's not clear in the OP. It's also not clear in the OP if there was a defensive player attempting to block the shot which may have caused the offensive player to go up strong with two hand and with the follow through slapped the backboard. Is there?
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 12:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I have never seen a player slap the backboard on a lay up they have attempted. I probably would have passed on this just because it would be such a leap to call a T on something so unusual. I guess if the player did it again then I could go along with the "attention" explanation. Then again that is why you HTBT.

Peace