The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Slapping the backboard

I ref in a rec league with some very athletic players. A rule in the league call for a tech for slapping the backboard. This is a tough call. This happens sometimes when going up to block the shot. I do award the basket if contact with the backboard disrupts a shot attempt from going in the basket. Obviously I should be abidding by the league rules or talk to the commissioner about it, but I just think it is a tough rule to enforce. Thoughts and comments.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

First, awarding the shot for slapping the backboard is wrong. You can never, by rule, award a shot for contact with the backboard.

I don't know if your rec league rule is different than NFHS rules, but by NFHS rules slapping the backboard is either during an attempt to block a shot and therefore legal, or it is an intentional act that earns a player a technical foul.

Slapping the board is never basket interference.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

That is interesting. So if the contact with the backboard in an attempt to block a shot disturbs the goal, therefore altering the natural progression of the ball, you dont award basket interference. I guess I always viewed this rule wrong.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 01:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhudson
I guess I always viewed this rule wrong.
You aren't alone. It comes up at least once every year here. It's a common fallacy, sadly amongst some officials too.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
This may be becuse FIBA's rules are diffrent...
31.2.4 Interference occurs during a shot for a field goal when:
• A player touches the basket or the backboard while the ball is in contact with the ring.
• A defensive player causes the backboard or the ring to vibrate in such a way that, in the judgement of the official, the ball has been prevented from entering the basket.
• An offensive player causes the backboard or the ring to vibrate in such a way that, in the judgement of the official, the ball has been caused to enter the basket.

In other words if you slap the BB in a fiba game, and you (in the officials judgment) prevent (defense) or cause (offense) the ball (not) to enter the basket, that is BI and points should be awarded or removed.
But listen to the other guys in your case I am just speculating in why people never learn the rule properly
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I don't know that I'd assume the myth has anything to do with FIBA rules. That implies people in the US are aware of FIBA rules.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhudson
I ref in a rec league with some very athletic players. A rule in the league call for a tech for slapping the backboard. This is a tough call. This happens sometimes when going up to block the shot. I do award the basket if contact with the backboard disrupts a shot attempt from going in the basket. Obviously I should be abidding by the league rules or talk to the commissioner about it, but I just think it is a tough rule to enforce. Thoughts and comments.
If the league wants it called that tightly, call it that tightly. The players will adjust.
NFHS rules allow for a player blocking a shot (or trying to) to hit the backboard without penalty. However, if your league wants it called differently....
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I don't know that I'd assume the myth has anything to do with FIBA rules. That implies people in the US are aware of FIBA rules.
Honestly Americans only think about FIBA rules every 4 years.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 04:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Honestly Americans only think about FIBA rules every 4 years.

Peace
If only we did, our basketball teams might play a little better.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2008, 05:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If only we did, our basketball teams might play a little better.
I do not think this is a priority for most Americans. We dominated the game for so long and most pros that are eligible to play would rather not play. Until this becomes a burning desire again, no one cares.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 08:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think this is a priority for most Americans. We dominated the game for so long and most pros that are eligible to play would rather not play. Until this becomes a burning desire again, no one cares.

Peace
I think that is the case for why america isn't dominating anymore, if you ask me you have got tangeled with to many diffrent ways to play the game
imho american players on all levels would benefit if you made your rules in NCAA, NFHS, Fed and NBA (might have forgotten something) more similar to eachother. I am not saying they should all be FIBA since I acctually think there are a few flaws in the FIBA rules (like the 3-point line being a bit to short) but I think globally we would benefit if we could design rules that are more similar to eachother then they are now
Old Sat Feb 02, 2008, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
I think that is the case for why america isn't dominating anymore, if you ask me you have got tangeled with to many diffrent ways to play the game
imho american players on all levels would benefit if you made your rules in NCAA, NFHS, Fed and NBA (might have forgotten something) more similar to eachother. I am not saying they should all be FIBA since I acctually think there are a few flaws in the FIBA rules (like the 3-point line being a bit to short) but I think globally we would benefit if we could design rules that are more similar to eachother then they are now
Never happen. NFHS and NCAA rules are written specifically for different age groups. NBA rules are geared towards entertainment. Each ruleset has a different objective.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

But then how come that the rest of the world manages to have the same rules for men and women young and old.
Ok, for example as I mentioned the 3point line should be moved out for pro's and adult players. But then again, it's not that it is an impossibility to do it so why not at least try to make them more alike?
Old Sun Feb 03, 2008, 12:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
But it is... Play On!!