The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Throw in Mechanics

I'm a 3rd year official and I wanted to know (hopefully an evaluator will read this post) what the CORRECT mechanic is on throw-ins. Not what people most often do, but the by-the-book mechanic.

To clarify, which hand would you chop the clock with if you were in these situations, I've also heard that can depend on where the table is (so they can see), and even which hand you want your 10-second count on (if your new trail). So take a look at these situations:

1) you're at the division line for a throw-in to start the new quarter.
2) you're on the baseline in the front court of the team on offense.
3) you're right infront of the bench.

Do you chop with the arm away from the player, or the hand closer (meaning you have to hand the ball across your body)?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If you chop with the hand closest to the player, you run the risk of hitting the player on the shoulder (depending on how tall you both are).
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
If you chop with the hand closest to the player, you run the risk of hitting the player on the shoulder (depending on how tall you both are).
But on the other hand, if you chop with the arm away from the player, you run the risk of hitting the player while making your 5-second count. For the 10-second count I use the arm that is tableside.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I almost never am close enough to the player after handing or bouncing the ball that I would hit him/her with either a chop or a count. I always take a step away to better observe play.

That said, I'm an outside hand chopper and inside hand counter (most of the time - every once in a while I change this up, but I don't know why). I don't care if the table can see my count, and I always make sure they can see my chop - which they should since my hand is high and then chops.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I almost never am close enough to the player after handing or bouncing the ball that I would hit him/her with either a chop or a count. I always take a step away to better observe play.
I do the exact same thing. It has never become an issue because I am far way from the thrower.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

I've even heard some officials say that you should make sure the coach can see your count, if possible. Personally I like to chop with the hand closer to the player, that way i have more control, but I wonder if it looks unprofessional to hand the ball across my body?
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Also, I take a step away from the player throwing in the ball after I hand it to him/her. I do not take the step if I bounce the ball (not needed). When I began reffing a player inbounded the ball behind his back and hit me, this is when I started moving away from the inbounder.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
but the by-the-book mechanic.
My guess is that you'll have to specify the book to have any hope of getting a single "correct" answer.

FWIW, in FED, I hand the ball to the player with the hand closest to the player (when I hand the ball), count with the same hand and chop with the other.

In NCAAW, I count and chop with the hand farthest from the player (this is "by the book"). If I'm T and mirroring a chop from a throw-in administered by L, I chop with the hand closest to the division line.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I've even heard some officials say that you should make sure the coach can see your count, if possible.
I do not count so the coach can see anything. If they cannot see my count then they are not paying attention.

Quote:
Personally I like to chop with the hand closer to the player, that way i have more control, but I wonder if it looks unprofessional to hand the ball across my body?
I do not know of there are any specific mechanics that say do one thing over another. There are people that would not like you to hand the ball across your body and that is why I hand the ball to the thrower with my closest hand. With that being said, it really is not that big of a deal to me.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole's hill.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
Yea, I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole's hill.
Yep.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 10:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I hand the ball with the arm closer to the player. I then count with that arm and chop with the other. Relation to the table isn't a concern. I then simply alternate arms when starting my 10 second count; and again with the first 5 if appropriate.

On a defensive rebound, I probably start with my right hand more often than not, but I honestly couldn't tell you for sure.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:30am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
1) you're at the division line for a throw-in to start the new quarter.
If the inbounding team is going toward the goal on my left (as I'm looking at the table from the division line), hand and count with the left arm, chop with the right. (Reverse things if team is going to the goal on my right.)
Quote:
2) you're on the baseline in the front court of the team on offense.
Hand and count with closer arm. Chop with farther arm.

Re. #1, my association mandates that we backcourt count toward the table.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 08:14am
Administrator

OH!! OH!! The end of the world is near both jdw3018 (Post #4) and Rut (Post #5) handle throw-ins the way I do. The world is doomed.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
OH!! OH!! The end of the world is near both jdw3018 (Post #4) and Rut (Post #5) handle throw-ins the way I do. The world is doomed.

MTD, Sr.
You don't have to be SOOO dramatic!

I'm guessing we agree on pretty much everything - other than the finer points of a kicked ball...