The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

This mechanic confuses me, and I finally paid the penalty.

From C, multiple runners, ball hit to outfield, you come inside, and throw goes home. Now what? If you stay inside you are possibly in the way and perhaps not in the best position to make a call at a base. If you head back outside and they cut the throw and make a quick throw to a base you may be in trouble.

In girls FP I’ve generally been OK on the inside, though I’ve gone in circles sometimes trying to follow the play, and have hit the deck a couple times to avoid a throw. But in Men’s FP it’s like a war zone in there and I feel like a target in a shooting gallery.

Last night the throw went home and in an instant it went to 3B. By time I focused on 3B, the ball was past, picked up by F6, and the throw was heading somewhere towards 2B, but directly at me. From the time the first throw from F8 passed me going home until I got hit could not have been more than 1.5 seconds. I feel very lucky that I do not have a broken arm, but I am badly bruised and in pain today.

I generally come inside F6 about halfway to pitching plate. Because men play so much deeper, and the play moves so much faster, I suspect that I did not get far enough inside last night and may have been too close to the base line.

So what’s the answer? Stay out? Come in, and retreat if the throw goes home? Try to get further inside? Give up Men’s FP because my reflexes may be too slow?

WMB
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Come inside, locate runners (priority from 3B, 2B, 1B). When the ball passes you toward home, turn your shoulders toward 3B and follow the ball with your eyes. If there is a throw back to 3B (your priority call), you are set. If the throw is to 2B or 1B, simply pivot on whatever foot allows you to follow the ball and make the call.

Yes, some level of agility is required here, but that's why we get the big bucks.

JMHO,

Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
WMB,

I would suggest that you try to get as close to the edge of thew circle (do they have a circle in Men's fastpitch?) as possible before you turn to watch the play. That should put you out of harms way for most throws.

SamC
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

"do they have a circle in Men's fastpitch?"

Yes, we have the LBR in Men's FP!

I think that I can agree with you, Sam, but I am not sure that I can get there quick enough. I get pushed into the outfield by the SS, and have to watch for him and the runners as I come in, and that ball from the outfield is already on its way where it may have a bead on the back of my head.

The best move may well have to be to give up Men's FP. I am pushing 64, and too many lbs overweight, and the game seems a little too fast for me, especially under less than optimal lights at night.

BTW - it was fun to watch a young Div 1 female pitcher handle most of the men last night. Of course she was handicapped by having to pitch from 46', and by training she did not use the step back or leap that men do, but she more than held her own; getting beat primarily because her teammates could not score any runs for her.

WMB
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

What Mike said. Know where the runners are (almost), but do not take your eyes off the ball once it is heading home.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

no good way around this one....try to say deep and anticipate...and a little prayer doesnt hurt...
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The most important thing is to face the ball as soon as you can turn coming in and stay with it, no matter how many pivots it takes. After the throw home, back-pedal to just in front of the baseline if you are further in. That should be out of the way of most plays and puts you near the remaining lead runners to cover subsequent plays. After all, we're not supposed to be always right on top of plays anyway. I understand Sam's idea of near the circle, but I think near the baseline gives you a better angle on tag plays, especially throwbacks from home to a base.
BTW, I loved my 1-9-2-6 DP as PU alone, even though I had to fill the hole I drilled in the ground with three pivots.

DON'T QUIT - WORKOUT. We need you.