The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:03am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
This is my first post:

There's only one big name player I can remember officiating; mainly because he was 7' 4'' and weighs 250. At least that was his NBA playing weight:
Rik Smits- formerly of the Indiana Pacers
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach
From the flip side. I was refereed by Ed Hightower when I played JUCO at Lincoln Trail Community College in the 77/78 and 78/79 seasons.
I was officiated by the esteemed member of this forum, tomegun, playing military ball back in the late 90's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsox34
...that had:

Kara Lawson--former Tennessee starting pt guard/current Sacramento Monarch. Best player I ever saw as a twelve year old. Played on AAU team with 16 year olds. She was a really cute kid when whe was young. Made all her team-mates better.

Sue Bird--played for Liberty Belles out of NYC

Albert Gore III--Son of VP AL Gore. Played in CYO league. Was the best player on his teams. Interesting to ref in front of Secret Service.

one of the Grant kids--somebody mentioned him already. son of Harvey or Horace Grant.
That was probably Harvey's kid. I've saw him at a camp in DC a few years ago.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Jan 12, 2008 at 12:43pm.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

One of Rick Pitino's sons in a State Jr. Pro state tournment game. He was a good ft shooter! Was not recurted by his dad?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:04pm
In Memoriam

Sniff it, y'all.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Sniff it, y'all.
doggone it, JR, I saw that you'd posted to this thread, and I thought, AHA!! he's finally going to admit to where he's lived. But no, just more $$%^&...
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Anybody ever officiate a player in JR. High or High School and later work with them as a referee?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Early Years ....

Chamique Holdsclaw (Tennessee, WNBA) in a scrimmage in Bristol, CT.
Tebucky Jones (Syracuse FB, Patriots, Saints) in Catholic middle school league in New Britain, CT.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 12, 2008 at 07:21pm.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
Anybody ever officiate a player in JR. High or High School and later work with them as a referee?
Well, sort of. A player listed in one of my previous posts was in several rec leagues and elite leagues that I reffed, and then on a state-championship hs team, and is now at Stanford. Her senior year in hs, I was supposed to ref a youth tournament at her hs (it was a fund raiser for them) and there weren't enough refs. She took the floor and worked with me. It was really fun because she was (probably still is) a very, very nice girl, and she tried hard to be a good ref. Asked me a lot of questions, and really tried to do what i told her. We did a couple of games together. Later in the season she saw me and told me she'd had a lot of fun and that she really would ref later when she couldn't play anymore. We'll see if she does.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Harlem Magicians

I once volunteered to officiate a Harlem Magicians game, which raised money for our local high school's football program. Luckily, for some reason, the Magicians, for the most part, picked on my partner, who also happened to be our local fire chief. FYI: The Magicians are like a "minor league" version of the Harlem Globetrotters.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:42pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I managed to miss a call at home and then at work for a Harlem Diplomat game at our local HS this past fall. It was not on purpose, but it could have been.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 09:26pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
Quote:
Actually, I've worked with a lot of the guys that officiated me in high school. I graduated high school in 2004 and started working varsity basketball in 2006, so I remembered most of their faces. I was one of those players you hated to officiate in high school. Always complained about calls and never said please or thank you. I was a real a$$. So every time I work with someone who officiated me I apologize to them. They don't remember me, but it makes me feel better to apologize.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

I honestly have not paid that much attention to specific players I've worked and how their careers progressed. I do recall, however, working the games of Stevin Smith, who came out of Dallas Spruce High School to play at Arizona State. You might remember Smith as the individual who served time in prison for his involvement in a point shaving scandal at ASU. Quite an interesting character.
Old Sun Jan 13, 2008, 01:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
There's a local guy here who was a 1st round NBA pick back in '91 or '92. I've officiated many of his adult rec leagues games over the last few years and he has also coached AAU and HS games I've officiated. He joined our board this year and is in his first season of officiating. And he is a natural. If he sticks with this he will be a GREAT basketball official.