The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Players you have officiated. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40935-players-you-have-officiated.html)

JRutledge Thu Jan 10, 2008 01:50pm

Players you have officiated.

I was watching a highlight of the North Carolina-Asheville vs. North Carolina and saw a kid that I officiating while he was in HS and during his AAU career when he was a freshman. The kid's name is Kenny George and he was the 7-6 player that got dunked on a couple of times by UNC.

I just wanted to know what players have you officiated that are playing at the college level now or at the pro level. Also do you have any stories about the players that showed they were "Big time" or where the kids exceptionally nice and cordial?

Just last year I officiated Jarred Bayliss that is playing at Arizona as a true freshman. I had him in a tournament that brought a lot of Division 1 players to play each other all across the country. I also had a kid or two that were going to other Division 1 programs; I just do not know all of their names and would have to research a little to know exactly where these kids ended up. Bayliss constantly thought he was fouled every time he made a jump shot. I even told him one time, "This is the Midwest, we do not call that around here."

I officiated Bobby Frasor during his junior year and he is now at North Carolina in a game when everything he put up went in. The same went for his teammates.

The most famous pair I had last season was Jeffrey and Marcus Jordan (Yes that Jordan). Jeffrey is now at Illinois as a walk-on. I had Jeffrey on three different occasions. The first time I officiated him it was in the United Center about 2 years ago. The next two times were last year. Funny thing I had their school twice in the same week (last season) and their parents were in attendance for the first game. The second game they had filed for divorce on Friday and the game was on that Saturday. Obviously the place was packed both times, but not to see the games so much, to get a look at MJ (I do have a funny story I will tell about that game that did not involve me directly). Both Jordan's parents and family were vocal, but nothing out of the ordinary or purely unsportsmanlike. But as much as their parents might have said to us, the kids were a joy to work for. They never said a word about being fouled or even or the officiating. There was even a time when Jeffrey went to the basket and was cleanly blocked several times with some contact; he never said a word about a foul or the amount of contact. He just got up and kept coming. There are kids that are not even talented half as much as these two are and these kids did not say a word or even act like they were not getting treated fairly.
Do you guys have any similar stories to tell about players, parents or anything about how coaches might have expected you to "protect their All-Americans" like was said to me a few years ago. But that is another story for another day.

Peace

rainmaker Thu Jan 10, 2008 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I was watching a highlight of the North Carolina-Asheville vs. North Carolina and saw a kid that I officiating while he was in HS and during his AAU career when he was a freshman. The kid's name is Kenny George and he was the 7-6 player that got dunked on a couple of times by UNC.

I just wanted to know what players have you officiated that are playing at the college level now or at the pro level. Also do you have any stories about the players that showed they were "Big time" or where the kids exceptionally nice and cordial?

Jillian Harmon and JJ Hones at Stanford now. I adore JJ Hones. She's a really nice girl, and very, very bright and capable player.

Michael Dunleavy in a couple of rec league games once (Dad in the stands watching)

Kevin Love in summer ball when he was in like 6th grade.

Probably someone else that doesn't come to mind at the moment.

Corndog89 Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:06pm

I called a few rec games Derrick Low (Washington State guard) played in before he even started HS in Hawaii. Even as a 13-14 year old he was obviously very gifted. The best thing about him though is that he never tried to take over rec games (and these were HS summer games to be fair) that he could have easily dominated if he wanted to. He passed to his teammates to give them good shots and played good defense. Very nice, humble, courteous young man and from what I've heard he's remained that way. If they could all be that way (and that talented) the game would be sooooo much better off.

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:10pm

I have a couple, but they are both sad stories. One kid, very talented got a scholarship to a solid mid-major D1 program, but transferred out D3 school after his freshman year -- after his father tried to intimidate the coach to give him more playing time.

The other was a girl who gave a verbal commitment to a Big East school after her junior year. Then over the summer she put on about 30 pounds -- not muscle -- had a mediocre season, at best, then flunked out of HS. I heard that the college was willing to hold her scholarship until she could get a GED and a season of community college experience, but she never enrolled at the juco. :(

Smitty Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:21pm

Abby Waner currently at Duke - best female player I have ever seen in a game I've worked.

fullor30 Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Jillian Harmon and JJ Hones at Stanford now. I adore JJ Hones. She's a really nice girl, and very, very bright and capable player.

Michael Dunleavy in a couple of rec league games once (Dad in the stands watching)

Kevin Love in summer ball when he was in like 6th grade.

Probably someone else that doesn't come to mind at the moment.

Both Jordans, Candice Parker, Peter Patton(Loyola Academy, DePaul, Europe) Jon Scheyer, Duke (kids game)
Tyler Smith (Penn State, Europe). Many D1 guys I can't remember.

My best memory was giving Kevin Garnett, his Mom and sister a ride home from O'Hare after we flew home together after the Mcdonald's all american game in 95. I was with a marketing company that 'baby sat' somewhat the team that year. I had a small Lexus at the time and Kevin's knees almost hit the roof. He told me, "man, you got a Lexus! I'm gonna get me one someday"

I read a year or two later he had 3 not to mention a few other models.:D

Great guy, and a real gentleman, a tribute to his Mom, Shirley, who raised him right. You'll never hear a bad word about KG.

Gimlet25id Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:45pm

Never really sit down and thought about this until now. Around my way in Indiana we have been very fortunate to see some really good players.

We have a tournament around the Christmas break called the " The Circle City Classic," that brings some really good teams from around the country to play some really good teams here in Indiana.

Here are a few of the many that I've had a chance to officiate...I'm sure I will misspell some names..

Dominic James, Marquette
AJ Ratliff, Indiana
Deonta Vaughn, Cincinnati
Mike Conley, Ohio State, NBA
Greg Oden, Ohio State, NBA
Matt Howard, Butler
Hansborough, UNC
Eric Gordon, Indiana
Amber Harris, Xavier
Tashea Phillips, Xavier

I'm sure there are more. These are the most recent. Mike Conley and Greg Oden played on the same High School team. I actually officiated 2 of their 3 losses in 2 years. One was a televised game between them and @ the time, Nationally ranked Arlington (Indianapolis).

Andy Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:45pm

In basketball, I did some of the High School and summer league games that Mike Bibby (Sacramento Kings) and Richard Jefferson (NJ Nets) played in.

Jefferson never said a word...just played.

Bibby didn't say much, but you could tell he expected to be treated like a star. His HS coach wouldn't let his players talk to officials, but he (the coach) made up for it.....

In softball, I have umpired games with several players that went on to play for The University of Arizona, UCLA, and other top D1 teams as well as the Olympic team...Alicia Hollowell, Caitlin Lowe come to mind right away, I would have to do some research to find others.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:59pm

Haven't kept track, but I've certainly officiated lots of kids of NBA players, including those of Maurice Lucas, Rick Adelman, Kevin Kunnert and Kenny Carr, plus many more.

Oh yeah - I worked a Trailblazer Alumni Team game once. Does that count?

cmathews Thu Jan 10, 2008 02:59pm

at wake forest now

James Johnson, is starting as a freshman at Wake, I did several of his games here in Cheyenne. He was head and shoulders better than most kids he played. Never said a word.

TimTaylor Thu Jan 10, 2008 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

I've done a few of those - lots of fun!

Bad Zebra Thu Jan 10, 2008 03:26pm

You mean to tell me nobody here has been graced by the on-court presence of Diebler as he was ascending to omnipotence?

Coltdoggs Thu Jan 10, 2008 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Never really sit down and thought about this until now. Around my way in Indiana we have been very fortunate to see some really good players.

We have a tournament around the Christmas break called the " The Circle City Classic," that brings some really good teams from around the country to play some really good teams here in Indiana.

Here are a few of the many that I've had a chance to officiate...I'm sure I will misspell some names..

Dominic James, Marquette
AJ Ratliff, Indiana
Deonta Vaughn, Cincinnati
Mike Conley, Ohio State, NBA
Greg Oden, Ohio State, NBA
Matt Howard, Butler
Hansborough, UNC
Eric Gordon, Indiana
Amber Harris, Xavier
Tashea Phillips, Xavier

I'm sure there are more. These are the most recent. Mike Conley and Greg Oden played on the same High School team. I actually officiated 2 of their 3 losses in 2 years. One was a televised game between them and @ the time, Nationally ranked Arlington (Indianapolis).

Oh yeah...a nice list of local talent there Gimlet...What is amazing is that Ratliff, Vaughn, Oden, Conley and Gordon (add McRoberts from Duke)....All those guys came from Indy and played each others schools 1-3 times a year....A lot of talent has come out of Central Indy the past few years...

In my first year I did an AAU/Superhoops tourney and it was the first time I had kids really taller than me as I had gotten my start in a rec league doing 3-8 graders. My partner was late and I had to start the game by myself...I was like :eek: I was so SCARED!

Two Cs come to the center circle for the toss, one is about 6'-9" the other about 6'6". The 6'9" kid was Greg Oden in the 8th grade!

He and Conley were playing that day but at that time I didn't realize who Oden was....I knew his school and I knew they had a BIG FELLA, as you heard some stories about him but I'd not seen him play yet. I don't remember much from that game as I was just trying not to puke!

fullor30 Thu Jan 10, 2008 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Haven't kept track, but I've certainly officiated lots of kids of NBA players, including those of Maurice Lucas, Rick Adelman, Kevin Kunnert and Kenny Carr, plus many more.

You reminded me of a little story....doing a boys travel game a few years back and walk into the gym with both teams on the floor and table ready and parents edgy. We were given the wrong time for the game so I was 'late' by 15 minutes, my partner wasn't there yet. A parent starts getting on me as I take off my jacket about being 'late' I turn around and it's Toni Kucoc so I smile and whack him. He looks in disbelief for a second and we both start laughing.

I've reffed Jordan's kids along with Bill Cartwright, John Paxson, Horace Grant and Bill Wennington's kids.

Our Parish at one time had Paxson as 7th or 8th grade coach and Wennington as the other age group coach.

How would you like to have your first game with both those two?

buckrog64 Thu Jan 10, 2008 03:35pm

I reffed a lot of games with guys who thought they were Kobe, Michael, etc.