The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Double Foul: True or False?

I had a BJV game Friday that had an ugly moment in it. We're down by A's basket in the second quarter, and partner passes on a push by A1. Shot goes up, and A1 pushes B1 again, harder, under the basket (and in my primary). As I whistle that foul, B1 turns and throws a half-hearted punch toward A1, which he fails to land (A1 has backed away).

I ended up calling a double foul, but as I think about it, I probably should have called an unsporting T on B1 for the punch (attempt). I also realize that the punch attempt qualifies as fighting, and the T could have been flagrant. My judgment was (and remains) that the situation didn't warrant the flagrant T; if it makes any difference, I didn't have any problem with either of these two for the rest of the game.

Questions:
1. What would you have called?
2. If I had called the T on B1 after the foul on A1, how would that be administered? That would have been a false double foul, correct?
3. What do you think about calling a flagrant T in this situation? In general?
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

From you description, the players clearly did not foul each other at the same time. So, I wouldn't have a double foul.

If the "half-hearted punch" was with a closed fist, then I think you have to get it. If it was more of a push / shove, then I think you address it verbally, without a foul.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what Bob said, with the possible exception that if the "punch" was more of a push, you could certainly call it an unsporting tech. If it wa a punch, however, you have to go with the flagrant T.

Either way, if the action by B1 was during a dead ball (can't tell if the try was still in flight in the OP) then it can only be a technical foul. If the ball was still live, then it would either be a common foul, an intentional foul, or a flagrant foul.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

Questions:
2. If I had called the T on B1 after the foul on A1, how would that be administered? That would have been a false double foul, correct?
1. Personal foul on A1 and a technical foul on B1. That is your only option since B1 did NOT make contact with the opponent.

Because of that fact, whether the ball is live or dead doesn't have anything to do with this play. What jdw wrote is incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
If the ball was still live, then it would either be a common foul, an intentional foul, or a flagrant foul.
2. Administer any FTs warranted to B1 due to the bonus with the lane cleared, then administer 2FTs to any member of Team A plus award the ball OOB at the division line to Team A. Yep, FDF and is administered in the order of occurence.

3. Strongly consider it.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jan 14, 2008 at 10:13am.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
1. Personal foul on A1 and a technical foul on B1. That is your only option since B1 did NOT make contact with the opponent.

Because of that fact, whether the ball is live or dead doesn't have anything to do with this play. What jdw wrote is incorrect.
Thanks for the correction, Nevada - wasn't even thinking about the fact that no contact was made...
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong.

Throwing a punch is fighting, regardless of whether there's contact or not.

I have a personal foul on A1 and a flagrant technical foul for B1, along with an ejection and 4 game suspension under state association rules.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Jan 14, 2008 at 11:06am.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
WRONG.

I have a personal foul on A1 and a flagrant technical foul for B1, along with an ejection and 4 game suspension under state association rules.
I'm pretty sure Nevada was simply responding to the OP and my posts which gave options for common, intentional or flagrant fouls if the ball was live. Since there was no contact, however, those aren't options and a technical foul is the only option.

Now, it could be a flagrant technical, but it's still a technical. Notice he said in point 3 of his post that he's strongly consider it.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Throwing a punch is a flagrant technical foul. There is no other option.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Throwing a punch is a flagrant technical foul. There is no other option.
Agreed. What's unclear is what actually happened - it was a "half-hearted" punch. Does that mean a closed fist? More of an attempt to shove?

That's what several of the posts said. And I've seen nobody post that if it was truly a punch it should be anything but a flagrant T.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I had a BJV game Friday that had an ugly moment in it. We're down by A's basket in the second quarter, and partner passes on a push by A1. Shot goes up, and A1 pushes B1 again, harder, under the basket (and in my primary). As I whistle that foul, B1 turns and throws a half-hearted punch toward A1, which he fails to land (A1 has backed away).

I ended up calling a double foul, but as I think about it, I probably should have called an unsporting T on B1 for the punch (attempt). I also realize that the punch attempt qualifies as fighting, and the T could have been flagrant. My judgment was (and remains) that the situation didn't warrant the flagrant T; if it makes any difference, I didn't have any problem with either of these two for the rest of the game.

Questions:
False double. Personal foul and a flagrant technical foul for the punch.

Administer in the order they were committed.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
False double. Personal foul and a flagrant technical foul for the punch.

Administer in the order they were committed.
There you go simplifying things again...
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong.

Huh? What's "Wrong" with my response? I just pointed out to jdw that the foul by B1 could not be a personal foul, but instead must be technical.
I wrote the same fouls as you did, except without the word "flagrant" in front of technical because I believe that is for the official on the court to decide. He is the only one who can judge whether or not the act was flagrant. I wasn't there and thus can't say. I can only offer to "strongly consider it" as I wrote in my previous post.

But if you want to take an attitude about it, I can quote the OP.
Quote:
My judgment was (and remains) that the situation didn't warrant the flagrant T...
I guess that makes you the one who is "wrong."

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jan 14, 2008 at 12:02pm.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Huh? What's "Wrong" with my response? I just pointed out to jdw that the foul by B1 could not be a personal foul, but instead must be technical.
I wrote the same fouls as you did, except without the word "flagrant" in front of technical because I believe that is for the official on the court to decide. He is the only one who can judge whether or not the act was flagrant. I wasn't there and thus can't say. I can only offer to "strongly consider it" as I wrote in my previous post.

But if you want to take an attitude about it, I can quote the OP.

I guess that makes you the one who is "wrong."
Quote:
As I whistle that foul, B1 turns and throws a half-hearted punch toward A1,
That makes you and the OP both wrong.

A punch thrown is fighting, period.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
That makes you and the OP both wrong.

A punch thrown is fighting, period.
You cannot ignore the punch. From the OP that sounds clearly like a punch that was missed.

And if you feel like the player that had the punch thrown in their direction helped instigate the situation, then you can get them too for fighting. You do not need to throw a punch to be accused of fighting.

PEace
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You cannot ignore the punch. From the OP that sounds clearly like a punch that was missed.

And if you feel like the player that had the punch thrown in their direction helped instigate the situation, then you can get them too for fighting. You do not need to throw a punch to be accused of fighting.

PEace
Good point. Depending on what A1 did to provoke the punch we could have 2 ejections for fighting.