The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

OK......Player A1 has picked up a loose ball and has possesion. Player B1 comes runing into player A1 while reaching for the ball and causes too much contact. Player B1 is whistled for the foul but, right after this Player A1 while showing his frustration elbows Player B1.

I felt that the elbow was not a flagrant or a technical situation but was enough of a foul and it was certain that something had to be called on A1. So, after I called the the fould on B1, I called another foul on A1 (one whistle after the other). After talking with my partner it was decided that we would go with altenating posession nearest the fouls.

I feel good about how it was handled but am not sure it is the correct call.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

A1's foul should have been ignored unless it was deemed intentional or flagerant. An elbow on a dead ball in my eyes could start a fight, so i would've given a1 a flagerant technical, so B gets the ball at halfcourt across from the scorer.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WAZebra
OK......Player A1 has picked up a loose ball and has possesion. Player B1 comes runing into player A1 while reaching for the ball and causes too much contact. Player B1 is whistled for the foul but, right after this Player A1 while showing his frustration elbows Player B1.

I felt that the elbow was not a flagrant or a technical situation but was enough of a foul and it was certain that something had to be called on A1. So, after I called the the foul on B1, I called another foul on A1 (one whistle after the other). After talking with my partner it was decided that we would go with altenating posession nearest the fouls.

I feel good about how it was handled but am not sure it is the correct call.
'Fraid not, partner. The contact is during a dead ball. Therefore, it is a technical foul or it's nothing at all. But it can't be a personal foul. If you call the T, then it is a false double foul. The T may or may not be flagrant. Shoot all required FTs and give the ball to B at the division line.

You handled it as a double personal foul, which was incorrect.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys!

Wow.....this is awesome it took only a few minutes to have two of you confirm that I screwed up. I won't tell anyone because everyone here at home thinks I am perfect.....lol
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by WAZebra
I won't tell anyone because everyone here at home thinks I am perfect.....lol
So, you're single!

These board is very busy, especially this time of year. Rarely do posts go very long without being replied to. It's more like conversation than a discussion board.

Welcome aboard!