The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
They used to play in a cage made out of chicken wire.
http://www.oddtodd.com/1069589.jpg

http://www.capitalcentury.com/Cage.jpg
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
If only HC-V had listened to his Team Captain, he would still have a coaching job.
This doesn't prove the "authority" of the captain, only the idiocy of this coach.

Quote:
P.S. If officials knew and understood precedent and the historical context of the rules, I wouldn't have to write such long dissertions to state the obvious. I really don't think you read any of the rules references I gave nor did you give much weight to how little power that HC has really had per the rules. Re-read my post about the game in the late 1930's and early 1940's, that is the historical context which lays out how the Rules Committee views the Team Captains and the Head Coach. I would suggest that you start using the Team Captains to your advantage. Remind them in the pre-game conference they are in charge of their teams. Remind them that you expect them to break the huddle on the first horn and they are not to wait until their HC decides he is done giving them a 75 second dissertation during a 30 second timeout. You will be suprised how much influence a Team Captain can have over an Head Screaming Monkey (oops, I meant a Head Coach).
Who the heck cares about the late 30's and early 40's? I've never, never seen a captain exercise ANY authority or power over a coach, in any game that I've worked or watched from the stands, or seen on TV. And that's a lot of games. Some captains may have some influence over some coaches, but that's by far the minority of situations. You appear to me to be really out to lunch on this one.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Head Screaming Monkey (oops, I meant a Head Coach).
Mark, please note the correct designation for Head Coach is Howler Monkey, not Screaming Monkey. Please keep your euphemisms straight. Thank you.

BTW - here's a photo of a coach I had this Saturday:

Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Mark, please note the correct designation for Head Coach is Howler Monkey, not Screaming Monkey. Please keep your euphemisms straight. Thank you.

BTW - here's a photo of a coach I had this Saturday:

Mark:

I stand corrected and will edit my post immediately.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheRef
I've been reading all day and weekend due to the fact that I've been on the court all weekend long and just to tired to post, but Scrap took the words right out of my mouth...what took you and your partner so long to toss the coach? I don't know Daryl Long, but he must be a well respected official for you to call him by name, so seriously, what took you guys so long?

Daryl H. Long also known on the Board as "The Preacher" is the person in question.

You asked the question: "What took you guys so long?" I presume you wanted to know why it so long for him to get his 2nd TF. My TF was with just under 20 seconds left in the 3rd quarter. Since OhioHSAA sanctioned 7th grade games are played using 6 minute quarters. Daryl's TF came with 5:20 left in the 4th quarter. Team V was getting blown out by Team H. The total amount of playing time between HC-V's first TF and his second TF was less that one minute. Good officials don't give the HC his 2nd TF immediately in this situation. Good officials try to get the HC to willingly comply with the Coaching Box rule. We went the extra mile in this 7th grade game and the HC did not want to meet us half way and he lost his job over it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 01:40am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Scrapper:

Daryl Long and I were officiating a boy's 7th/8th grade doubleheader just this past December. Late (less than 60 seconds to play; OhioHSAA uses 6 minute quarters for jr. H.S. games) in the 3rd quarter of the 7th grade game HC-V took exception to my officiating and committed an act of unsportsmanlike conduct and I charged him with the appropriate TF. Daryl came over and informed him that he had lost the use of the Coaching Box for the remainder of the game. HC-V thought Daryl didn't mean it when he told him that he had lost his right to use the CB because he remained standing for the remainder of the 3rd quarter; Daryl even reminded him when he was the T and Team V had the ball in their front court before the end of the 3rd quarter. Less than a minute into the 4th quarter A1 went to the line to shoot 2 FT's and HC-V was still standing. As the T for the upcoming FT's I instructed Captain-V to go over to his coach and instruct him to sit down because he had lost the use of the CB; Captain-V went over to HC-V and told him he had to sit down. HC-V did not sit down. We shot the free throws (which A1 made) and Team V headed up the court with the ball. HC-V remained standing the entire time. At this point the ball went out-of-bounds in front of HC-V and Daryl reminded him that he need to sit down. HC-V wanted to know why. Daryl reminded him that he (Daryl that is) had told him when he (HC-V) received his TF that he had to sit down. HC-V's response was that he doesn't listen to what officials say to him when he is coaching because he has more important things to do. Daryl then reminded him that I (meaning MTD, Sr.) had even sent his Captian to instruct to sit down and he still hadn't sat down. HC-V response to Daryl was: "My captain doesn't tell me what to do." WHACK!! (By Daryl.) HC-V disqualified and ejected (now Daryl has to write a game report).
Are you putting us on? You notified/warned/reminded him 5
times that he had lost the box, and then kicked him out for saying "My captain doesn't tell me what to do." This sounds like the most reasonable statement of the whole exchange to me.

Lonesome Dove