Thread: Whaddya got?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
If only HC-V had listened to his Team Captain, he would still have a coaching job.
This doesn't prove the "authority" of the captain, only the idiocy of this coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
P.S. If officials knew and understood precedent and the historical context of the rules, I wouldn't have to write such long dissertions to state the obvious. I really don't think you read any of the rules references I gave nor did you give much weight to how little power that HC has really had per the rules. Re-read my post about the game in the late 1930's and early 1940's, that is the historical context which lays out how the Rules Committee views the Team Captains and the Head Coach. I would suggest that you start using the Team Captains to your advantage. Remind them in the pre-game conference they are in charge of their teams. Remind them that you expect them to break the huddle on the first horn and they are not to wait until their HC decides he is done giving them a 75 second dissertation during a 30 second timeout. You will be suprised how much influence a Team Captain can have over an Head Screaming Monkey (oops, I meant a Head Coach).
Who the heck cares about the late 30's and early 40's? I've never, never seen a captain exercise ANY authority or power over a coach, in any game that I've worked or watched from the stands, or seen on TV. And that's a lot of games. Some captains may have some influence over some coaches, but that's by far the minority of situations. You appear to me to be really out to lunch on this one.