The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge out of primary

I'm the R and the T on the play.
Jump ball. A1 passes to A2. A2 driving down towards the basket on the opposite side in front of the lead. I'm the T trailing the play. A2 dribbler contacts B1 at lane line and B1 falls to the ground right in front of the lead who has a good angle on the play. No call. A2 is then fouled by B2 called by the lead.

Would you as the trail come in and make the charge call? I thought a whistle was needed because of the contact and displacement but passed because it was right in front of the lead.

Last edited by hbioteach; Wed Jan 09, 2008 at 11:05am.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:11am
Esteemed Participant

If it was one of those situations where you said "OH MY GOD, THAT'S A FOUL!!" then you should have had a whistle.

If it was more of "Oh, that looked like it might have been PC/block" then leave it alone and trust your partner.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Let your partner live and die with it. You are not responsible for the whole court. That's why you have a partner.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Let your partner live and die with it. You are not responsible for the whole court. That's why you have a partner.
I disagree, If an egregious foul happens out of my area and I happen to catch it, I'm waiting for whistle, if it's not there, I'm grabbing it.

I also think I am responsible to some extent for the whole court. I'm trail and ball goes OB on endline and my lead is looking somewhere else for any reason and no whistle, are you going to let him live and die with it?

Semantics yes, but live and die might be a little harsh.

That's why you have a partner as you say.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:30am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Who's call is it, the popcorn guy's?

If it is a major contact, I have no problem with you stepping in. I like rockyroad's take - if it makes you say "Oh My God!", then take it.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Maybe Lead thought B1 flopped.

You're maybe 40 feet away...partner is maybe 10 feet away. I think I'd trust my partner on that one.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=hbioteach] A2 dribbler contacts B1 at lane line and B1 falls to the ground right in front of the lead who has a good angle on the play. QUOTE]

You say it all right there. Lead has a good angle, why go in there? In a case like this, when I have a chance I'll ask my partner what they saw just to get an idea of their thinking. I would not phone this one in from trail unless you are sure they didn't see the whole play or if they happen to be straight lined for some reason.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Who's call is it, the popcorn guy's?

If it is a major contact, I have no problem with you stepping in. I like rockyroad's take - if it makes you say "Oh My God!", then take it.
Exactly. That's being a great partner and keeping you BOTH out of trouble. It's also good for the game.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
Exactly. That's being a great partner and keeping you BOTH out of trouble. It's also good for the game.
I disagree. I had a game earlier this year with a very good official that I had never worked with. Early in the game I'm L. There's a one on one play on the C side of the lane. The defender goes down with a huge bang and I thought, "Geez, that looked bad from here." I talked to my partner soon afterwards and he had the kid taking a dive. I'm glad I didn't hit the whistle. Yes, there are times when you have to go out of your area, but if your partner has a good look, let them call their area. The reason we have coverage areas is because that is the area where we have sight lines and angles. When we go out of that area, the chances that we are wrong increase greatly.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I disagree. I had a game earlier this year with a very good official that I had never worked with. Early in the game I'm L. There's a one on one play on the C side of the lane. The defender goes down with a huge bang and I thought, "Geez, that looked bad from here." I talked to my partner soon afterwards and he had the kid taking a dive. I'm glad I didn't hit the whistle. Yes, there are times when you have to go out of your area, but if your partner has a good look, let them call their area. The reason we have coverage areas is because that is the area where we have sight lines and angles. When we go out of that area, the chances that we are wrong increase greatly.

You used the operative words "thought" "looked" ...not real positve. IMO you done good holding whistle. There has to be no doubt, which includes a good sight line.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach
A2 dribbler contacts B1
Quote:
I thought, "Geez, that looked bad from here."
You thought? When you think you see a travel, do you call it? Just sayin' we gotta know there is contact. Seems like the OP knew there was contact.

I've picked up that PC call before and have had others pick it up for me. In either case, they're rare cases. We're a team and let's get the play right.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You thought? When you think you see a travel, do you call it? Just sayin' we gotta know there is contact. Seems like the OP knew there was contact.

I've picked up that PC call before and have had others pick it up for me. In either case, they're rare cases. We're a team and let's get the play right.
I agree, but the OP also says that the L had a great angle. If my partner has a great angle they must have a better look than I do as T. I'm not going in on that one as there must have been more to the play than I saw.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:14pm

Quote:
I agree, but the OP also says that the L had a great angle. If my partner has a great angle they must have a better look than I do as T. I'm not going in on that one as there must have been more to the play than I saw.
Brain fart. You've had them, I've had them. Only JR has never had a brain fart. He's ridicously consistent.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Brain fart. You've had them, I've had them. Only JR has never had a brain fart. He's ridicously consistent.

JR doesn't HAVE brain farts. JR IS a brain fart!

Just saying.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ask yourself this: Where did the play originate from?

If it orginated from the lead area good no call;

If it orginated from your area and you clearly seen the contact by A1 on B1 it's your call. Why did you pass on the contact? Please don't say because the lead had a better angle.