The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

opponents go to locker room before FT's are shot

Here is the situation told to me by a friend of mine. With time running out in the first half player A1 heaves a ¾ court shot. Player B1 whacks A1 in the arm as he is launching his 2 handed heave. Time expires before the clock is stopped. Coach of B takes all his players to the locker room.

Is it fine for B to leave the court and go to the LR before the FT's are shot or do they need to stay on the floor until the FT's have been shot? There is no time left, so nothing will occur after the FT's but the half time will begin. If we have a T, do we have one, or one for each of the 5 players who left the floor?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I would say that technically, the quarter isn't complete so they can't leave the floor. However, they're not doing so to gain an advantage, so why should they have to stay?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

clock at zero, buzzer went off. Let it go unless team is running past shooter violating FT restricitons.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
clock at zero, buzzer went off. Let it go unless team is running past shooter violating FT restricitons.
The official said the foul was definitely before the horn, but the horn went off afterwards. That is not a problem, if you do not have definite knowledge of the time remaining, you would not reset the clock, but would still shoot the FT's.

The question is, BY THE BOOK, is it a T?
The 2nd question is, would you give them the T if they left?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Here is the situation told to me by a friend of mine. With time running out in the first half player A1 heaves a ¾ court shot. Player B1 whacks A1 in the arm as he is launching his 2 handed heave. Time expires before the clock is stopped. Coach of B takes all his players to the locker room.

Is it fine for B to leave the court and go to the LR before the FT's are shot or do they need to stay on the floor until the FT's have been shot? There is no time left, so nothing will occur after the FT's but the half time will begin. If we have a T, do we have one, or one for each of the 5 players who left the floor?
Until the free throws are completed the quarter isn't over.(The real significance of this is for throws to end the 4th quarter. To see if an extra period is needed) There really isn't a penalty, that I can find, that would allow you to penalize the coach or players for leaving the visual confines of the floor after expiration of the 2nd quarter.

In the past it used to be a player technical if a player left the floor for an unauthorized reason, that no longer is in the book. Its now just simply a violation during a live ball while the clock is running.

Now we penalize the player for failing to return to the playing court in a timely fashion after leaving the floor legally. I suppose an argument could be made that in your play they didn't leave legally but they didn't leave in the guise to be deceitful. No penalty!

Lets say for example the foul happened, whistle blew, no horn, triple zero's on the clock, coach goes to the locker room with his/her players. In this situation we are to shoot the free throws with the lane filled with @ least the low blocks filled by the defense. You could use the resumption of play here for the first and then if the coach/team still doesn't come out then give a team technical for the delay.

I think what your looking for if anything in this case is...the team causing a delay in the shooting of the free throws? No he isn't so its nothing.

Last edited by Gimlet25id; Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 01:53pm.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

What about failure to occupy the assigned bench, could you get them for that? Team tech?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
What about failure to occupy the assigned bench, could you get them for that? Team tech?
What? are you guys really looking that hard to find a reason/way to give the T? A better way to go - since buzzer did go off and clock at 0:00 is to let them go and have A shoot FT.

Why make trouble? Coach is questioning call or anything - he's just getting on with business. JMO
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
What? are you guys really looking that hard to find a reason/way to give the T? A better way to go - since buzzer did go off and clock at 0:00 is to let them go and have A shoot FT.

Why make trouble? Coach is questioning call or anything - he's just getting on with business. JMO

Agreed
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
I suppose you could argue that you could use that penalty for this...I wouldn't since them leaving didn't gain them an advantage or delay the game in any way.

Besides I think it would be a stretch since they occupied the right bench the entire half. IMHO this penalty is intended for a team who doesn't want to occupy its assigned bench (say @ a tournament) and occupies a bench that isn't his/hers.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

If you "just shoot the FTs"... what do you do with 8-1-4, requiring players from the non-shooting team to occupty the two lowest lanes? I am thinking that since time had expired, you could empty the lanes. But if the lanes "may be occupied" (Art. 4... During a free throw when lane spaces may be occupied then the defensive team is required to fill those two lane spaces, aren't they? Therefore... couldn't you signal a violation on any missed free throw attempt by the shooting team, and allow them to re-shoot?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
If you "just shoot the FTs"... what do you do with 8-1-4, requiring players from the non-shooting team to occupty the two lowest lanes? I am thinking that since time had expired, you could empty the lanes. But if the lanes "may be occupied" (Art. 4... During a free throw when lane spaces may be occupied then the defensive team is required to fill those two lane spaces, aren't they? Therefore... couldn't you signal a violation on any missed free throw attempt by the shooting team, and allow them to re-shoot?
You always clear the lane if time has expired.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Whoops! Of course.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya
In the OP play time has expired and the horn has sounded. You shoot the FT's with the lane cleared. If the foul was called with triple 0's but the horn didn't sound then time hasn't expired yet. In this case the 2 bottom spaces are required to be filled. If they aren't (team is gone) then use the resumption of play, if its missed they get another. If the shot is missed and the team still isn't back or won't come back then it would be a delay of game "T".
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

JMO,until the OP comes back and identify whether the T happen before or after the FT's the answer will not be definitive.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
JMO,until the OP comes back and identify whether the T happen before or after the FT's the answer will not be definitive.
You're posting that on the wrong thread, truerookie. This one is just asking if there should be a T because team B left before the FTs...