The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a double header recently in a league that uses 3-man for boys FR and JV on friday nights to give guys exposure to the system. I was U2 in the FR game and the R in the JV. The issue...U1 went to the same spot in lead and never rotated regardless of the ball position. This left me reffing 8 players pretty much all alone in the slot on at least 3 or 4 occaisons. When I was lead, several times, he didnt see me rotate so I had to cross diagonally in transition. That happened 2 or 3 times. Finally, I just quit rotating myself because I knew he wasnt going to adjust.

Between games, I mentioned to both partners I was going to rotate a bit more this game to get better angles and they said OK. In the end, neither partner rotated 1x in 8 quarters.

Should I:

A) let them know my frustration in the locker room next time
B) let assignor know
C) ignore it and hope I dont get matched up with them again
D) some or all of the above

I lucked out because originally one of the assignors I work for was assigned to the V behind us. Fortunately he had to send the game back because I would have been pissed to be so locked down in front of someone I need to look good in front of.

Larks
VIT
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Between games, I mentioned to both partners I was going to rotate a bit more this game to get better angles and they said OK. In the end, neither partner rotated 1x in 8 quarters.
Rather than making this remark, you should have pointed out that "we" aren't rotating enough. Then, cite the examples where you were officiating 8 players and explain that the L has to rotate in those situations. You had a teaching opportunity. You should have taken advantage of it.

JMHO
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Agreed, problem is I was the "rookie". Torn here because I dont want to come off as the "know it all".
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:21am
Official Forum Member

Then I am remiss. I assumed your partners might not be switching due to inexperience. It would seem that it was actually due to apathy.

In this situation, it might have been better to ask questions that didn't indict your partners for what you obviously knew was wrong. "Are we not switching enough?" "When the ball and 8 players are Center side, should the Lead rotate over?"

If faced with it again, I would switch appropriately and bring it up at half time if it became an issue again, using that same tact.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Good stuff...thx BBR
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agreed, problem is I was the "rookie". Torn here because I dont want to come off as the "know it all".
Fr, JV, these guys are not vets. They are 10yr, one yr officials. Next time do a good pregame and cover the problems you incounterd. I had a Sup. tell me to run up your partners back and make him go down to L. Remember the flex is complete when the L crosses the lane line. We no longer have the new T cross over to adjust to the partners who did not notice the flex. We are flexing off the ball. And in doing so, the C and T must know where the L is at all times. The last time I had a problem was 3 yrs ago, NCAA women's. One of my partners was not a 100% because of an injury. We had a quick transition just as I crossed the lane line. My slow partner(I don't mean this as criticism) was C, new L. Well we took off to the other end and I notice it looked like my two partners didn't notice my flex. So, I crossed over and guess what, they were aware of my rotation. That was the last time I or any partner in any game I've worked has had to cross over.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but before your JV game, you're the R and you get to call the shots in the pre-game.

If they want to rotate but aren't sure when - have them rotate whenever they have the slightest thought or, perhaps, even on every play. They may need to get used to the action of rotating before they can learn how and when to rotate correctly.

If they just want to stay camped out - enjoy the game from where you are and wait for a new set of partners next week.