The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I just would like to know if the Ref. and Ump. from your crew meet with each head coach in their respective locker rooms before the game or wait until you take the field during the pregame warm-ups to meet with the coach?
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

No. We're required to be on the field 30 minutes before kickoff. Normally the teams are already on the field. When we go out, we go to the home coach first, then we go to the visiting coach. If they want to flip. then we flip between the two meetings.

BTW, we take the entire crew to the meeting, not just the R and the U.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

In West Virginia we are required to arrive for a varsity game 1 hour and 30 minutes before the game. Our Ref and Umpire go to meet the coaches and the Lineman, Line Judge and Back Judge take a detailed walk around the field to see that all is fine and no holes that need repaired and that the clock is working properly. This gives us time to get anything fixed with out holding up the game start time of 7:30.
Old Wed Aug 29, 2001, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

We also get to the game site by 6:00 pm for our 7:30 kickoff. I read and heard of others who only send the R and the U to the meeting with the coaches. Why? Most of our coaches want to me the wing official because they want to know who will be on their side of the field. Also, we all get the captains names and numbers and hear about any trick plays at the same time. They don't have to be relayed to the other 3 of us later. As for checking the field, there's plenty of time to do that. There's plenty of time to meet with the chain crew, ball boys, and timer. That 30 minutes from 7:00 to 7:30 is enough time to do all of those things. I just really don't see any reason why everyone can't attend the meetings and still complete their required tasks. To each his own I guess.

Old Thu Aug 30, 2001, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
We also get to the game site by 6:00 pm for our 7:30 kickoff. I read and heard of others who only send the R and the U to the meeting with the coaches. Why? Most of our coaches want to me the wing official because they want to know who will be on their side of the field. Also, we all get the captains names and numbers and hear about any trick plays at the same time. They don't have to be relayed to the other 3 of us later. As for checking the field, there's plenty of time to do that. There's plenty of time to meet with the chain crew, ball boys, and timer. That 30 minutes from 7:00 to 7:30 is enough time to do all of those things. I just really don't see any reason why everyone can't attend the meetings and still complete their required tasks. To each his own I guess.
To answer your question as to why R and U only meet with the head coaches. By rule R with U as witness must ask if players are legally equipped. Often, it is difficult to get to the head coach when we are all together as he is busy getting ready for the game.

Also, here on Long Island for Saturday games many officials work morning games before afternoon games and arrive at the site as late as an hour before. And, when I was in California there were JV games before the varsity game.

Result is in order to get all the preliminaries in you divide the crew duties as much as possible.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2001, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

To answer your question as to why R and U only meet with the head coaches. By rule R with U as witness must ask if players are legally equipped. Often, it is difficult to get to the head coach when we are all together as he is busy getting ready for the game.
You don't have to bring the coach to the crew. You simply bring the whole crew to the coach when the coach is ready. The coach knows he must meet with the officials prior to the game. He can't ignore you forever. We simply go to both coaches during the first 10 minutes we're on the field.

Quote:
Also, here on Long Island for Saturday games many officials work morning games before afternoon games and arrive at the site as late as an hour before. And, when I was in California there were JV games before the varsity game.
If you have officials who aren't getting to a varsity game until 30 minutes before kickoff, you certainly have more serious concerns to address. When do they pre-game? What happens if one or two don't show and it's game time? Are they mentally prepared to work the game?

There can always be extentuating circumstances. We could discuss those all day. But if the crew arrives an hour and a half before game time, as required in NC and WV, I see no reason why the whole crew couldn't attend the conference. 30 minutes is more than enough time to take care of the few things that need to be addressed before a high school football game.

To each his own.

Old Thu Aug 30, 2001, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Talking Pregame Coaches Conference

On our crew, the R and U attend to duties with the head coaches while the L and HL do a field check. In our situation, there is always a underclass game prior to the varsity game. In most cases, there is only 20 minutes between games. We attempt to catch the chain crew from the underclass game prior to them heading to the concession stand (usually the same folks for the varsity game). In some cases, the Line Judge must hunt down a ball boy and the back judge goes to the timer to discuss their duties. That leaves on the R and U to discuss with coaches. We do make a point of informing the head coach who will be on their sideline, pointing to their name on the officials game card we present to them. Each officials card includes the officials name, the position they will be working, their home town and their state ID number. Also, we place the crew cheifs phone number on the bottom of the card. A copy of this goes to each coach and the timer (timer card does NOT include crew chief phone).

R and U discuss with coach the legality of player equipment, any players with special needs (casts, et al), identify who has the game ball for inspection, captains numbers, special plays, sportmanship, and where they are going at halftime. If home coach, discuss game activities (band, halftime, et al) and ask if visiting coach has been informed. We will cover this with the visiting coach as well to ensure they understand.

We get both coaches completed with balls inspected prior to the 10 minute mark, when the toss is completed (this year!).

When our wings go for the captains, they introduce themselves to the coaches, check to make sure the captains understand the coaches choices for the toss, and proceed with the captains to the 50.

Believe me, we are hustling all the time! And, feel blessed if the time between games is more than 20 minutes.

We generally are on the field with time remaining in the underclass (or prelim) game.
Old Fri Aug 31, 2001, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Re: Pregame Coaches Conference

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman55
In some cases, the Line Judge must hunt down a ball boy and the back judge goes to the timer to discuss their duties.
3 things:
1- I'm the LJ. I attend the pregame meeting and I ask the coach, "Who's your ball boy tonight coach?" I don't have to hunt him down.

2- If you just played a game on the field, why is it necessary to re-check the field?

3- We give a card to both coaches with basically the same information. But that's not the same as each member of the crew introducing themselves to each head coach.

It's a great thing if you can do it. Instead of making excuses as to why you can't do it, why not work towards giving it a try. You may like it.

Old Wed Sep 05, 2001, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to zebraman55
Re: Re: Pregame Coaches Conference

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
[It's a great thing if you can do it. Instead of making excuses as to why you can't do it, why not work towards giving it a try. You may like it.
Totally agree, BktBallRef. And, not making excuses, stating the reality of it. In the preliminary game, we rotate positions.........LJ in the prelim game is the referee in the varsity contest, i am the referee in the prelim game and the umpire in the varsity, et al. Therefore, the wings for the varsity game have not inspected their respective sidelines, spoken to the chain crew (which may or may not be the same). Probablt the only thing that is not repeated is the visit to the clock operator, unless that inndividual changes between games.

As a wing official on our college crew, I would rather NOT be a part of the coach conference, but rather take an opportunity afterward to introduce myself. I think this provides me an opportunity to meet with him one on one, build a rapport outside of the coaches conference.

zeb
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

Cool

There are several reasons to recheck the field even if a game has just finished.
1. Was there a band on the field marching between the games? if yes then you should check the field and look for broken drum sticks that may be sticking in a way in the grass that it may hurt a player or your self, a lier (item that holds the music) may be on the field and could be follow on.
2. You may find a sprinkler head that may have came up between games. Someones shoe catching it and bending it so it can not go back down.
3. Any sharp item that may have been throw onto the field by the previous fans that are leaving and between games.
It does not take long to take this walk and I have seen or one member of our crew has found something during one of our games during my years of doing the field inspection.
We have even found a coat hanger hook, probably from one of the band members leaving and gathering there items an walking to the bus and crossing the field and dropped it.
Old Fri Sep 07, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

You don't have to bring the coach to the crew. You simply bring the whole crew to the coach when the coach is ready. The coach knows he must meet with the officials prior to the game. He can't ignore you forever. We simply go to both coaches during the first 10 minutes we're on the field.

Quote:
If you have officials who aren't getting to a varsity game until 30 minutes before kickoff, you certainly have more serious concerns to address. When do they pre-game? What happens if one or two don't show and it's game time? Are they mentally prepared to work the game?

There can always be extentuating circumstances. We could discuss those all day. But if the crew arrives an hour and a half before game time, as required in NC and WV, I see no reason why the whole crew couldn't attend the conference. 30 minutes is more than enough time to take care of the few things that need to be addressed before a high school football game.

The NFHS Officials' Manual states 1 hour and 30 minutes and I would agree. But the cost to the schools places us in the position of working at JV game starting at 9am and driving sometimes up to an hour for at 1:30 varsity start.

I would love to arrive at the game site at noon without having to fight my way through Long Island traffic on Saturday.

BTW the start times were moved to 9 am from 9:30 following the change in the timing rule back in 1996.

To each his own.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2001, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Pregame Coaches Conference

Quote:

As a wing official on our college crew, I would rather NOT be a part of the coach conference, but rather take an opportunity afterward to introduce myself. I think this provides me an opportunity to meet with him one on one, build a rapport outside of the coaches conference.

zeb [/B]
1. I am glad that we do not have two H.S. level games in one day. My heart goes out to you guys who do. I have a hard enough time preparing for one game at that level, much less two.

2. I agree with zeb. When I work the sideline positions, I like to introduce myself to the coaches right before kickoff. And then try to build rapport thoughout the rest of the game. If you can get them on your side early, then when that tough one goes against them later, they may be more willing to listen to you.

3. Why do you rotate positions from the JV game to the Varsity game. I could see maybe switching HL and LJ, or maybe FJ and BJ. But from R to LJ, or BJ to HL. The duties are so vastly different, I can't see how you can be effective for that second game.

One man's opinion.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

We like to be onsite one hour prior to game time. We dress at home and shower on site after the game. We have never met with the coaches in the locker rooms prior to the game. We meet with them as soon as the enter the field, which is usually 30 mins before game. I have often thought that it would be less intrusive to meet with them in the locker rooms but logistics in our situation do not allow it.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Our Chapter in Texas (might vary from chapter to chapter)requires us to be at the stadium 2 hours before kickoff. R and U dress quickly and go to meet with coaches. Most of the time the coaches are in or near their office/locker room. If they have already gone to the field them, we meet with them on the field.
Old Tue Nov 20, 2001, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

coaches pregame meeting

western PA and PIAA require AAAA (largest schools) crews arrive 1:30 prior to game. R & U meet with coaches immediately in locker rooms and secure game info and check equipment & balls.

others meet coaches on sideline.

we do the same for A thru AAA games as well.