The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

A bufoon at the game

Every so often in the game of life, we go to the table to report the foul and we have to give them our own number. Today it's my turn. I am not officiating, just an educated fan. I have hung up my whistle as my daughter is playing middle school sports.

7th grade, Girls B-Team game. I get to the A-team game as early as I can and watch some of the B-Team game. The B-Team game was a close contest. at about the 4 minute mark in the 4th quarter, with the good guys on a break of sorts (as close as they come to it), about to take a close and open shot, the official stops play and points to the table who failed to start the clock. Most of the crowd had no idea why the official stopped play and were looking at each other looking for an answer. I stood-up and called out very loudly to the officials, "You stopped an open lay-up because the clock was not running?", in a very condescending tone. I am near the division line and the official is in the far corner. He easily heard me and gave me long glance. I sat, looked down, and shook my head at fthe officials, who had been sloppy and were'nt planning on moving up in the officiating ranks.

Now I start thinking to myself that there is not really a provision in the rules as to when to blow the play dead when the clock is not running, except that you should. I am still shaking my head but now at myself. I lean over and tell my 2nd grade son that I should not have yelled at the official like that and that I would apologize to him after the game, which I did.

The official was very nice about it. The officials called both games very fairly.

All in all it was not a big deal, but I knew I had violated the code.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:02am
MABO Member

Been there, Done that, Got the T-shirt! Sometimes you just can't help yourself. My wife says that its just verbal overflow when the dialogue gates don't close fast enough. You did the right thing afterwards.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
Every so often in the game of life, we go to the table to report the foul and we have to give them our own number. Today it's my turn. I am not officiating, just an educated fan. I have hung up my whistle as my daughter is playing middle school sports.

7th grade, Girls B-Team game. I get to the A-team game as early as I can and watch some of the B-Team game. The B-Team game was a close contest. at about the 4 minute mark in the 4th quarter, with the good guys on a break of sorts (as close as they come to it), about to take a close and open shot, the official stops play and points to the table who failed to start the clock. Most of the crowd had no idea why the official stopped play and were looking at each other looking for an answer. I stood-up and called out very loudly to the officials, "You stopped an open lay-up because the clock was not running?", in a very condescending tone. I am near the division line and the official is in the far corner. He easily heard me and gave me long glance. I sat, looked down, and shook my head at fthe officials, who had been sloppy and were'nt planning on moving up in the officiating ranks.

Now I start thinking to myself that there is not really a provision in the rules as to when to blow the play dead when the clock is not running, except that you should. I am still shaking my head but now at myself. I lean over and tell my 2nd grade son that I should not have yelled at the official like that and that I would apologize to him after the game, which I did.

The official was very nice about it. The officials called both games very fairly.

All in all it was not a big deal, but I knew I had violated the code.
It takes integrity to blow the whistle on yourself, kudos to you...but I agree with you I would not kill it in that case, I would have waited until the play was done, similar to an injury...I don't have any rules backing off the top of my head, but that is how I believe I would have handled it....DEFINITELY in a ms game...
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

More importantly however, you used your error in judgment to an advantage in a great teaching moment for your son. Telling him you made a mistake and were going to apologize for it, and then doing so made the experience actually one that turned out more positive for his becoming a good person than if it had not happened. You could talk to him about it if someone else had yelled, but having you do it, admit it, and apologize was much better for his learning and understanding how people should behave in our world. Good job in teaching your son!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

As a side note... in order not to penalize the team on the break, would the proper thing be to begin a count and blow the whistle after the shot goes in or missed shot is rebounded, then correct the clock with your definite knowledge?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
As others have said, Sam, good job being self-aware enough to see and admit your flaw. We've all done it, some of us are still doing it when no one is looking. Learn from it and move on. And don't wait too long to get back onto the floor. SOunds like your area needs you!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Although I personally have never made a mistake, I admire the way you took responsibility for yours. Good job on how you handled it.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Although I personally have never made a mistake, I admire the way you took responsibility for yours. Good job on how you handled it.
Now where did I put my hip boots & that dang shovel!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:14pm
Esteemed Participant

Been there, done that...have had to make a couple of apologies over the last two seasons as my sons are playing HS ball now. I have found that sitting near the door and being able to get up and walk out for a few minutes keeps me from embarrasing myself quite well. Although I did have a lady I did not know follow me out one time and ask me why I walked out after her husband made a call against the home team (it was a PC call on my son that, of course, I thought was wrong )...I just looked at her and said that I didn't like the call and rather than be tempted into saying anything, I just left to calm myself down. She told me that it "would hurt her husband's feelings" if he saw me leave...I just smiled and thanked her. Geesh...
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
Since I've never made a mistake, I don't have any to loan you.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Tim,
You'll need something taller than that, I was thinking of my chest waders!!
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
Tim,
Good point! And a Bobcat might be more useful than the shovel as well
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point! And a Bobcat might be more useful than the shovel as well
The middle school team in the OP, the good guys, are the Bobcats.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 04:05pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
It takes integrity to blow the whistle on yourself, kudos to you...but I agree with you I would not kill it in that case, I would have waited until the play was done, similar to an injury...I don't have any rules backing off the top of my head, but that is how I believe I would have handled it....DEFINITELY in a ms game...
I'd probably do it to the home team, but not the visitors. I would think the coach or AD or the timer would make sure they were correct from then on in the future.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle
Tim,
I was thinking SCUBA gear, maybe even a diving bell.