The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 05:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
First T of the New Year

Well, it works. Had a chirpy coach giving a play-by-play and told him to cut it out. Later in the half, while I am trying to report a foul, he is complaining that it was a "travel". I issued the T and we finished the half. All 1.7 seconds of it. The 2nd half went very well. The other coach who had a bad rep, was very good in the 2nd half. He was not out of order in the first half, so he didn't merit any reminders
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 08:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm hoping I'm not becoming "T Happy" for the new yr.

Last yr I issued three "T's" all yr. This yr I already gave two - both in the last five games. One to a JV coach who was chirping too much and the most recent earlier today.....

Highly contested B13/15 rec game. ~100 people in the gym. Team A, who was down by 15 in first quarter, is now up by 10 points with ~25 secs left. As we are coming out of Team B's time out, the star player of Team B who has had a good game so far, proceeds to take the floor, run to his basket, jump and grab the net with both hands, reach up and grab the rim and then do a chin up..... I whacked him.

B's coach couldn't believe it.....I guess he wouldn't mind it if everyone did it.

I certainly don't enjoy giving em. But if they earn em, I will oblige.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy It could be worse

Last Night I had a varsity boys game where two technical fouls were issued:
One for arguing and the second was for Hanging on the rim! Upon reading my morning paper I found a varsity boys game in my area where Five technical fouls were issued and one player ejected because he accounted for two of them!
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:56pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

It could be even worse

In 1985, our grade school was hosting a year-end tournament for 6th grade boys and girls. In the boy's tournament, a player ran right off the bench to sub in for a player and the head coach got whacked. The coach then argued about the original tech and racked up 4 more technicals before he was told to leave or risk forfeit.

With the rule changes that have occurred since then, I doubt I will ever see an individual get 5 technicals in a game again.

###

Aside:That was a weird year for the tournament in general. We had a coach on the girls side accuse my dad (who was the tournament scorekeeper for some of the games) of getting fouls wrong and she even wanted to protest the game. Since the AD suggested using different colors for each half after that game, that is what made me adopt the convention of different colors each period (something that has helped when coaches want to argue about timeouts taken or who fouled when).

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Jan 06, 2008, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
B's coach couldn't believe it.....I guess he wouldn't mind it if everyone did it.
G, what couldn't the coach believe, that you called a T or that the kid hung on the rim? It amazes me that whenever you have this situation the coach always looks at the official strange, like "how can you call this?" Why don't they ask the player "why are you doing that?" It's crazy. Had a V boy's game last year and A1 decided to dunk in pre-game. Coach B was watching the whole thing too. I went to the R and we assessed the T. A coach tells me "You can't call that, it's senior night". I would think he would be dealing with A1 for earning him a seat for the night.
Old Sun Jan 06, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

First T and then

a disqualification for Asst Girls Varsity Coach two days before Christmas. I have them in two weeks, so hopefully she will have learned her lesson and sits down and zips it.

We had an assoc. meeting today and it seems like there has been a consensus of TKOB... I am happy to oblige if warranted.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 05:42am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
It amazes me that whenever you have this situation the coach always looks at the official strange, like "how can you call this?" Why don't they ask the player "why are you doing that?" It's crazy.
That's exactly what happened here. I believe the coach was thinking - "I mean, c'mon ref, the game is decided here, you can't T up my boy!"

Apprently the player went up to the coach and said - "Yep, I did it." He just didn't expect to get whacked is all.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

First some attaboys for those posters who have stated that they had the courage to properly issue technical fouls.

We had a game here over the weekend in which seven Ts were called and two players were DQ'd. Unfortunately, there should have been 16. Nine team members from the two teams were allowed to leave the benches during an altercation without being penalized.

I give these officials credit for taking care of business in the early going with those Ts, but can't agree with looking the other way when the mess happened. The crew admitted that they observed the kids come onto the court. (They reached the near FT lane line.)
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Boys Freshman game last Saturday. Coach is chirping a little the first quarter but settled down.

Fast forward to mid 3rd quarter. He chirps about a PC foul we called on his team. His team is up by 15+. He chirps about the call again. Told him that was enough. Chirps again. Call a Technical. As we're administering the technical, I notice coach standing by scorer's table. I advise him he needs to be seated, having lost coaching box privilege. Making no move to be seated, he chirps again. Second T. He refuses to leave. I advise him I will forfeit the game if he doesn't leave the gym. Finally an assisstant coach talks some sense into him, gets him to leave, and we resume the game.

Oh, his parting shot was that I'll never work at that school again. I took the high road, and did not say "I'll save you the trouble and scratch your school."
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

never working here again...

Here in KY, coaches can only scratch varsity officials... I used to hear that phrase and just laugh in my mind when I worked JV ball. In fact, I got scratched by two boys teams and only worked 1 varsity contest last year on the boys side.... hmmmm.
Old Mon Jan 07, 2008, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Oh, his parting shot was that I'll never work at that school again.
My reply, "That's the first time you've been right all night".

Mregor

Last edited by Mregor; Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 10:45pm.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
Here in KY, coaches can only scratch varsity officials... I used to hear that phrase and just laugh in my mind when I worked JV ball. In fact, I got scratched by two boys teams and only worked 1 varsity contest last year on the boys side.... hmmmm.
So BOTH teams hated you that night.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
So BOTH teams hated you that night.
my boys rating went up to finally break top 40!