The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 01, 2008, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
We did that at the time. In looking back, I am wondering if there is a "better" way so that one team was not "penalized" for the timer's error.

Based on the way this game was going....I am confident there would have been another dead ball. Either the team that was behind would have made a basket (remember the "No foul" cry from the coach...he was willing to trade a basket for time off the clock) or if they missed and did not get the rebound, they would have fouled.
Again, mistakes happen, sometimes they place teams at a disadvantage. You don't complicate that error by making a second error: ignoring the timer's mistake and waiting until later to correct it. There's no way to KNOW there will be another dead ball. Kill the play and make the correction.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 01, 2008, 09:24pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The whistle was blown during a throw-in. It goes back to the original throw-in spot and team B can still run the endline.
I don't have my books with me at the moment. Can you tell me why these two things go together? I know that the POI definition says that the POI is a throw-in if the interruption occurs during a throw-in. But off the top of my head, I can't remember if it specifies that the throw-in is from the previous spot.

If it doesn't specify that, then why wouldn't the ball be put back in play at the spot closest to where it was when the interruption occurred?
Old Tue Jan 01, 2008, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
I heard his whistle just as the player picked up the ball. It was close...and I could not say for sure which came first. But for now...assume the touch came first. Does that change what you would do?

Why not let the play continue and at the next dead ball add the 5 seconds that you know came off the clock improperly?
Yes, it does. Now I put the five seconds back on the clock that should not have come off, but since I don't know the exact amount that should have elapsed following the touching, I can't remove anything for that. Thus the clock is set to 34 seconds for the new throw-in, which now comes from the closest OOB spot to the location of the ball. That's 4-36-2a and 4-4-3.

PS As BktBallRef has stated, timing errors happen and that's unfortunate, but it's also part of the game. Sometimes theses mistakes favor one team, sometimes the other, sometimes both teams are hurt, sometimes neither. As an official you don't care. You just apply the proper rules.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 01, 2008 at 10:45pm.
Old Tue Jan 01, 2008, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I don't have my books with me at the moment. Can you tell me why these two things go together? I know that the POI definition says that the POI is a throw-in if the interruption occurs during a throw-in. But off the top of my head, I can't remember if it specifies that the throw-in is from the previous spot.

If it doesn't specify that, then why wouldn't the ball be put back in play at the spot closest to where it was when the interruption occurred?
The inclusion of POI in the NFHS game is still a rather new thing. The NFHS has not issued any statement that makes it crystal clear that the POI throw-in comes from the previous spot when play is interrupted during a throw-in. The closest is new case play 5.10.1 Situation E parts a + b. (The team can still run the end line.) It's just a logical conclusion.

The NCAA, however, has explicitly stated that the throw-in returns to the original spot in such cases. If there is any doubt about the NFHS rule, the referee has the right to invoke that NCAA clarification per 2-3.