View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 01, 2008, 08:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef
When a similar play was discussed here three years ago, some argued that play should be resumed with a throw-in at the spot nearest where the ball was touched, with time restored. Others said there was no rule to support that action and we should have a "do over."
Nevadaref has previously explained, with proof, that the National Fedeation finally stated explicitly to not allow for "do-overs". They seemed rather adamant about this case, so one might be smart to listen to this; even if it seems that this is the right thing to do. However, I'm not certain that this situation falls inside the Fed's thinking in this case.

Quote:
When the ball gets almost to half court, and just as the player touches the ball, my partner blows his whistle because the timer has improperly started the clock. There are now 29 seconds on the clock.
If you know that A will now full-court press, you might rule (get together with your partner perhaps) and rule that the whistle came slightly after B touched the ball. Therefore, a throw-in from the sideline is awarded. As for time coming off the clock, maybe use 2-1 to take 0.3 seconds off.

Quote:
One other option: since the officials had definite knowledge that 5 seconds ran off the clock that should not have....using 5-10-1 and 5-10-2, could we let play continue and then at the next dead ball, put 5 seconds back on the clock?
I have used this mechanic in the past, and it worked. However, at end of the game situations, everyone is aware of the clock, and you'd be taking a lot of heat for trying this method. I even submit that if something goes haywire, that the whole situation could be blamed by using this mechanic.

Quote:
Related question: Should the whistle have sounded at all? The rule tells what to do to correct a timer's mistake, but I don't see where it says to whistle the ball dead because of a timer's mistake.
Yes, I believe it's best to fix the error immediately.