The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 14
Question How Was Your Very First Day As A Ref? Nervous? Excited? Both?

Just curious, how was your first day refereeing? What about the first time you moved up and refereed?

Did you make any calls that were, uhh, probably not the best and made you feel like a noob?

Also, throughout your times as a referee, does anything funny come to mind in your experiences?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 336
My 1st game, 7th grade girls, 2nd qtr, as trail tableside by visitors bench; coach asks for a TO, so I whistle and signal with my hands in a "T"--coach yells "What did I do?", so I told her "you wanted a TO" while thinking whats this coaches problem?..........
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 06:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
You can read about the first game I ever worked here:

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-b...s/basketball_1
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 07:49pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,643
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Freshman boys scrimmage. The senior, experienced refs decide they want to work 3-man. I was like a fish out of water and wasn't in the right position all night. I had no idea what my primary was, I followed the ball, hand and arm signals were awful, reported to the table, "I got....", etc. I was horrible. Only place I could go from there was up!

My first rec game I too kept "Ting" up the coach to grant him his time out.....my partner laughed at me!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:14pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,778
My first game was during the 1971-72 season and that was A.D., not B.C. I can't remember a thing about the game. LOL

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Ump. Assn.
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:55pm
M.A.S.H.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,024
First game was a 7/8th Jr High game. I was nervous as ship (yes, I know ). I was very lucky in that: had a great partner (my mentor), partner was a good friend of mine, and he was able to calm me down. I know I had about 3 million things running through my head that when I had a whistle I was blowing it twice (for some reason) - no worries, got that problem fixed after I calmed down.

The first game that I "moved up" was a Girls JV/V. I was working with two people that I knew. As you can probably tell, it was also my first 3-man game. Again, nervous as can be...trying to get adjusted to the new mechanics with three officials. First half of the JV game was called good, but just so nervous as where I was suppose to be. Once I got that sorted out in the locker room at halftime, the second half was smooth as can be as well as the varsity game. Again, my partners where able to calm me so that I didn't even think about the type of game and I was able to just go out there and call the game.

Looking back on both nights, I know just how lucky I was...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 10:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,444
Here's a photo of one of the coaches at my first game:

http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3952423967
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 12:54am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,123
My first game I worked a 5th and 6th grade double header. I was terrified, but I had a partner that spent about 2 hours before the game going over many basics of coverage area and mechanics. My partner was the guy that got me into officiating and I he asked me to work the game. I obviously loved it and I have been around ever since.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 06:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 728
Did you guys ride horses or carpool in a covered wagon?

I had some major nerves, but did okay. 4 JH games, felt like I hit a decent groove about halfway through the second game. Been learning (and hooked) ever since.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 153
Wink

My first game was a Freshman Boys' game in the Daytona Beach, FL area. The two schools arranged to play the game during school hours so they could fill the gymnasium with fans (90% students from both schools).

We have a good game until the final 3-seconds. Team A is losing by one point (do not remember the actual score, for our discussion the score was 39-38).

We have a rule-breaking situation right in front of my partner (I am lead, he is trail). He whistles a foul on Team B. Team A then calls a timeout. My partner and I huddle to make sure we are both on the same page about where the ball will be inbounded, and that we were given no indiciation of being in the bonus (the scoreboard in the gym did not keep track of team fouls).

I am administering the throw-in and glance at the table, then my partner, then the table again before placing the ball at the thrower's dispoal. Coach A is yelling something at my partner, but he does not halt me from administering the throw-in. I bounce the ball to A1 who will be inbounding the ball.

Conclusion: Team A misses the final shot. As we walk over to the table, the scorekeeper announces that the final foul should have been a bonus situation. We were never notified, but could have asked how many team fouls each team accumulated.

At this point, we are going to allow the kid to attempt the free throws he is entitled under the provisions of a correctable error situation. However, Team B has already vacated the gym and is on their bus ready to head back to their school. My partner goes to get Coach B to inform him about the situation.

Coach B comes back to the gym and refuses to bring his players off the bus. Among other things, he said "We already won the game, time expired, game is over. Nothing you guys can do," also, "My kids have to get back to school, we do not have time to horse around and shoot free throws." I think you get the idea of what this coach was demonstrating.

As my partner and I are addressing Coach A, Coach B slips outside to the bus. By the time we realize that Coach B is gone, I run outside to get him and the bus is pulling out of the parking lot.

Final Ruling: My partner calls our assigner who says, "Team B will forfeit the contest for refusing to play after being instructed to do so by either official. Team A wins the game. I will contact the administration at School B and let them know."

I have come a long ways since my first game, smoothly moving up the ranks and now working a few college games.

What would you have done?
__________________
Call what you see; See what you call.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgncjn
My first game was a Freshman Boys' game in the Daytona Beach, FL area. The two schools arranged to play the game during school hours so they could fill the gymnasium with fans (90% students from both schools).

We have a good game until the final 3-seconds. Team A is losing by one point (do not remember the actual score, for our discussion the score was 39-38).

We have a rule-breaking situation right in front of my partner (I am lead, he is trail). He whistles a foul on Team B. Team A then calls a timeout. My partner and I huddle to make sure we are both on the same page about where the ball will be inbounded, and that we were given no indiciation of being in the bonus (the scoreboard in the gym did not keep track of team fouls).


I am administering the throw-in and glance at the table, then my partner, then the table again before placing the ball at the thrower's dispoal. Coach A is yelling something at my partner, but he does not halt me from administering the throw-in. I bounce the ball to A1 who will be inbounding the ball.

Conclusion: Team A misses the final shot. As we walk over to the table, the scorekeeper announces that the final foul should have been a bonus situation. We were never notified, but could have asked how many team fouls each team accumulated.

At this point, we are going to allow the kid to attempt the free throws he is entitled under the provisions of a correctable error situation. However, Team B has already vacated the gym and is on their bus ready to head back to their school. My partner goes to get Coach B to inform him about the situation.

Coach B comes back to the gym and refuses to bring his players off the bus. Among other things, he said "We already won the game, time expired, game is over. Nothing you guys can do," also, "My kids have to get back to school, we do not have time to horse around and shoot free throws." I think you get the idea of what this coach was demonstrating.

As my partner and I are addressing Coach A, Coach B slips outside to the bus. By the time we realize that Coach B is gone, I run outside to get him and the bus is pulling out of the parking lot.

Final Ruling: My partner calls our assigner who says, "Team B will forfeit the contest for refusing to play after being instructed to do so by either official. Team A wins the game. I will contact the administration at School B and let them know."

I have come a long ways since my first game, smoothly moving up the ranks and now working a few college games.

What would you have done?
I think you handled perfectly under the (odd) circumstances..
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 11:50am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
What you're assigner did.

1. Shoot the free throws with no time on the clock.
2. If A misses both, B wins
3. If A makes one, overtime and B forfeits.
4. If A makes both, A wins.

On second thought, I'm not sure you can shoot the free throws without B on the court and their bench area.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 12:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Here's a photo of one of the coaches at my first game:

http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3952423967

Here's a photo of one of the coaches at my first game:

http://www.cavemanchess.com/_borders...TMRedclear.gif

His club played well. Nyork, nyork.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:29am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,661
I still get excited and nervous for each game.

My first game was a military intramural game Nov. 29th, 2001. Opening tap leads to a break-away lay-up and after the balls goes through the basket defender B1 slaps the backboard. I call a 'T' but my veteran partner steps in and "over rules" my call.

After the game a buddy of mine who was on his way to becoming a D1 official told me I had made the right call, so I felt good.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 11:31am
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
My first game was during the 1971-72 season and that was A.D., not B.C. I can't remember a thing about the game. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Same as you except mine was in the fall of 1987.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now I'm nervous cmckenna Basketball 28 Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:10am
Excited for tonight BBallfanatic Basketball 29 Wed Dec 07, 2005 06:29pm
Before Everyone Gets Excited . . . Tim C Baseball 4 Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:22am
Advantage/Disadvantage talk is making me nervous mplagrow Basketball 95 Thu Feb 19, 2004 05:37pm
Woo Hoo--I'm Excited! bard Basketball 4 Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:14am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1