The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Now I'm nervous

Well after working hard and waiting for 6 years I have my first varsity assignment on Decmber 22nd. The down side is that I have 4 weeks to get myself really nervous. I hope I don't puke on anyone's shoes....
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
Well after working hard and waiting for 6 years I have my first varsity assignment on Decmber 22nd. The down side is that I have 4 weeks to get myself really nervous. I hope I don't puke on anyone's shoes....
You could just puke now and get it over with...

One thing you'll find is the game itself isn't much different than the games you've been working. There will still be fouls to call, throw-ins to administer, free throws to watch, etc. The one difference is (usually) the play is better. If not, well then you've had experience calling those types of lower-level, sloppy games, right?

The most important thing is to enjoy it. I still remember my first game ever, my first HS varsity game, and my first college game. I was told to enjoy the moment, and it helped. Sure, things still happened, but at least I learned from them.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 11:38am
Official & Member

A little thought to keep in the back of your mind...as was relayed to me by a salty old veteran...chances are, YOU are the only person (OK, and maybe your partners) that knows that it's your first Varsity game. So try to relax, stay in the moment, and before you know it, you're in the locker room doing your post game. Enjoy!
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I worked my first varsity game last year and I was nervous as I drove to the game. However, once we got into our pregame, things began to settle down for me. When we went out on the floor, the first thing I noticed was the atmosphere was very different from the typical JV game (like having a full crowd, mascots and a band). That was cool. At the appropriate times, we met with the captains, and then the coaches. A student sang the national anthem and as I raised my right hand to my heart, I noticed something terribly wrong...I did NOT have my whistle! I informed my partners and as they introduced the players, I dashed back to the dressing room. I made it back in plenty of time, but I was a bit embarrassed.

Once the game got started, I did notice a lot more intensity (players, coaches and fans). After I made my first call, I settled down and the game went well (a 20 point blowout, with no problems). It was a lot of fun.

My only advice is to remember your whistle when you go out on the floor!
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToGreySt
I have my IAABO test tonight, closed book, need to get an 86% to pass.

I think I'll go throw up now

talk about nervousness

joe
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:34pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Don't forget to zip your fly before you go onto the court!
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Tanner,

Only you would come up with that one! It is the same game you have been calling your whole life. The players are just bigger, stronger and faster. Do not be alarmed if at the start of the game it is a blur. You will pick up the speed real quick. Just remember to find the piviot foot and it will help you. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenref1
Tanner,

Only you would come up with that one!
Well, it's by far the most important advice he can get before his game. Look at it this way, would you rather me tell him or 30 student fans in the cheering section. Oh, the method they would be using is: "Zip your fly (clap clap clap-clap clap)." For the record, I have seen this done before, but I wasn't on the floor, I was watching -- talk about funny!

Speaking of which... M&M offered me a game at Arcola this year. I later found out you were on it so I backed out! Just kidding, no I already had a game scheduled. Big bummer, I was hoping to get to see you guys this year. Hopefully something will work out later on in the year.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:49pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I won't tell you not to be nervous, because I'm sure you will be. Just remember that you're there for a reason. You've been doing things the right way, so keep doing those same things that got you there. Have a good pregame, take a lot of deep breaths and then do the things that you know have served you well. (And if that includes puking, so be it! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M
The most important thing is to enjoy it. I still remember my first game ever, my first HS varsity game, and my first college game. I was told to enjoy the moment, and it helped.
I hear people say this a lot -- "enjoy it". But honestly, I didn't enjoy it. I was so focused on the game and what I was supposed to do and where I was supposed to be (and I was so nervous) that I didn't really enjoy it at all.

I remember my first HS and college varsity games also. I didn't enjoy either of them. After the fact, I could say "Wow, that was cool. I feel like I did a good job. What a great experience." But I was not having fun in the middle of it. I just wanted to share another perspective.

I think the most important thing is to do a good job; which means doing what you've been doing all along to get to this point. You're going to do a great job, so try to relax. And let us know how it goes!
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well congratulations on your assignment. Just have a lot of fun. At least you have about a month to get yourself someone mentally ready. The problem is that even with all that preparation you might feel like you are not ready. It is a natural feeling to be nervous and I am sure the people you are working with will have some idea that you are new.

Everyone has to pop their cherry sometime.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
This actually did happen to me in my first HS game.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
cmckenna, take a breath and look back at how hard you prepared to get to this moment. If you kept a journal, you should take a look at past notes. Do not change your approach towards the game. The major changes are the strength, speed and quickness of the players. The atmosphere is great!!
Have fun, it will go smoothly.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 02:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
This actually did happen to me in my first HS game.
How did you find out? Fans, partner(s), table?
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenref1
Tanner, Only you would come up with that one!
My guess is he speaks from experience!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
My guess is he speaks from experience!!
Considering all the gear he brings, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "zipper alarm" in there somewhere now.

(Used with permission.)