The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How Was Your Very First Day As A Ref? Nervous? Excited? Both? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40658-how-your-very-first-day-ref-nervous-excited-both.html)

DrFeelGood Fri Dec 28, 2007 05:52pm

How Was Your Very First Day As A Ref? Nervous? Excited? Both?

Just curious, how was your first day refereeing? What about the first time you moved up and refereed?

Did you make any calls that were, uhh, probably not the best and made you feel like a noob?

Also, throughout your times as a referee, does anything funny come to mind in your experiences?

archangel Fri Dec 28, 2007 06:07pm

My 1st game, 7th grade girls, 2nd qtr, as trail tableside by visitors bench; coach asks for a TO, so I whistle and signal with my hands in a "T"--coach yells "What did I do?", so I told her "you wanted a TO" while thinking whats this coaches problem?..........

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 28, 2007 06:39pm

You can read about the first game I ever worked here:

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/cgi-b...s/basketball_1

grunewar Fri Dec 28, 2007 07:49pm

Freshman boys scrimmage. The senior, experienced refs decide they want to work 3-man. I was like a fish out of water and wasn't in the right position all night. I had no idea what my primary was, I followed the ball, hand and arm signals were awful, reported to the table, "I got....", etc. I was horrible. Only place I could go from there was up!

My first rec game I too kept "Ting" up the coach to grant him his time out.....my partner laughed at me! :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:14pm

My first game was during the 1971-72 season and that was A.D., not B.C. :D I can't remember a thing about the game. LOL

MTD, Sr.

tjones1 Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:55pm

First game was a 7/8th Jr High game. I was nervous as ship (yes, I know ;)). I was very lucky in that: had a great partner (my mentor), partner was a good friend of mine, and he was able to calm me down. I know I had about 3 million things running through my head that when I had a whistle I was blowing it twice (for some reason) - no worries, got that problem fixed after I calmed down.

The first game that I "moved up" was a Girls JV/V. I was working with two people that I knew. As you can probably tell, it was also my first 3-man game. Again, nervous as can be...trying to get adjusted to the new mechanics with three officials. First half of the JV game was called good, but just so nervous as where I was suppose to be. Once I got that sorted out in the locker room at halftime, the second half was smooth as can be as well as the varsity game. Again, my partners where able to calm me so that I didn't even think about the type of game and I was able to just go out there and call the game.

Looking back on both nights, I know just how lucky I was...

BillyMac Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:56pm

Here's a photo of one of the coaches at my first game:

http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3952423967

JRutledge Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:54am

My first game I worked a 5th and 6th grade double header. I was terrified, but I had a partner that spent about 2 hours before the game going over many basics of coverage area and mechanics. My partner was the guy that got me into officiating and I he asked me to work the game. I obviously loved it and I have been around ever since.

Peace

DonInKansas Sat Dec 29, 2007 06:05am

Did you guys ride horses or carpool in a covered wagon?:p

I had some major nerves, but did okay. 4 JH games, felt like I hit a decent groove about halfway through the second game. Been learning (and hooked) ever since.

rgncjn Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:29am

My first game was a Freshman Boys' game in the Daytona Beach, FL area. The two schools arranged to play the game during school hours so they could fill the gymnasium with fans (90% students from both schools).

We have a good game until the final 3-seconds. Team A is losing by one point (do not remember the actual score, for our discussion the score was 39-38).

We have a rule-breaking situation right in front of my partner (I am lead, he is trail). He whistles a foul on Team B. Team A then calls a timeout. My partner and I huddle to make sure we are both on the same page about where the ball will be inbounded, and that we were given no indiciation of being in the bonus (the scoreboard in the gym did not keep track of team fouls).

I am administering the throw-in and glance at the table, then my partner, then the table again before placing the ball at the thrower's dispoal. Coach A is yelling something at my partner, but he does not halt me from administering the throw-in. I bounce the ball to A1 who will be inbounding the ball.

Conclusion: Team A misses the final shot. As we walk over to the table, the scorekeeper announces that the final foul should have been a bonus situation. We were never notified, but could have asked how many team fouls each team accumulated.

At this point, we are going to allow the kid to attempt the free throws he is entitled under the provisions of a correctable error situation. However, Team B has already vacated the gym and is on their bus ready to head back to their school. My partner goes to get Coach B to inform him about the situation.

Coach B comes back to the gym and refuses to bring his players off the bus. Among other things, he said "We already won the game, time expired, game is over. Nothing you guys can do," also, "My kids have to get back to school, we do not have time to horse around and shoot free throws." I think you get the idea of what this coach was demonstrating.

As my partner and I are addressing Coach A, Coach B slips outside to the bus. By the time we realize that Coach B is gone, I run outside to get him and the bus is pulling out of the parking lot.

Final Ruling: My partner calls our assigner who says, "Team B will forfeit the contest for refusing to play after being instructed to do so by either official. Team A wins the game. I will contact the administration at School B and let them know."

I have come a long ways since my first game, smoothly moving up the ranks and now working a few college games.

What would you have done?

kbilla Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgncjn
My first game was a Freshman Boys' game in the Daytona Beach, FL area. The two schools arranged to play the game during school hours so they could fill the gymnasium with fans (90% students from both schools).

We have a good game until the final 3-seconds. Team A is losing by one point (do not remember the actual score, for our discussion the score was 39-38).

We have a rule-breaking situation right in front of my partner (I am lead, he is trail). He whistles a foul on Team B. Team A then calls a timeout. My partner and I huddle to make sure we are both on the same page about where the ball will be inbounded, and that we were given no indiciation of being in the bonus (the scoreboard in the gym did not keep track of team fouls).

I am administering the throw-in and glance at the table, then my partner, then the table again before placing the ball at the thrower's dispoal. Coach A is yelling something at my partner, but he does not halt me from administering the throw-in. I bounce the ball to A1 who will be inbounding the ball.

Conclusion: Team A misses the final shot. As we walk over to the table, the scorekeeper announces that the final foul should have been a bonus situation. We were never notified, but could have asked how many team fouls each team accumulated.

At this point, we are going to allow the kid to attempt the free throws he is entitled under the provisions of a correctable error situation. However, Team B has already vacated the gym and is on their bus ready to head back to their school. My partner goes to get Coach B to inform him about the situation.

Coach B comes back to the gym and refuses to bring his players off the bus. Among other things, he said "We already won the game, time expired, game is over. Nothing you guys can do," also, "My kids have to get back to school, we do not have time to horse around and shoot free throws." I think you get the idea of what this coach was demonstrating.

As my partner and I are addressing Coach A, Coach B slips outside to the bus. By the time we realize that Coach B is gone, I run outside to get him and the bus is pulling out of the parking lot.

Final Ruling: My partner calls our assigner who says, "Team B will forfeit the contest for refusing to play after being instructed to do so by either official. Team A wins the game. I will contact the administration at School B and let them know."

I have come a long ways since my first game, smoothly moving up the ranks and now working a few college games.

What would you have done?

I think you handled perfectly under the (odd) circumstances..

Adam Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:50am

What you're assigner did.

1. Shoot the free throws with no time on the clock.
2. If A misses both, B wins
3. If A makes one, overtime and B forfeits.
4. If A makes both, A wins.

On second thought, I'm not sure you can shoot the free throws without B on the court and their bench area.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac

http://re3.mm-a7.yimg.com/image/3952423967

http://www.cavemanchess.com/_borders...TMRedclear.gif

His club played well. Nyork, nyork. ;)

Raymond Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:29am

I still get excited and nervous for each game.

My first game was a military intramural game Nov. 29th, 2001. Opening tap leads to a break-away lay-up and after the balls goes through the basket defender B1 slaps the backboard. I call a 'T' but my veteran partner steps in and "over rules" my call.

After the game a buddy of mine who was on his way to becoming a D1 official told me I had made the right call, so I felt good. :)

Rich Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
My first game was during the 1971-72 season and that was A.D., not B.C. :D I can't remember a thing about the game. LOL

MTD, Sr.

Same as you except mine was in the fall of 1987.