The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Spot Violation ?

Player A inbounding ball. He releases the ball but his teammate took off so Player A runs onto court and grabs the ball. I whistle and signal spot violation. Happened twice to same 2 players. Ref following me said it's an illegal dribble.

What say you ?
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Say other ref is wrong....

Neither the dribble nor traveling rule operates during the jump ball, throw-in or free throw. (Basketball rules fundamentals)
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Seems Rule 9-2-6 agrees with you.

In fear of being labeled a "cut and paster", it says that the thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 12:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

In reading your post, I don't think you're asking if it's a violation or not - you know it is, but you're not sure how to call it.

When this happens, I just call it an "inbound violation" and let it go at that. Never had anyone question it.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
In reading your post, I don't think you're asking if it's a violation or not - you know it is, but you're not sure how to call it.

When this happens, I just call it an "inbound violation" and let it go at that. Never had anyone question it.
Yea I know it's a violation. just double-checking that it is in fact NOT an illegal dribble thingie.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, not a travel but a throwin violation.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
Yea I know it's a violation. just double-checking that it is in fact NOT an illegal dribble thingie.
you were right. The other ref didn't know what he was talking about; but at least he knew it was a violation.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic
Seems Rule 9-2-6 agrees with you.

In fear of being labeled a "cut and paster", it says that the thrown ball shall not touch the thrower in the court before it touches or is touched by another player.
This is correct. The NFHS also issued an interp on the play a couple of years ago. You can show that other official this.

2004-05 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 7: Team A scores a field goal. B1 picks up the ball and steps out of bounds at the end line to prepare for a throw-in. B1 attempts an entry pass that goes near the division line, but no opponent or teammate is nearby to secure the ball. B1 enters the court and becomes the first player to touch the ball. RULING: B1 has committed a throw-in violation. Team A will be awarded a throw-in at a designated spot on the end line, which was the original throw-in location. (9-2-6 Penalty)