The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules state that an opponent of the free thrower must occupy the spot adjacent the baseline, and that no teammate of the shooter may occupy that spot.

God forbid you allow players to line up incorrectly, but if so, do you in fact have a 'double violation' in this instance?

I believe you would have a double violation. Looking for reassurance.

How about NFHS?

Thanks
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm . . . I believe you are right, technically--it IS a double violation. At the same time, since it's the ref's job to make sure they ARE lined up correctly, and since the shooter is entitled to the shot, do we really want to take a shot away from him because I screwed up? If the intent is to be sure the correct team has the rebounding advantage, would it be acceptable to "quietly" rearrange the players if there is a second shot and go on without penalty? Then the shooter gets his entitled shot, the rebounder gets his advantageous position, and everyone (?) is happy. Of course, if there is NO "next" shot, then we should probably call the double violation and go with the possession arrow. Wish I had my rule book at hand to check that one, but that's my intuition anyway.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to know the correct answer to this also. We talked about this same situation in one of our meetings but never got a clear answer. Some of the same debates as above were mentioned. As to the reasoning of "taking away a deserved" free throw because of our mess up it is also the players responsability to know at least some of the rules such as lining up correctly isn't it?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

From NASO "Ask Us", 6 December 1999:

(the play is the same as presented here)

After the officials' red faces fade away for allowing the teams to line up improperly, the free throw is cancelled and team A is awarded the ball via the AP because there was a double free throw violation [one free throw was awarded in this particular case; the AP arrow favored A].

Since team B's coach will probably demand an explanation, he [sexist pigs! ] must be advised that team B violated first by not occupying the endline spaces, and team A violated last because they are not allowed to occupy the first lane space under any circumstance. One other little thing: It better be detected before the free throw ends or it'll be too late to call the violations.

Fortunately double free throw violations do not occur frequently and it's prudent to remember that the defense must violate forst and the offense next or there can't be a double violation. Ifteam A violates first, the party is over as the ball is dead and the free throw is over.

Federation and NCAA rules agree. (Fed 9-1-2, Penalty 3;NCAA 9-1-C, 9-2-c)