The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Gee whiz people ... the first one was certainly a typo and my mistake ... Could not believe how some of you responded to it.

The second - ending in a preposition = informal.

sorry coach!
Old Tue Dec 25, 2007, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
as for Nevadaref's situation - will have to wait for him to clarify. I would like to know what he meant or what sort of play he was speaking of.
Let's assume that the player was legally OOB. He just completed a throw-in or made a save and his momentum carried him past the boundary line.

The point that I was trying to make to you was nicely expressed by Scrapper1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Johnny, your scenarios are irrelevant. Nevadaref's point is simply that if A1 was standing out of bounds, then jumped and caught a pass before landing inbounds, you would call an out of bounds violation.

This is exactly the same rationale as the backcourt situation. If the player is standing in the frontcourt, jumps and catches a pass from the backcourt before landing in the backcourt, you would call a backcourt violation.
Of course, I will add that on the backcourt violation one has to wait until the player lands in the backcourt, but for the OOB violation the call can be made immediately after the touching of the ball.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

My bad ... I completely see where Nevadaref was coming from. I was reading into it way too much. Laughing about it now. Completely understand ... you are where you were
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 08:33am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
My bad ... I completely see where Nevadaref was coming from. I was reading into it way too much. Laughing about it now. Completely understand ... you are where you were
If this is how this thread will end (), let me in Nevadaref style, note that the past 30 hours could have been summarized by post #2, made 2 minutes after the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
"You are where you were until you get where you're going" I think is a phrase that applies here.
Old Wed Dec 26, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course I made a typo ... I never said I did not. And the funny part about it is I am a sports writer, but I guess that is why I have editors.

I wrote: "Does it depend on all you got OOB in the first place?"
Given the OP (the player has part of his/her body in the FC and part in the BC), I initially read your post as asking whether it mattered "which parts" or "how much" of the body was OOB. Of course, that doesn't matter, either.