The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Happened a few weeks ago. Championship game of a tournament, score is close throughout the whole game. Intense game, but well played, very few fouls committed by either team. With 7 seconds left, team A down by 1, A1 pulls up at the freethrow line for a potential game winning jumper. B1 slides over but is too late to make a defensive play, so he punches A1 in the stomach. Newbie official calls a foul, but veteran ref comes over to over rule his call: "listen, it's a close game, we gotta let them play. We haven't called this all game, so we can't call it now with 7 seconds left. We gotta let the players decide the outcome of the game." They go with an Inadvertant Whistle, team A retains possession of the ball. A2 is trying to inbound the ball on the sideline and steps over the line. Newbie official calls a violation, but again, veteran ref over rules the call: "listen, it's a close game, we gotta let them play. We haven't called this all game, so we can't call it now with 5 seconds left. We gotta let the players decide the outcome of the game." Inadvertant Whistle, team A possession. Inbound pass, A3 is fouled and is on the line for a one and one. He misses the first freethrow, but knowing the shot will be short, he sprints across the FT line before the ball contacts the rim and gets his own rebound, scores as the buzzer goes off. Team B coach is screaming about the FT violation, veteran ref tells coach: "listen, it's a close game, we gotta let them play. We haven't called this all game, so we can't call it now with 2 seconds left. We gotta let the players decide the outcome of the game."

True story...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

more like a horror story!
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Koach
Happened a few weeks ago. Championship game of a tournament, score is close throughout the whole game. Intense game, but well played, very few fouls committed by either team. With 7 seconds left, team A down by 1, A1 pulls up at the freethrow line for a potential game winning jumper. B1 slides over but is too late to make a defensive play, so he punches A1 in the stomach. Newbie official calls a foul, but veteran ref comes over to over rule his call: "listen, it's a close game, we gotta let them play. We haven't called this all game, so we can't call it now with 7 seconds left. We gotta let the players decide the outcome of the game." They go with an Inadvertant Whistle, team A retains possession of the ball. A2 is trying to inbound the ball on the sideline and steps over the line. Newbie official calls a violation, but again, veteran ref over rules the call: "listen, it's a close game, we gotta let them play. We haven't called this all game, so we can't call it now with 5 seconds left. We gotta let the players decide the outcome of the game." Inadvertant Whistle, team A possession. Inbound pass, A3 is fouled and is on the line for a one and one. He misses the first freethrow, but knowing the shot will be short, he sprints across the FT line before the ball contacts the rim and gets his own rebound, scores as the buzzer goes off. Team B coach is screaming about the FT violation, veteran ref tells coach: "listen, it's a close game, we gotta let them play. We haven't called this all game, so we can't call it now with 2 seconds left. We gotta let the players decide the outcome of the game."

True story...
Wow unreal...goes to show it's not the number of games that you have worked that makes you a good official..that is brutal - what level is this?
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Wow unreal...goes to show it's not the number of games that you have worked that makes you a good official..that is brutal - what level is this?
This can't possibly be true. He's gotta be trying to make a point.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
This can't possibly be true. He's gotta be trying to make a point.
I would hope not, but you never know...I know several "veteran" officials who haven't worked above 8th grade in 20 years, I could see a few of them doing this...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

True story...
Does this guy work for streets and sanitation in Chicago? Sounds like he's just grabbing a paycheck and going throught the motions. Sad
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
so he punches A1 in the stomach. Newbie official calls a foul, but veteran ref comes over to over rule his call: "listen, it's a close game, we gotta let them play. We haven't called this all game, so we can't call it now with 7 seconds left.

True story...
Koach has a habit of spinning wildly far-fetched tales, ending with "True story" in order to make a point. I fell for it last time.

http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...0&postcount=42

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 14 more times in the same day, well, that's probably normal, too, actually.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Koach has a habit of spinning wildly far-fetched tales, ending with "True story" in order to make a point. I fell for it last time.

http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...0&postcount=42

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 14 more times in the same day, well, that's probably normal, too, actually.
Ahh ok, I have been duly warned..thanks Scraps..
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
I would hope not, but you never know...I know several "veteran" officials who haven't worked above 8th grade in 20 years, I could see a few of them doing this...
Did a two game set last night, 7th and 8th grade girls and partner, although a good guy, is the laziest ref I know. Refuses to switch or move to other side of court. I made him move a few times by keeping my head down as I ran cross court to inbound on opposite end of baseline to become the new trail and never gave him a peek.

Would tweet whistle with no signals other than a cursory wave of direction, if I was lucky, on out of bounds plays.

Makes for a long evening if partners aren't into it.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, IMHO, "I let them play at the end of the game" is a euphemism for "I'm afraid to make a controversial call, even if I'm right."
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Did a two game set last night, 7th and 8th grade girls and partner, although a good guy, is the laziest ref I know. Refuses to switch or move to other side of court. I made him move a few times by keeping my head down as I ran cross court to inbound on opposite end of baseline to become the new trail and never gave him a peek.

Would tweet whistle with no signals other than a cursory wave of direction, if I was lucky, on out of bounds plays.

Makes for a long evening if partners aren't into it.
I generally force the switch, most of "them" will go with it.