The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

End of game "let them play"

At the end of a game a commonly heard philosophy is to "let the guys play". Just wondering if you guys change the way you call the game at the end...esp a close good game?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO77
At the end of a game a commonly heard philosophy is to "let the guys play". Just wondering if you guys change the way you call the game at the end...esp a close good game?
I"m not a guy, and I'm on leave of absence this year, but I'm glad to answer your question. I don't. Sometimes, in a blow-out, at a lower level of play, I'll sort of "redefine" some of the violations a tiny bit, and I"ll lean a little more heavily on A/D for fouls. But these are very minor adjustments, and I certainly don't let anything obvious go. especially a close good game.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Generally, I officiate the 1st quarter the same as the 4th.

I only change things up a bit for odd situations such:
  • one team hasn't scored yet
  • I need to change the point spread so that my bet on the game wins
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Part Of Pregame Conference

Last Two Minutes
Near the end of the game, be aware of coaches calling time-outs and be sure to inform them after they have used
all their time outs. We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s
so blatant that it can’t be ignored. We don’t want our first illegal screen to be called with 30 seconds left in
the game; but if the illegal screen puts a player into the first row of the bleachers, then we have to call it.
Let’s not put the whistles away in the last two minutes: That wouldn’t be consistent with the way we’ve been
calling the game. If the game dictates it, let the players win or lose the game at the line. We don’t want to be
the ones who decide the game by ignoring obvious fouls just to get the game over.
End of game strategic fouls: If the winning team is just holding the ball and is willing to take the free throws,
then let’s call the foul immediately, so the ballhandler doesn’t get hit harder to draw a whistle. Let’s make
sure there is a play on the ball by the defense. If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey
from behind, or if the ballhandler receives a bear hug, we should consider an intentional foul. These are not
basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Generally, I officiate the 1st quarter the same as the 4th.

I only change things up a bit for odd situations such:
  • one team hasn't scored yet
  • I need to change the point spread so that my bet on the game wins
Not funny.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB077

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I"m not a guy, and I'm on leave of absence this year, but I'm glad to answer your question. I don't. Sometimes, in a blow-out, at a lower level of play, I'll sort of "redefine" some of the violations a tiny bit, and I"ll lean a little more heavily on A/D for fouls. But these are very minor adjustments, and I certainly don't let anything obvious go. especially a close good game.

You don't change the way you call, but you do those things differently?

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref
You don't change the way you call, but you do those things differently?
I do adjust the way I call, but not very much change and not very often.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 10:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Last Two Minutes
We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s so blatant that it can’t be ignored.
So the only time you call something that's blatant is in the last two minutes? Huh?
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
So the only time you call something that's blatant is in the last two minutes? Huh?
... unless he called it earlier in the game? like he said? in his post?? hello??
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABO77
A close game, no way. We're working hard to make sure we're consistent with what we've called all game and trying hard not to miss anything.

In a blowout game that just needs to end, especially the last two minutes...as long as the game stays under control, I'm gonna swallow my whistle some. I'm not going to "let 'em play," which is usually code for letting them beat the hell out of each other. But I'm going to limit "game interrupters" to only what absolutely must be called.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a newer guy work with me last weekend, and on the ride hime he mentioned a previous game where his partner called a late foul he disagreed with. He then proceeded to mention his end-of-game-let-them-play theory. Our other partner and I quickly shot that down. My thought, which I've probably plagiarized from here:
If you let a foul go that you've been calling all game, just because you don't want to decide the game as an official, you've decided the game with your inaction.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We’re not calling anything in the last two minutes if we haven’t already called it earlier in the game, unless it’s
so blatant that it can’t be ignored.
We look at it the other way and try to be consistent so what's a foul in the 1st Qtr is a foul in the 4th Qtr. If there is enough contact that we blow a whistle in the early part of a game - that same contact should bring a whistle with 1 minute remaining. I believe that if you don't call a game this way you are inviting trouble. Play becomes rough and thats when officials think they suddenly have to "clamp down". If they would call the game consistently - the players would adjust.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 09:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
We're always going to make a call on a blatant foul. But there are some calls that we're NOT going to make in the last two minutes -- unless they're blatant.

Better?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
We're always going to make a call on a blatant foul. But there are some calls that we're NOT going to make in the last two minutes -- unless they're blatant.

Better?
I do not believe you officiate that way.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:18am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
I do not believe you officiate that way.
I absolutely do. You think the first 3-seconds call of the night is going to be in the last 45 seconds of a 4 point game? No way -- unless it's blatant. He's been in there for 5 seconds and ignored a couple warnings and then gets the pass.

You think I'm calling the first illegal screen of the game in the last 2 minutes? No way. We've clearly let the borderline screens go all game. I'm going to call one now? Uh-uh. If there's a blatant illegal screen that bumps a guy 5 feet off the court to free up the shooter, then I'm grabbing that one.