The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

RPP and AP

Team A has the arrow to start the 3rd quarter. They are late breaking the huddle and the administering official invokes the RPP, sets the ball down, and begins his count. The count reaches 5 before team A throws the ball in. Does team A keep the arrow?

P earlier this week says yes, they keep the arrow, and cites the pre-season online training from the state.

I say no, that the throw-in team violated by not throwing the ball in before the 5 count expired, thus ending their AP throw-in and the arrow should be switched.

(NFHS 6-4-4) The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or when the throw-in team violates.

I've had a quick look through the online training, but I'm not finding anything about this situation.

Am I missing something? Again.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Team A has the arrow to start the 3rd quarter. They are late breaking the huddle and the administering official invokes the RPP, sets the ball down, and begins his count. The count reaches 5 before team A throws the ball in. Does team A keep the arrow?

P earlier this week says yes, they keep the arrow, and cites the pre-season online training from the state.

I say no, that the throw-in team violated by not throwing the ball in before the 5 count expired, thus ending their AP throw-in and the arrow should be switched.

(NFHS 6-4-4) The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating-possession throw-in ends. An alternating-possession throw-in ends when the throw-in ends or when the throw-in team violates.

I've had a quick look through the online training, but I'm not finding anything about this situation.

Am I missing something? Again.
Agree with you, team A violated they lose the arrow.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 03:46pm
Never Stop Learning

You hit the nail on the head. They had their chance and violated. They lose the ball and the arrow. 6-4-4
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ray

You are right...

The rule only changed the touch to legal touch requirement...nothing from UHSAA talked about this other that change...

I had that very situation last Friday. We had a tie-up, on the throw-in the ball was kicked. I got with my partner and we talked to make sure what happened. I reported this to the table, and the coach of the defensive team wanted an explanation, after running thru it twice, I gave up on it...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green
Ray

You are right...

The rule only changed the touch to legal touch requirement...nothing from UHSAA talked about this other that change...

I had that very situation last Friday. We had a tie-up, on the throw-in the ball was kicked. I got with my partner and we talked to make sure what happened. I reported this to the table, and the coach of the defensive team wanted an explanation, after running thru it twice, I gave up on it...
Thanks. I thought that had to be correct. The case Rob gave with this slide covered a kick on the throw-in. But I wanted to make sure I was still sane before I spent half an hour reviewing the entire presentation looking for this phantom reference.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

LOSS OF ARROW
6.4.5 SITUATION A: Team A is awarded the ball for a throw-in under the alternating procedure. A1 commits a violation. RULING: B's ball for a throw-in because of the violation. In addition, the possession arrow is reversed and is pointed towards B's basket. Team B will have the next throw-in opportunity under the alternating procedure. Team A has lost its opportunity by virtue of the violation. A violation by Team A during an alternating-possession throw-in is the only way a team loses its turn under the procedure.