The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Official's Facial Hair

Seeing Padgett's picture (if that is really him) brought this question to my mind. Do your official's associations have regulations concerning facial hair (women excluded )?

Around here, if you have facial hair, as in this picture, you don't get any varsity games. Just curious what your experiences are.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

No official rule that I know of.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCord

Seeing Padgett's picture (if that is really him) brought this question to my mind. Do your official's associations have regulations concerning facial hair (women excluded )?

Around here, if you have facial hair, as in this picture, you don't get any varsity games. Just curious what your experiences are.
In the association that I work in, it was put to the first-year officials this way. When you come to work a game, you are expected to look like a basketball official. That means obvious things like striped shirt, black pants, black shoes, etc. But it also means things like looking well kept. No bed head, no wrinkled clothes, and, generally no facial hair. If you show up to a game with a wrinkled pair of pants, you will not be kicked off it. It will in no way affect your ability to call the game. But it is something that will be noticed, maybe not by any players or coaches, but by an evaluator. It's just kind of an unspoken rule of the trade.

On a personal note, I have a beard every day of the year, except for basketball season. No one has ever told me during preseason meetings to shave, but I just always do. It may not help me get any varsity games, but it sure can't hurt.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
On a personal note, I have a beard every day of the year, except for basketball season. No one has ever told me during preseason meetings to shave, but I just always do. It may not help me get any varsity games, but it sure can't hurt.
Do you officiate any other sports?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Facial hair is like wearing glasses. It is a unwritten rule in our HS Association, you have either and you probably will only work sub-varsity games. In my College conferences, facial hair is definintely a no-no. Don't know about glasses, but I have yet to see any college official with glasses.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is no hard and fast rule about facial hair, but there might be some personal preferences of a particular assignor. And for the record I see a lot of officials have facial hair work basketball. If you are African-American, facial hair is very common and accepted. I think this is a hang up of white people for some reason.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When more women start officiating past menopause, they might include them as well.

Rita
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:23pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There is no hard and fast rule about facial hair, but there might be some personal preferences of a particular assignor. And for the record I see a lot of officials have facial hair work basketball. If you are African-American, facial hair is very common and accepted. I think this is a hang up of white people for some reason.

Peace
I think Rut is talking about mustaches in particular. If so, this is also an unwritten rule concerning officers in the Military. It isn't a bad thing for an African American to have a mustache, but sort of frowned upon for others. I don't know why this is; it seems kind of stupid to me.

As far as beards and officiating go, it isn't anything specific, but it is there. I think the same applies to certain hair styles too.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Gee, this guy had a mustache. BTW - his name is Dr. James Naismith. Seriously, since when did facial hair result in an inability to use good judgment?

Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

MY EYES !!

MY EYES !!

just kidding
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
Do you officiate any other sports?
Yes, softball.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Our assigner has a handle-bar mustache, and maybe two guys have goatees (one is African American, and one is caucasian).

I had a goatee a few games last year, but for the most part I'm clean shaven when I ref (I can't wear a goatee for more than a month at a time anyway due to Air Force regulations.)
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNCref
Yes, softball.
Why are you not clean shaven for softball as you are for basketball?
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 06:25am
Official Forum Member

I've worn a goatee pretty much non-stop since I was 18(11 years now), and have never had it be an issue in officiating(baseball 10 years, basketball starting this year). Then again, I've never been part of an association, as there hasn't been any associations in the areas I've worked in.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:

No, but we have regulations concerning anything that fugly. We don't use officials that make small children cry and the townspeople break out the torches and pitchforks.