The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
If all MS coaches were this reasonable, I'd be very happy to do MS for the rest of my days. Well, with the occasional varsity game at camp. The worst part about MS isn't the lower level of play, but the bad attitudes that coaches have and that players get from their coaches.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by port23
... refs ... They also NEVER play a HOME game.
That's funny!
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by port23
Middle school Team A is driving to basket on fast break at end of second quarter.

Coach A yells to players on bench about proper defensive technique on the last play.

Official interprets the instructions Coach A is yelling as a Time Out call by Coach A. Coach A did not use the words "time" or "out" or anything that rhymes with them.
I guess you won't coach defense when your team has the ball on a fast break anymore.
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Now its an official ruling.

The NFHS took an old case play and ammended it in the 2008-09 Case Book to specifically address this situation for the upcoming season.

NEW*

5.8.3 Situation E: A1 is dribbling the ball in his/her backcourt when: (a) the Team B head coach requests and is erroneously granted a time-out by an official; or (b) the Team A head coach is yelling "side out" offensive instructions to his/her team and the official stops play believing the coach requested a time-out. RULING: In (a), Team B is entitled to use the time-out since it was requested and granted; once granted it cannot be revoked and is charged to Team B. All privileges and rights permitted during a charged time-out are available to both teams. Play will resume with a Team A throw-in nearest to where play was stopped. In (b), an accidental whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)
Old Mon Sep 29, 2008, 06:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
In (b), an accidental whistle has occurred. Team A was not requesting a time-out, and therefore, should not be granted or charged with one. Play is resumed at the point of interruption. (4-36-1; 4-36-2a)
This is the way I've handled similar situations in the past, but it's good to have clerification, specifically in writing - "Side Out!" Coach, what is this volleyball?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

How about the calling official having good situational awareness. If I think I hear "time-out" being called by the coach of the team who has team and player control while said player is on a break-away with under 3-seconds left I'm ignoring it if I'm the lead (focusing on potential travel, foul, intentional foul calls) and if I'm the trail I'm looking at the coach to see if he is indicating a TO. Coaches who want TO's in the final minute of a quarter tend to be quite demonstrative.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This is the way I've handled similar situations in the past, but it's good to have clerification, specifically in writing - "Side Out!" Coach, what is this volleyball?
I've got three new plays that I'll be calling from the bench this year.

"threeseconds"

"overtheback"

"reeeeeach"
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post

"threeseconds"

"overtheback"

"reeeeeach"
If I were a coach and read that case play, I'd start yelling "side out" everytime my team had the ball in the backcourt for 8 seconds (and it wasn't a point in the game where I'd take a TO to avoid the violation). Maybe the ref will blow the whistle and I'll get another 10 seconds.

Heck, I'd even get one of my players to change his name to "Ty Mount" so I could be sure to try to get his attention at such a critical point in the game.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP View Post

"threeseconds"

"overtheback"

"reeeeeach"
Dammit! Now I have to explain to my students why I'm laughing so hard.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
How about the calling official having good situational awareness. If I think I hear "time-out" being called by the coach of the team who has team and player control while said player is on a break-away with under 3-seconds left I'm ignoring it if I'm the lead (focusing on potential travel, foul, intentional foul calls) and if I'm the trail I'm looking at the coach to see if he is indicating a TO. Coaches who want TO's in the final minute of a quarter tend to be quite demonstrative.
I wish this were always the case. I've had soooo many "cool cucumber" coaches who will stand up, glance my way, quietly say "time out" and not even make a gesture, other than to tuck their shirt tail in. Give me something to work with, please.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I wish this were always the case. I've had soooo many "cool cucumber" coaches who will stand up, glance my way, quietly say "time out" and not even make a gesture, other than to tuck their shirt tail in. Give me something to work with, please.
I agree, in my experience, it happens this way quite often. I'd guess around 32.534123413431515% of the time.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Heck, I'd even get one of my players to change his name to "Ty Mount" so I could be sure to try to get his attention at such a critical point in the game.
GREAT! (sarc) Coaches (overt and covert to the forum) are now passing this around for use in their rec leagues this yr! Like I don't have enough to worry about!

Coach - "Ty Mout!"
Ref - Tweet!! "Time Out"
Coach - "What?"
Ref - "You yelled Time Out"
Coach - "No, I was yelling at #16 Ty Mout, trying to get his attention and he wasn't paying attention."
Ref - Tweet!! "Let's go gentlemen, Blue, going that way."
And so it goes......
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yeah, 'cause rec league refs are paying attention to the new case plays.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
GREAT! (sarc) Coaches (overt and covert to the forum) are now passing this around for use in their rec leagues this yr!
Actually, I've fwd'ed Bob's advice to start yelling SIDE OUT with 2 seconds left in a 10 count.......

Old Tue Sep 30, 2008, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
GREAT! (sarc) Coaches (overt and covert to the forum) are now passing this around for use in their rec leagues this yr! Like I don't have enough to worry about!

Coach - "Ty Mout!"
Ref - Tweet!! "Time Out"
Coach - "What?"
Ref - "You yelled Time Out"
Coach - "No, I was yelling at #16 Ty Mout, trying to get his attention and he wasn't paying attention."
Ref - Tweet!! "Let's go gentlemen, Blue, going that way."
And so it goes......
Don't let the coach get away with this! Assess the T for the illegal jersey number