The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Pennsylvania Question

In Pa we have the running clock anytime a team is leading by 40 points in the second half. The clock is stopped only on the following, Shooting fouls, time-outs and long delays (ex: injury) My question that I can not find any confirmation on is when does the clock stop when shooting the fouls. Should it stop when the calling official reports the foul or when the ball is at the free-throwers disposal. Any state clarification would be helpful
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:47am
PYRef

I would suggest you call your interpreter and ask him/her directly. Is that statewide?
As a general assumption, I would guess that it is stopped at the time of the foul but your local interpreter or board member should know. Aren't you issued a handbook that would outline this?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

yep

Yes it is a state wide rule. I have an email into my local interpreter. I was just hoping that someone else from PA may have got clarification. I am the assistant interpreter and have not recieved any documentation and I don't believe the int. recieved any either.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

piaa

This is what was in the handout the year that this rule came into effect:

Adopt Rule 5-5 NOTE, running clock, at all
levels (varsity, junior varsity, or otherwise)
of competition, upon completion of the first
half and one team gains a 40-point differential
over its opponent, the clock shall be
stopped only when an official's time-out is
taken, a charged time-out is granted, a period
ends, or administering free throws.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:32am
PYRef

I would stop it at the time the foul is called. If you are reporting to the table, I would just indicate to them to leave the clock running if they are unsure whether it is a shooting foul or not. JMO
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
administering free throws.
This term isn't defined in the rules (afaik), but it seems to me that it's well after the foul has been called. I'd probably make it when the calling official tells the table that FTs will be shot.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Pa we have the running clock anytime a team is leading by 40 points in the second half. The clock is stopped only on the following, Shooting fouls, time-outs and long delays (ex: injury) My question that I can not find any confirmation on is when does the clock stop when shooting the fouls. Should it stop when the calling official reports the foul or when the ball is at the free-throwers disposal. Any state clarification would be helpful
I have not seen any specific documentation other than to stop the clock for shooting fouls.

It has been my experience that the table stops the clock when it realizes a free throw will be attempted (common foul in the bonus, a foul against the shooter, intentional fouls, technical fouls, etc.). So, as I report the foul to the table, the clock has already been stopped by the timer.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, that's interesting, I believe in Michigan we keep the clock running for FT's.

Mick?
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

use too

We use to keep the clock running in pa as well. Coaches complained and it got changed. It use to be a 40 point rule in the 3rd and a 30 point rule in the 4th rule. One funny thing is what if this happened.

Coach benches starters for the first half, they come out and are down by 40 points in the 3rd. That would mean that the running clock would be in effect. What if they caught up and tied it. Would overtime be a running clock as well?

The rule is yes, OT is a continuation of the 4th quarter.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We use to keep the clock running in pa as well. Coaches complained and it got changed. It use to be a 40 point rule in the 3rd and a 30 point rule in the 4th rule. One funny thing is what if this happened.

Coach benches starters for the first half, they come out and are down by 40 points in the 3rd. That would mean that the running clock would be in effect. What if they caught up and tied it. Would overtime be a running clock as well?

The rule is yes, OT is a continuation of the 4th quarter.
In Mich, I also believe if the team can cut the deficit to 30, the clock goes back to normal.

p.s.
And we do stop for FT's with 2 min to go in the 4th quarter when there was a running clock still in effect.

Last edited by CoachP; Mon Dec 10, 2007 at 12:09pm.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

In our chapter, we've been instructed to have the timer stop the clock after we are done reporting the foul. I include this in my pregame chat with the table.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Coachp is right, the clock stops whenthe diference is less than 30.
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

In California we run the clock with one team ahead 40+ in the 4'th. The only reason that the clock should be stopped is for a time-out (either team or injury)!
Old Mon Dec 10, 2007, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Mi

Not to get others confused, coach is only talking about the Michigan rules. The mercy rule is dictated by state, so it could be different from state to state. For instance in PA once the 40 point rule is in effect it stays that way even if they go under it. (Has to be in the second half)